“Good choice for Maltese cuisine”
Review of Gululu Restaurant

Gululu Restaurant
Ranked #61 of 332 Restaurants in Saint Julian's
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We were recommended this restaurant by our local hotel as a place where we could sample quality local cuisine. Our first visit on Mon 17 February happened to coincide with the staff annual party and it was closed, but our second visit was more successful. The rabbit pie was delicious - perfectly cooked pastry enclosing a thick, creamy sauce. There wasn't a great selection for our nine year old son, but we weren't necessarily expecting this. The continuous opening of the glass door meant it got a bit draughty at times - don't expect this to be a problem in the summer!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,349)

Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

We are long time regulars at Gululu. Apart from the excellent food and beautiful location it is the staff that keep us going back. They are genuinely happy to see us (and all their other clients) and run Gululu as if it were their own restaurant or home.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I had been longing to try out this traditional maltese restaurant and to be honest it did not disappoint!!

As we walked in we were greeted by a friendly waiter.. We had booked a table in advance and since we were there slightly early, we still managed to get a really good seat in the restaurant by the sea!!!!

As we were sat at our table.. I asked one of the waiters to recommend some good dishes !! Luckily we were instructed to try out some "mize's" by the shift manager!! We had a selection of four small dishes.. The presentation was excellent and the food was unbelievably very good..

For mains my friend had traditional beef olives with roasted potatoes and grilled veg and I had an exceptional lamb shank.. With the same condiments..

The food in general was just sublime.. We were very happy with the food quality and service !!

We were too full to try out any desserts however we were enjoying our good bottle of Sicilian white wine!!!

This turned out to be an exceptional Sunday afternoon ..

I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone willing to try out some traditional maltese food ... I felt that the quality of the food was excellent and the value for money was very good!! Will definitely be back!!!

A big thanks goes to 'Mandy , Vanessa, Brian, Paul and Matthew for an outstanding service... They should be very proud of their job!!! They were just outstanding all throughout!!!

Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Been here the last 2 times ive been to malta and it has been the best food by far! My fiance is maltese and she said the rabbit spaghetti is the best shes tasted barr her mums, so thats saying something! Well worth a visit service, atmosphere and general feel of the place is totally maltese. Good wine and lovely fitra go visit this slice of malta.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

I cannot stop waxing lyrical about this place. It has everything: Atmosphere, welcome, service, food, it's an absolute joy to go here. I try and go here as much as I can.
The menus are changed quite regularly, but it's the classic Maltese staples like Fenek or Ghajin Grieg that fills me with that special wonder that really encapsulates what it is to be in Malta.
Whether you like Hobz or love L-Imquarret you have come to the right place, and pssst: they even do pizzas.
Great wine, good vibes and great company I have nothing but love for this great value for money authentic kitchen!