“Excellent Hotel”
Review of Hilton Malta

Hilton Malta
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We have been to Malta many times over the years staying at different hotels. Last year we heard that the Hilton was very good so we decided to try it and were not dissapointed. We stayed at he end of May and because it was bank holiday week it was quite busy. However the hotel was excellent, we had an executive plus room and it was well worth the extra. This gave us access to the executive lounge and the business lounge which was very handy as we had left our business for a short break and could easily check e-mails and work quietly if needed.
We had a lovely sea view room and could either have breakfast in the executive lounge or the main dining room (we always chose the lounge as it was quieter), also afternoon tea was served in the exec lounge between 3.00pm and 5.30pm then canapies and drinks between 6.00pm -8.00pm, this was included in the price of the executive room which we thought was excellent value.
There was a choice of restaurants to eat in, our favourite though was the Italian restaurant which was situated next to the main restaurant and well worth a visit. Being vegetarians sometimes it is difficult abroad however this restaurant had several choices for veggies.
The hotel is lovely with very friendly staff from the cleaning and waiting staff to the management, all were very helpfull. The pool area was vast with a sandy area for the children which we thought was a nice touch and there was also access to the rocks where you could bath in the sea.
We will definately stay here again on our next visit to Malta, and thank all the staff there for a lovely well needed break.

Room Tip: Choose an executive room they are well worth the extra.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Philippa M, Administration at Hilton Malta, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Signer1,

Thank you for your review.

I was delighted to read that you chose the Hilton Malta to enjoy your well needed break.

Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Wishing you a great Summer.

Philippa

Write a ReviewReviews (4,966)

Reviewed June 20, 2013

It's a really great property in St. Julians, just few steps from the heart of city but in quiet location. There is a lots of cafes, reataurants and shops in the nearby. Bus stop maybe 5-7 min away. The staff at the front desk were very responsive to all my needs and request. Fast and uncomplicated check-in. My room was spacious, modern and clean with tea/coffee facilities, big bathroom, TV and minibar. Nice see side view. Good and fresh breakfast was included in my rate.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Danuts2013,

I thank you for the taking the time to share your comments.

I was delighted to read that you had a great stay with us and enjoyed the facilities which the hotel has to offer.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on Philippa.mifsud@hilton.com for any future assistance.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

My reviews tend to be positive, but not this time. At the Hilton Malta I had booked an Executive King Sea View room and at my arrival to the hotel (after 14:00 hours) the room wasn't even ready. My credit card was charged a 900 € deposit for an already paid three day stay. As a diplomat for the first time I felt treated like a criminal!

I waited in the Executive Lounge, which had nothing to offer and where even the coffee machine was broken. At last I was offered a room which barely a sea view, which I promply refused. But all the sudden a room was found, even if the hotel was supposed to be "full". No apologies here. My impression is that this hotel allocates the best executive rooms for upgraded HHonors Diamond and Gold members and not for those who actually pay for them. Fair?

My room was certainly comfortable, but it was also a bit weired. An extremely tiny wardrobe was next to the door, the safe was located virtually at the floor level and the place for luggage next to the windows, at the other side of the room. There was a set of sofas, but these were not next to the television set. My bathroom had both an oval sink and a shower, but no glasses at all.

The Executive Lounge has some spendid views and is well decorated, but otherwise it is a joke. During my three days in the hotel I never heard even a "Good morning". The older waiters were more interested in useless discussions with some (upgraded?) guests rather than doing their job, the younger ones were much more sympathic. The breakfast was quite basic and I had to point out that there was no cheese or no glasses or no forks etc. During the afternoon hours they serve some cakes and in the evening some booze (but only i.a. a VS cognac) and canapés. That's all. It is not worth the extra money.

The outdoor pools are nice, but there is a 20€ penalty for a lost/stolen towel. I found this practice unacceptable for a 5 star hotel. The indoor pool is useless because of many pillars and children are often playing there, so swimming is out of question. The indoor pool area and the saunas were not very clean. This hotel charges 15€ a day for wi-fi. In the Executive Lounge the wi-fi is free of charge.

The location is far away from everything. A bus drive to Valletta takes 40-60 minutes, the regular bus to the airport at least 1 hour. In the neighborhood there are not many bars, restaurants etc. If you are actually interested in sightseeing, do not stay here. And if you value good service, even less. During my stay, one afternoon siesta (with "do not disturb" outside my door) was interrupted by a bellhop who knocked and knocked and then presented himself with "my" luggage, which belonged to someone else.

When I checked out it was early morning. Again no "How was your stay?" or anything else. This hotel just wants your money and treats you accordingly. Now, at a 5 star hotel one expects some service and at least some courtesy. This was not the case with my visit to Hilton Malta. I hope the others will be more lucky, but I doubt it. And please do not believe in the reviews written by upgraded Diamond or Gold members - this bad hotel encourages them to write to Tripadvisor.

Room Tip: On the 10th floor the corridor and the rooms can easily be warm.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
11  Thank DiplTraveller
MariaGhebresselasie, Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear DiplTraveller,

I am extremely sorry to read the shortfalls you experience from your review. I would very much like the opportunity to liaise with you personally, and to that end I would ask you to provide me with your contact details so I may be able to follow up with you personally. I may be contacted on maria.ghebresselasie@hilton.com.

Maria Ghebresselasie
Director of Operations

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Just spent a week at the Hilton Malta, and had a fantastic stay there. I'd wanted to stay at this particular Hilton for some time, having seen good reviews in the past, and I have to say it doesn't disappoint.

We arrived late on a Saturday night, but checking in was swift and hassle-free. As Hilton HHonors Gold members, we were allocated an executive room which was a nice bonus and very much appreciated. The room was spotlessly clean and comfortable - the bathroom had a bath, separate shower, and twin sinks, and the room had a balcony with a nice sea view. The only slight drawback is that the room was quite a walk from reception, and even further down to breakfast and the pool areas, but this isn't really anything to worry about.

The breakfast buffet is up to the usual high Hilton standard - loads of choice and you can really fill yourself up for the day. The breakfast restaurant does sometimes get quite busy, but we never had to wait more than a couple of minutes to be seated. On one busy day, I noticed we were seated in the adjoining restaurant area, so they do their best to manage the busy times. The most notable things for me at breakfast were the fresh orange juice and the coffee - the best coffee I've had in a long time, and something a lot of Hiltons seem to be cutting back on as the quality seems to vary a lot from one place to another nowadays.

The pool areas are excellent - four outside pools and one inside, although one of the outside pools were closed early June, as still outside peak season, and another outside pool was closed on another day with no explanation. Still two to choose from though, and we never had any problem finding sunbeds or towels. The pools were quite cold, but nice enough once you got used to it.

As a holidaymaker, I felt perfectly welcome and comfortable here - I think it caters perfectly for all sorts of travellers.

The executive lounge is excellent, if you are lucky enough to have a room that includes access. It has excellent views overlooking the pool area and sea, and offers breakfast, afternoon tea and evening snacks and drinks. The service there, as in the rest of the hotel, cannot be faulted. It does get busy in the evening, but we could usually find a seat.

We had dinner in one of the hotel restaurants one evening - my friend said it was one of the best meals he's had.

We hired a car for a couple of days and one tip I'd offer is to make sure reception correctly validate your parking ticket - we couldn't get out of the car park on our second day, and had to hold up traffic while we buzzed through to the parking people to let us out. Also remember where you park the car, it's a bit of a maze down in the car park! Driving on Malta is a bit of an adventure - very poorly signed, and some driving of questionable quality on the roads!

This hotel, and all its staff, are a credit to the Hilton brand. Perfect.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Philippa M, Adminsitration at Hilton Malta, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear e16guy,

Thank you for your wonderful review.

I was thrilled to read that you had a fantastic holiday with us at the Hilton Malta. Your lovely comments have been shared with all the Team.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Regards

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We have just spent a fantastic week at The Hilton. Everything was perfect. The staff were most helpful and friendly. Rooms were excellent and all public areas were first class. all the pools were amazing. The food first class. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Fiona L

Dear Fiona L

We are appreciative of your kind words regarding your recent stay.

We do hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Absolutely superb hotel. We particularly enjoyed the various bars within the hotel, sampling the excellent food this hotel has to offer. We had intended to try out a few local restaurants nearby, but were so taken with the food and atmosphere at the hotel, we stayed in most nights. A cliche I know, but the staff made our stay particularly enjoyable - I can't think of another hotel I've stayed in where absolutely every member of staff was so polite, courteous, friendly and knowledgeable. This is a notable achievement especially in such a large and busy hotel.

My only disappointment was the jazz band in the quarterdeck bar - there wasn't one! (as mentioned in the room blurb on Friday night).

Rooms were to a high standard and maintained very well. very nice swimming pool/area to relax in, as you might expect at a Hilton.

Breakfast was of the highest standard with freshly cooked omelettes amongst the highlights!

Room Tip: Afternoon sun is on the marina side, which we found a bit quieter as well.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Philippa M, Administration at Hilton Malta, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear LittleSoot

Thank you for your amazing review.

It is always a pleasure to read that we have exceeded our customers’ expectations and your comments with regards to the high quality and variety of food have been shared with the Chef and his team.

My apologies for the incorrect information on the internal room information, this will be seen to immediately.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was our first visit to this hotel and to the island of Malta. We flew scheduled with Air Malta but you can also travel with Easyjet - both are competitively priced. On arrival at Malta airport there is a taxi booth in the arrivals area. You pay for the taxi there and are given a numbered receipt so that everyone is picked up in order. The fare to the Hilton is 20euros and takes about 20 minutes. The hotel is extremely large and built on an incline so as other reviewers have said, it can take a while to get your bearings as different lifts serve different areas and to may have to get lifts in three different areas to get down to the pool level. We had an executive room which had a king size bed, bathroom with spa bath and walk in shower and twin sinks, a sitting area and a balcony with sea view. We took breakfast in the main breakfast area which provided an extensive buffet. with something for everyone. The chefs were on hand to cook a different type of omelette each morning. Several people have commented that the hotel focus' on the conferenced clients to the expense of holidaymakers, however we did not find this the case and actually having people there on business meant that there were fewer people round the pools and so there were plenty of sunbeds always available. We had two weddings in the week that we were there but again this did not affect our holiday particularly - it just meant that one of the pool areas was closed from 3pm to accommodate the wedding reception. My only slight disappointment with the hotel is that despite requesting a high floor when we booked (10 months prior to the holiday) we were not allocated one. We found all the staff at the Hilton to be a credit to the company.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank discerningcouple

Dear Discerningcouple,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

I was glad to note that you enjoyed your stay at the Hilton Malta. I would greatly appreciate if you could contact me personally on Philippa.mifsud@hilton.com so that I can update your profile with your preference of a room on the high floor. Although we can never guarantee such request, I like to place it on your profile for any future bookings.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
#1 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Le Meridien St. Julians
Le Meridien St. Julians
#7 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Hilton Malta? Share your experiences!