“Christmas in Malta”
Review of Hilton Malta

Hilton Malta
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton Malta from the 20th to 30th of December 2012. The quality of the hotel and surroundings cannot be faulted, it truly looks like the best money can get.

All the staff I encountered while staying at Hilton Malta were absolutely fantastic - special credit should go to one of the breakfast staff called Abigail - very friendly and attentive and also the maids who looked after room 103.

I didn't try the outdoor pools but only because nobody else was and I didn't want to look like a nutball. I can imagine in summer the whole outdoor area would be a fantastic place to be. I did try the indoor pool and spa areas and thought they were very good, if perhaps a little small but more than enough for the amount of people who wanted to use them when I was there.

However, the reason I am doubtful that I will stay there again was because of the room. I was allocated room 103, which although a really great room in terms of space and amenities, was not to my liking. The view from the balcony was one flight up overlooking the most extreme corner of the marina, so really no view at all. It was also almost directly under the bar so was extremely noisy at certain times. I asked to swap rooms, having read in the Hilton Christmas advertising that free room upgrades were availible over the Christmas period but the receptionist wasn't able to find me one - I suspect if I was paying full price and hadn't managed to locate a good deal online that a room would have been free. Indeed, some other reviewers on here have confirmed they had upgrades and the impression I get is they were paying more. Instead the receptionist wrote a number down (the nightly discounted rate I was paying?) and then spent ten minutes confirming they were fully booked apart from rooms that were being refurbished.

Had I been able to swap rooms for one with a better view I would have no qualms whatsoever about recommending Hilton Malta to everyone. However, the whole reason I booked there and not at Hotel Juliani or the Dragonara was because of the potential room upgrade and superior views possible with Hilton Malta and on this they did not deliver.

Service - Most of the staff when asked for anything were great. Room was always spotless; breakfast staff very attentive - especially Abigail who was a great waitress and just adorable!
Value - A difficult one. I got a great deal through Travel Republic so on that front the value was incredible. However, the food and drink outside of the B&B deal was quite expensive - I don't mind paying for the ambience but 6.50 for a beer just encouraged me to go elsewhere in the evenings.
Sleep Quality - The kingsize bed was very comfy ... on the left hand side - the right hand side was sloping and not conducive to a good night's sleep at all. It is a common problem in hotel as it isn't a true kingsize bed but rather two single clamped together - in this case not done properly. This was another reason why I wanted to change rooms but couldn't.
Cleanliness - First rate, could not have been better.
Location - Malta being so small, most locations are pretty good. However, St Julian was perfect for me as all the amenities you could want were all within reach.
Rooms - The size and design of the rooms are fantastic, no fault there. If you are allocated a room with a marina view, especially on the first floor, I would recommend you try your best to get it changed. Room 103 was just too low and in the setback corner for decent views and you also have to deal with the noise from both the bar above and people walking around the marina feet below your window. Doesn't sound much but people constantly walking over the wooden bridge feet away from the balcony makes a bit of a racket.
Spa - Adequately sized indoor pool, decent sized steam room and sauna were used by me and were good. There is also squash courts, a fully equipped gym and squash courts but I didn't try them.
Breakfast - I liked to have a hot breakfast, then a cold serving of fruit or cold meats and in this you cannot fault the Hilton. The only minor criticisms I would have are the bacon was always well done although still tasty. Mushrooms should be on every day and it took me 3 days to realise I could ask the omelette (sic?) guy for fried or poached eggs but that's probably my fault.

I joined the Hilton Honours scheme and intend, where possible, to stay at Hiltons around the world as the brand cannot be faulted. However, when I return to Malta in the summer (I loved the country so much I will definitely be returning with my daughter) I will have to consider carefully if I choose this one again or stay at one of the equally fine competitors in the area.

Room Tip: Marina views are okay if higher up but the sea view rooms are by far the best. If allocated Rooms 1...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Perch_Original
Anne Marie S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear Perch_Original

I hope you are well. I wish to assure you that it is our committed aim to meet every possible expectation of each one of our guests and, for this reason, I am sincerely sorry that you left The Hilton disappointed with the room you were allocated in. Unfortuneatly, during the period mentioned above the hotel was running at almost full occupancy (and also some rooms under refurbishment) so changing room would be a very challenging thing for us.

Please rest assured, that should you wish to book again with us, do not hesitate to contact me directly on annemarie.scicluna@hilton.com and I will personally take care in allocating a high floor room for you.

Thank you again for your write up and I do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We spent Christmas in Malta and had a great stay at the Hilton Malta! We had a very nice suite room with an awesome view overlooking the pools and ocean. The staff was great and there was even mulled wine in the lobby! The afternoon snacks in the Executive Lounge were some of the best I have seen. I had ordered afternoon tea in the lobby lounge (which was a great deal for 13 euros) and most of the same items (sandwiches, scones, and desserts) were available in the Executive Lounge for their afternoon tea. My only comment here would be the water used to make the tea in the Executive Lounge tasted funny. We didn’t go to the executive lounge in the evening, so I can’t comment on their offerings then. Breakfast down in the Oceania restaurant was the usual good fare of the Hilton’s breakfast buffets. My husband has to eat gluten free and they would make him gluten free fried potatoes every morning in addition to his omelet .We had treatments at the spa, and while they were perfectly fine, the spa facilities are just OK. You have to go down to the indoor pool area to use the sauna and steam room, so there are no spa facilities exclusively for the spa guests. The indoor pool was actually a decent temperature, unlike other indoor hotel pools in Europe which always seem too cold to me. My only complaint would be that a few days into our stay, the sitting portion of our suite started smelling like cigarette smoke, so we kept the balcony door open most of the day to air it out. It was too cold to do this a night though. We let the front desk know, but I am not sure there is really much they can do about it if it is a design flaw with the ventilation system or something since all the rooms around us were non-smoking. We let the front desk know the second day, and although again nothing seemed to change, they did send up a complimentary bottle of Malta white wine for our troubles. So I can’t really fault them for their service. On the last day, the room started smelling like a sewer, again not sure what the issue is, but it wouldn’t stop me from staying at the Hilton Malta again. I would love to be able to go back and stay in the warmer months when the pools are actually open

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LasVegasCindy
Anne Marie S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear LasVegasCindy

Happy New Year to you and all your family!
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about our hotel. These comments are always highly appreciated. Your write up was also passed on to our housekeeping manager for her attention.

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in the summer and had a great time, so decided to stay again for New years eve and weren't disappointed. The staff very friendly, food was great, lovely view over the sea, would recommend this hotel to all age groups. Went to the New Year's Eve gala, very good and a great band. A very good location.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Anne Marie S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear HelenB61

Happy New Year to you!
Thank you very much for your comments. It is always a pleasure to welcome guests back.
We value greatly such encouraging and complimentary comments which help us focus on the important things in the hospitality industry.

Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We recently stayed at the Hilton Malta to celebrate Christmas.
Parking accessible and free for residents, check-in was fast and we were upgraded to an Executive Plus room, in the new wing! Just wonderful! A king size bed facing a sea view balcony and a most modern bathroom!
We went down to the bar, ordered room service the next day for breakfast and used the spa.
An excellent experience - we are looking forward to the next stay!

Room Tip: We had room 1157

Dear CBB8489

Happy New Year to you too!
Thank you for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcome you back!

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Feeling really fit after all our work outs in the gym and pool. Thanks for making our stay so good and welcoming see you again hopefully sooner than later,The hospitality is excelent No more words are needed to be said.and now just to say wishing you all a very Happy Christmas and prosperous New year

Dear antonia w

Happy Festive Season to you too!
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on our hotel.
We look forward to welcome you back in the very near future.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I've already reviewed this excellent hotel following our summer holiday but I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Malta, it's fabulous from the cleanliness, to the food, the location and of course the staff who are so friendly and helpful, we loved it so much we have booked again for next summer - can't wait!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank JulesC1970

Dear JulesC1970

Happy Festive Season!
Thank you very much for your kind comments. We look forward to welcome you again in Summer.
Should you need anything prior to your arrival, do not hesitate to contact me directly on annemarie.scicluna@hilton.com

See you soon!

Anne Marie

Reviewed December 16, 2012

We have just enjoyed a good winter break at the Malta Hilton. The hotel was very clean and comfortable but we were unable to adjust the temperature of our room and the weather had suddenly become cooler. The Duty Manager Andrea was very helpful and efficient and moved us to an upgraded room with adjustable heating/cooling controls and a luxury bathroom with a heated floor. The restaurants in the hotel are good but quite pricey. We thought it a pity that, in a five star hotel, there is no free wifi access in either rooms or most public areas.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a heated floor in the bathroom. Sea view or marina view are both ok.
2  Thank Lynda H
Anne Marie S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

Dear Lynda H

Thank you very much for your comments.
We are very sorry that we have to inconvenience you to move rooms but we do hope that we have made up for the issue.

We look forward to welcome you back in the very near future

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 28 in Sliema

Been to Hilton Malta? Share your experiences!