“A restaurant from 'Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares'”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Raffael

Raffael
Ranked #158 of 306 Restaurants in Saint Julian's
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“A restaurant from 'Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares'”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

Microwaved / reheated pasta and meat balls = food poisoning.
Baked macaroni was very dry and the cheese layer looked like plastic. What chef / owner would pride themselves with microwaved / reheated food???

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Aciica

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Oslo
“Mediocre food, poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

I give them 2 stars for location and nice ambiance. The food was mediocre. I got some tough lamb kebab, but the service was terrible. We had to ask several times before we could order and we were seated just by the bar.
We should have looked in Tripadvisor before we went there. Stay clear.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Arne_Ryppen
Mellieha, Malta
“My first Hobz biz zejt”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

My boyfriend comes from Malta, and he kept raving about this "hobz biz zejt" for ages! I couldnt understand what all the fuss was about, until i came here! We decided to only have a bottle of wine(which i might add, they have a great selection of) and a starter as we were not hungry, and we ordered the hobz biz zejt. All i can say is: amazing!!!! True taste of malta! The waitron was friendly, and the atmosphere and location was great! I will definately come back here as soon as possible!! The only negative will probably be the toilets hidden so far away!

• Visited January 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Worst dining experience ever, I walked out!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

My girlfriend and I were staying a short walk from St Julian's Bay. We decided to check out the restaurants in the area as it had a nice views and a vibrant atmosphere. We walked all around the Bay and decided on Rafael's, what a mistake!

Although the place seemed fairly busy, we were seated immediately on a outside table next to the wall of the building. There were only 2 of us so we didn't mind. We were provided with menus fairly promptly and ordered soon after. My girlfriend opted for the fried calamari whereas I ordered chicken kebab. We were both pretty hungry so we were looking forward to having some nice food in a romantic setting. After 45 minutes of waiting for our food and seeing customers who came and sat well after us a few eyebrows were raised. I called our waitress over which was extremely difficult as she would not entertain any eye contact, it was like she was trying to avoid us as she knew what was coming. I queried how long our food would be, she said she would check and let us know.

After five minutes of waiting and seeing the same waitress serve more customers, clear some tables etc I called her over again. I couldn't believe that she didn't come back and give us an update on the status. She came over, I again queried what the heck was going on. She explained that the food was just getting made now and that there was some issue in the kitchen. What a load of balls and the fact I had to call her over to explain this again just infuriated me. I explained that the service was not good enough and that other customers sat right night to us who sat down at least 30 minutes after us were eating very similar dishes to what we had ordered.

She then gave us 2 options, cancel the food or simply wait. I explained to her that I would have thought she would have offered us some more drinks for the inconvience. Neither of us drink so it wasn't as if we were after expensive wine etc, just soft drinks. She reluctantly agreed but the attitude was horrendous. Another 15 minutes passed and still, there was no food. I then went on the hunt for the manager. Apparently he was not available so I spoke with the most senior staff member who was unable to explain why customers around us who sat well after us got server extremely quick and we didn't. I explained to him that the service and customer service was extremely poor and that I wouldn't expect to pay the full bill. He explained to me that he would be unable to offer any discount as the computer system would not allow him. At this point, I was just fed up so i explained to him that he should do whatever he thought was right.

This place is not cheap either, its in a nice location in the bay and you obviously pay a premium for the however you expect the food to also be nice. Our food arrived and I have to say, it looked horrible. My girlfriends plate was basically a plate full of chips with about 4 calamari rings and for 16 euros I thought that was crazy. My food was similar, stacked high with chips and very little chicken.

Although we were starving, we just both wanted to get out of there so I explained to the staff member that we just wanted to leave and they accepted this.

Overall, service is terrible, customer service is terrible and although I didn't taste it the food looked terrible and is way over priced.

• Visited May 2013
Island of Malta, Malta
“Staff issues last year when we went”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

The food was average, menu was a bit different, I remember a carbonara pizza of sorts, not much to say on the quality of the food. Maybe it was because we were focussed on the staff who seemed to be upset with management. We saw a bit of arguing which if i recall was due to working hours and so we became engrossed in watching it so it provided us with entertainment for the night. Not very professional. Perfect location, with good view but we have never been back.

Visited November 2012