“Simply Wonderful”
Review of Hilton Malta

Hilton Malta
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed June 28, 2006

I stayed at the Hilton, Malta for two weeks in June with my Husband, son of 5 and daughted of 20 months. It was simply fantastic and cannot find anything to complain about.
We found all the staff to be extremely friendly and excellent with the children. The restaurant staff would offer the kids kinder bars or jellies after breakfast each morning. The buffet breakfast was superb and certainly would leave you feeling full right up until evening time. Pool staff were also very helpful - putting up umbrellas, moving sunbeds for us and even doing first aid, my son had a few falls by the pool as kids do!! and Martin was really great in fixing him up! I have to recommend the Blue Elephant Restaurant, we ate here twice it was so good, deffinately the best Thai food I've ever had and again staff there were great with Children. In short I'd highly recommend this hotel and most deffinately iif you're holidaying with young children as it's in close proximity to shops and restaurants nearby and very child friendly in the hotel itself.

9  Thank Sylvs

Reviewed June 22, 2006

We have just returned from our 1st visit to malta and everything certainly exceded expectations. The hilton is a superb hotel especially if you get the chance to use the Executive Lounge. Also the little unprompted touches like the staff realised my wife's birthday was falling during the stay so sent up a free bottle of bubbly and then gave her a cake at the blue elephant.

The location is excellent with many decent bars and restaurants either nearby or available after a short stroll. I agree with a previous poster regarding the Baracuda restaurant I found this excellent and reasonably priced. The water taxi from the hotel to Valletta is certainly woth doing as well. All in all we were really impressed with Malta and the Hilton

8  Thank PKE1
Reviewed June 14, 2006

I researched this holiday very thoroughly as I was going on my 30th wedding anniversary with my husband, taking my daughter who is 25 and son 20 and his girlfriend. When choosing the Hilton I did consider the comments made by some about the noise from tiled floors above, but decided I would take the chance or asked to be moved if it was too noisy. The holiday was wonderful! We booked with Malta Direct, the staff were helpful and informative, the tickets were correct (although we did not have the right rooms on arrival the hotel quickly sorted it out and we had the correct configeration of rooms), we had two free trips for everyone which was a surprise. The hotel was lovely and the staff helpful, I specially want to mention Martin the pool supervisor who could not do enough and Charles was on the receiption desk ready to give help about any details of visits, taxis, etc etc We had a sea view room which was lovely ( worth getting this) my daughter had a marina view which was also very nice, but not as nice as the sea view.A reviewer said it was not worth getting evening meal they were right! there are so many nice resurants around that it is better to be in a position to try them. Breakfast was very varied and we found we did not have to eat much before the evening!
The pool was lovely, but a little cold. The resturants I would recommend are the Barracuda which is near by and specially good is the sea bass. The Blue Elephant in the Hilton Hotel (Thai) we had our anniversary meal there wonderful!!! Also the Korean rest. The Bed in the Marina near the Hilton, absolutely fantastic!! the decor, and the food. We went by bus to the ferry to get to Comino (well worth going to) it was a good alternative to a boat trip all the way. The Maltese Experience in Valleta and theKnights of St John were also great experiences. We did not book beforehand but wish we had for the prehistoric catacombes this needs to be booked well in advance. St Julians is a busy place but that was ideal with adult children in the party it is easy to get round the Island by bus and it is lively with lots to do or you can sit by the pool (there are parts of the Island with sandy beaches but not St Julians) or you can do various water sports
It is a holiday I could recommend and I am grateful to the other people who put their comments on this website as it helped me to chose a really successful holiday, I feel I would go back to this Island and Hotel (by the way we did hear abit of noise from upstairs but nothing to be really bothering, and I am quite sensitive to noise! - but there were a couple of wedding which were in the grounds and the noise went on until about 11pm which I thought was reasonable) Thanks again

14  Thank VioletJ
Reviewed June 13, 2006

Me and my New Hubby went to this Hotel on 23rd May 2006 on our honeymoon, I have to say this is the best Holiday we have ever had and the hotel was the best we have ever stayed in. The Staff were very friendly & helpfull at all times, the breakfast buffet was amazing, so much to chose from and again really friendly helpfull staff. The rooms were very clean, the resturant we tried in the hotel was nice but very expensive. The best resturant we found and also the chepest one we found was the Avenue in Paceville, all the other resturants were really quite pricey. Overall Malta is quite an expensive place but lovely, we will be going back next year and staying here again. Watch out for the very slippy tiled pavements, expensive street cafe's (Best place to buy a softdrink is from the vending machiene at the portomaso complex, it's only about 60p ish, the others are much more expensive) Also watch out for the crazy Maltese Drivers who screech to a stop when someone is crossing a road. They are quite crazy drivers!!

• Stayed: May 2006
7  Thank Jenny M
Reviewed June 11, 2006

I have just returned from a week at the Malta Hilton. The hotel is wonderful, it has an amazing lobby which looks down over the restaurant and out to the pools and the sea. The staff are warm and friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them. Rooms are clean, bright and airy.
The food is good with a wide range of tates catered for, breakfast will keep you going for hours. The hotel has a number of pools and a beach club to keep you amused, if the shopping in Valetta and Sliema is too tiring! Plus of curse all the other wonderful places to visit like Medina and Gozo

Away from the hotel there are a number of good restaurants in the St Julians/Portomasa area. Caffee Portomaso above the small shopping mall/supermarket next to the Portomaso tower has a wide range of food. It is clean, the staff are helpful and it is reasonably priced. I particularly recommend the white chocolate cheesecake made by the owner's sister - heaven on a plate! Two more restaurants - Kandles and The Avenue are also very good. Kandles is a mix of Italian and Maltese cooking in a several hundered year old building full of charm and character.Food very good, pizzas amazing. The Avenue is opposite Kandles. Modern but with a menu to meet most tastes, portions are huge so you won't leave there hungry. Both these restaurants can be found on Pacevill Avenue.

9  Thank madlings
Reviewed June 10, 2006

So here is the deal. I booked this room on [--] and either failed to note or was not explicitly informed that the booking price was in Maltese Lira or Pounds and not USD. I booked a "Deluxe King" with and oceon view at a rate of 168 MTL/night which at the time seemed great thinking it was USD. I decided to get out of Rome for the weekend out of respect for my lungs and had never been to malta so thought that it would be worth the $300+ last minute plane ride.
Keep in mind that I am taking this trip alone because myh girlfriend is on her way to Sweden so I'm really just looking to relax above all and see some new parts of the world. Anyways... due to a lack of carefull planning on my part I come to find upon arrival that the Maltese Lira is a bout three times stronger than the U.S. dollar and that my $8 cab ride to the hotel is now more like $30 with tip. Here is my first complaint, being that the Hilton offers no shuttle service to and from the airport. My arrival was a warm one and I was greated by very warm staff as well as that fantastic fruit drink they often have at sunny resorts. Upon checking in the conierge informed me that she had upgraded me to the Presidential Sweet which came as a surprise but at no extra charge I was not going to jump to any question asking just yet. The total price for the room showed 500 dollars (lira really) and looked fine to me so I followed Yorgan up to the 10th floor. Too make a long story short....
I spent three nights in a ridiculous sweet with incredible views of the sea and harbor center. The room was incredible and was hard to even leave. Unfortunately staying in room also created some misconceptions among the staff as I felt that they almost feared me at times merely because of my room number. Not knowing that I was just some absent minded traveler and not a pro sports star or C.E.O. spending a weekend alone in a presidential sweet, they were very concerned with my privacy as well as providing subperb service. A few times I had to tell some of them just to relax and that I would take care of something so simple as walking down the hall for a cup of ice. The hotel is beautiful and will be even more so upon the completion of their 5th or so pool which boarders the sea. A casino will be opening up downstairs as well I believe. Of the Hilton restaurants I went only to the "Blue Elephant" which I couldn't resist but to visit twice during my stay. The food was the best thai I have had ever and the waitstaff were very respectfull and acoomadating.
Basically the big downside for me and any American tourist is that you're going to pay an arm and a leg for everything regardless. The prices seem for the most part like they would be fair if they were to be doubbled in order to reflect U.S. dollars but trippling the price brings something like an imported beer (budweiser) into the realm of $10 USD! It made it very hard to tip as well as I usually do and I fealt guilty at times but could not let myself through $3 to someome for bringing me one beer.
The nightlife in the town is fantastic if you like the cubs and the island is rich in history and should certainly be explored. The weather was not fantastic while I was there and gett the feeling that it can be somewhat off and on most of the time. The spa downstairs was great and made even a guy feel comfortable while walking into a room surounded by beauty products. There is a formidable gym which also caters to the local uper class as well as a Toni & Guy hair salon for those interested.
Beware the mixed drinks are very weak in comparrison to the states and you are best to order beer most of the time. Just judgin the Hilton however I though that overall it was a great hotel and after Malta adopts the Euro in 08' I would consider going back whith hopes of somewhat more reasonable prices for us Americans. Go check it out!

p.s. My bill total after the lavish stay was to the tune of $1700 after adding room charges from dining and drinks, etc. I probably could have weasled out of this situation but hey, you only live once, right? Safe travelling... cheers.

Also, this sweet was so big I really got lost the first few times I would enter, truly unbelievable.

10  Thank BigSquam
Reviewed June 8, 2006

The Hilton at the Portomaso complex is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in Malta. The service is excellent and there are many restaurant choices in the area, especially at Portomaso.

The only disappointment was the Zen Buddist restaurant at Portomaso. The prices were extremely high and the portions very small. It is the only time I can ever remember walking out of a restaurant hungry after eating two appetizers and an entree.

• Stayed: May 2006
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 28 in Sliema

Been to Hilton Malta? Share your experiences!