“The perfect seafood restaurant!”
Review of Vermell - CLOSED

Vermell
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Brilliant seafood, service is just so kind and caring, can't miss out! A absolute must go if you're a fan of seafood. Very reasonable prices, a huge plate of giant king prawns with spaghetti, mussels, clams and lovely prawn sauce only €20! If you are visiting Malta, you have to go to this place, it is just exquisite!

1  Thank Jason W

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stumbled upon this restaurant on a Tuesday night and was amazed by the welcoming vibe in the restaurant. With an impeccable service and delicious food, they surely have the perfect recipe for success. We were a table of 4 who each had different seafood dishes...not only the seasoning was perfect and the pasta cooked as it should be (al dente) but the portions were very generous. Will surely visit again and will recommend this place to everyone. Keep up the great work!

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Booked a table for two at this restaurant and asked for an outside table. On arrival we were warmly greeted. Just two young ladies serving but very pleasant and efficient. Shown to our table and from then on service was excellent. Really nice starters and we picked the John Dory for our main course. It wasn't cheap but we were shown it first and advised of the cost. Nice touch.We had the choice to fillet the fish ourselves when it had been cooked or have it filleted. We chose the latter. Beautiful main course. The whole evening was such a pleasure with service,drinks and food just excellent. Highly recommend this restaurant. Well done all.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Our first meal in Malta for lunch and we were not disappointed! For me the starter portion of seafood spaghetti was enough but my husband went for the main portion. Very yummy food. The place is quite unknown to most people but we really enjoyed our food. I also liked the music they were playing.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Vermell got it right in so many ways that it's hard to decide where exactly to start. So I'll start from the beginning.

We passed by Vermell some time ago and decided to book for our anniversary. Five minutes later, Amy, the restaurant manager called on my cell phone. She had just realized that on that day there would be the village feast. Since it was going to be our anniversary, she figured we'd want some peace and quite and that maybe the ruckus of the feast would ruin it for us. So she asked whether we still wanted to keep the booking, although she recommended against it. I was impressed by such thoughtfulness. We rescheduled for my birthday.

On our visit, we were greeted very nicely. All members of staff were courteous, well groomed (up to well manicured hands) and well informed about the restaurant's offering.

For starters, my partner had fish cakes. I asked for the pasta with sea urchins. The host informed me that they were not in stock, since the sea urchins that were available at that time were of inferior quality and they did not feel confident offering them to their clientele. So I ordered the mussels. Both starters were beautiful and delicious. My portion was a sizable one and the fishcakes were home-made and delicious - definitely not the dreary, ready-made affairs you find in supermarkets.

For main course, we had the rib eye. My partner had it with pepper sauce. I asked to have it plain but with some garlic butter on the side. Although the option wasn't on the menu, the host and chef were happy to oblige. The meat was grilled perfectly to spec. It was tender and juicy with just the right hint of char from the grill. The accompanying sides were wonderful too. Once again, very healthy portions.

The wine list was also very accessible, with decently priced, good entry-point wines, all the way up to finer selections. The desserts were to die for. I had the brownie and it was the most marvelous way to end our dining experience.

As for the bill, the items were very fairly priced when you consider the excellent quality and wonderful service you get. This it not a snack bar, it's a dining experience, and you expect to pay accordingly. Having said that, the bill still didn't break the bank and we actually spent less than we had budgeted. And by the way, we're no strangers to the fine restaurant scene.

We were extremely pleased with every little detail at Vermell and we will definitely be going back.

On a final "unrelated" note, Vermell were more than happy to accept our 2-year-old son in the restaurant. However we managed to make arrangements and find a baby sitter, so we didn't take him. Although the restaurant doesn't object to hosting children, I don't think it's a place for them. The atmosphere is lovely and having children cry and romp around would really ruin it. So, unless the child can really behave, I think it's only fair -out of respect for everyone- to not bring your kids with you to the restaurant. But that's just my opinion and I speak exclusively for myself.

1  Thank Cedric D