“Chill out for bedbugs…”

Boho Hostel
London, United Kingdom
“Chill out for bedbugs…”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

First night, first bedbugs when I was looking for a relaxing week in Malta to escape the cold from Northern Europe in mid-November. I changed the room; there was some relief for some time, but my clothes were obviously still contaminated with these very unpleasant parasites. However, the staff denied and ignored the facts to me with the excuse of having only mosquito bits.

When I complained to the owner next morning, and I asked for washing my clothes free of charge, she threatened to throw me out by the police while I expressed my intention to write a negative review on this hostel problem of bedbugs. I was discredited by the owner of having a bedbug phobia, but finally I got my clothes (shirt and underwear) washed. Thus, I kept calm under pressure.

I thought that I got rid of the bedbugs, because parts of my clothes were washes. However, they reappeared around my neck (I have taken photos of the bits), and I could only get rid of them in washing my clothes, myself and my suitcase at home. I had nervous nights until being sure that I did not bring them into my own bed at home from Boho hostel.

It was a very annoying ignorant deterioration of my short holidays in this beautiful country of Malta! Next time to be avoided.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank D0nald313
HMalta, Owner at Boho Hostel, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Hello there,
We're so sorry, but we can't seem to find any 'Donald from the UK' showing up in our records as having stayed with us in November.
We're assuming you've used another name, so if you'd be so kind as to email us with your actual name and date of stay we'll be more than happy to look into the events that occured.
However, having gone through your other hotel contributions (as part of your Trip Advisor Profile seen to all), I can't help but notice that 3 out of the 4 hotels you'ven written on had the same title, 'Bed Bugs!', and I also couldn't help but notice according to your post, your actions followed the same pattern: You complain about bed bugs, have staff wash your clothes for free, threaten to leave a bad review, and finally get a refund.
So, with all due respect, I'm going to take this review with a pinch of salt and encourage readers to do the same.
Rgds,
Penny
Owner Boho Hostel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Boho hostel was just what the doctor order, Penny the owner will go above and beyond to ensure you feel welcomed and comfortable. A great space with a lush garden to relax in, a short walk to St Julians Bay, a fully equipped kitchen, lockers, good showers and clean rooms. The best kind of hostel, with that friendly vibrant atmosphere which is a rare find these days. The staff are all great fun and will join in on a fun night out in Paceville.

Angelholm, Sweden
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Has to be the best hostel in Malta.. Spacious place with nice outside chill out area. Staff friendly and very helpful. Close access to St Julians bay and Paceville night life area. After staying in other hostels in Malta, this one is the best!

San Sebastian - Donostia, Spain
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I liked this place so much , it's cozy , friendly , the common areas are great to hangout and to get in contact with other travellers , you can get some people together to make barbeque and it's perfect for especially for solo travellers because you make friends in no time . I also liked one little detail a lot : sometimes people would forget shampoo or sun cream etc. or would leave it on purpose because at the airport they would take it anyway , so instead of throwing it away each bathroom had a shelf with stuff free to use for everyone. Bonus points: The young lady who runs Boho hostel is a real treasure !

Maribor, Slovenia
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Boho is amazing place to stay! I loved the atmosphere there, it has a big common room and a beautiful garden which are great places for meeting other travelers and making new friendships. I have met a lot of new friends and we were exploring the island together. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and the owner, Penny is very professional. They also organized a barbeque for all of us and I felt like we were one big family. I would definetly reccommend this hostel, especially to solo travellers!

Birmingham, UK
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This spacious villa provides the weary traveller with a great welcome, The atmosphere is friendly without being OTT, helpful, 'can-do' and above all very restful. Penny, the wonderful manager, goes the extra mile and beyond to help you get sorted, including travel arrangements etc - she's a real star. My fellow travellers were very friendly and easy to get on with. Great garden & verandah area. The hostel is clean and the kitchen functional. Opportunity to get that washing done (!). Mini super-markets are within 5-10 minutes walk, as is bus into town. We used to walk in to Sliema (the yacht club) in about 30-40 minutes. Swimming, bars & restos down in Balluta Bay (10-15 mins walk). Would I stay here again ? DEFO :)

Room Tip: I was in the all male dorm (max 6) facing South, away from the nearby main road - all quiet & pe...