“Amazing place friendly staff”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed September 22, 2011

We stayed here for a week on a late deal and couldn't have been more delighted with our choice. The hotel staff from start to finish were always helpful and friendly and always smiled. The room was clean and more than spacious facilities were in the room were a little lacking no tea coffee etc. Pools were lovely and rooftop terrace is a winner overall excellent holiday and an excellent hotel!!

• Stayed: September 2011
There are newer reviews for The George Hotel

Reviewed September 17, 2011

I stayed one of the top expensive hotel in the Island but I was not happy with the service and staff was not at all helpful except the old man sitting alone in the lobby , I won’t mention the hotel name because I don’t want put off few people . Later then I moved to The George hotel as I came in I was surprise with the beautiful lobby and was approached by friendly and help full staff (Clint ) who was great and made me feel very special that what we come to hotel to feel special right otherwise stay home and then he explained me in detail about hotel facility and help me to my room and when I was in the room it was amazing and beautiful with lovely music playing I kept it on until I was in the room and great spa and swimming pool everything about the hotel is 100% amazing I must say very relaxing and especially the staff very friendly and help full until I left the exit door staff did there every best to make me feel comfy and help me in any kind of issue very professionally . Excellently satisfied and looking forward to come back always to The George always hope price remains the same.

Room Tip: 301 is the room i stayed i was happy about but try the expensive one aswell
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We have just returned from a fortnight at the George and I would highly recommend the hotel to anyone visiting Malta. As others have commented the pool rooftop facilities are wonderful and there is a lovely shaded aread for those wishing to take a break from the sun. While the pool area is often busy it is usually possible to get a lounger and the bar facilities at the pool are very handy.

The hotel is one of the nicest that I have stayed in, particularly abroad. We booked a penthouse suite with the most comfortable king size bed, with a brilliant padded topper - really does make such a difference to have a nice comfortable bed. The lounge area in the room was a good size and there was a nice terrace on which to sit out. The hotel also supplies lovely Molton Brown bathroom accessories which were a real treat.

The lobby in the hotel is spacious with very comfortale seats and good air conditioning. I found all of the staff very pleasant, nothing was too much trouble. We didn't make use of the car parking or the spa facilities - we took a look at these and these seem to be good with an indoor pool, sauna and jacuzzi.

While the hotel is close to Paceville and the night life the hotel itself is on a quiet street and we were never disturbed by noise. We also didn't notice any noise from the other rooms. There are lots of restaurants close by as well as bus stops for the local bus service.

We had a wonderful fortnight at the George and we will definitely return there in the future. A really comfortable relaxing break.

Room Tip: The penthouse suite has a separate living area and terrace with sun loungers. All rooms have 32 inc...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Very stylish and beautiful decor in the lobby and in the rooms. We stayed in a double room with two single bed and it was absolutely huge, with a fanfastic en suite. The breakfast buffet had a wide array of foods, from cooked breakfasts to muesli and cereals to olives and salad. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

The only downside was that the pool in the basement was a little cool, the jacuzzi was lukewarm and the steam room seemed to be out of order (I assume it was a steam room anyway!). However, the Finnish style sauna was good and the rooftop pool and bar more than made up for the lack of facilities downstairs. I definitely recommend an afternoon or day up on the roof. There aren't many beaches in St Julian's/Paceville so the few that are there tend to be very crowded. The rooftop pool was quiet and the bar serves ice cream cocktails - expensive, but definitely worth it!

Another thing to note is how close The George is to Paceville's nightlife. It is literally a five minute walk to the main clubs in the area and although we could hear some music late into the night, it was never at a volume to truly bother us, nor was the street outside full of clubbers.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Having visited Malta only a month before I was very excited to be going back for a longer break. Arriving at the hotel was our first disappointment, we stood at the reception desk with 3 members of staff behind the desk and not one of them acknowledged us. It was only when I made a point of not being served did someone offer to help us. Understandably we were checking in at 11am so our room wasn't ready, they took our luggage from us and told us to come back in an hour. When we came back after 2 hours the girl on reception again was reluctant to acknowledge us, and before checking she said check-in is not till 3pm and your room is not ready. I said we were told to come back in an hour and our room would be ready, I had to ask her to check with the cleaners if the room was prepared and it was.
Our room was very nice, we had the studio room, very good size and had everything we needed for our stay, the downside of the room was we had to pay 35euros extra if we wanted English channels on the tv and even then they did not have a great selection, others hotels in malta provided English channels with no charge. The Rooms were not soundproof so we heard everything from the rooms either side and from above, one night the people above must have decided to open and close their doors all night and kept us awake. The cleanliness of the room was ok and the bed was comfy.
The rooftop pool was a major disappointment of mine, the pool was dirty and had a mucky stain around the edges and most days all the sunbeds were taken with other people’s towels but people were nowhere to be seen until about 3/4pm. So on some days it was hit and miss if you would get a sun bed to relax on or not. I noticed a couple of people moving other peoples towels out of frustration that this was a frequent occurrence. Also having one member of staff at the Rooftop Bar meant you had to wait a long time to be served or wait for the bar staff to arrive after having to go downstairs to collect lunches people ordered.
All in all I would not recommend this hotel over the other hotel I stayed in while visiting Malta nor will I choose to go back to this hotel the next time I visit.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NCL19
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Having stayed at some of the best hotels in the far east I would recommend this hotel to anybody. The location of the hotel is key for St Juliens very easy to access all parts of the local area. The hotel is very clean we had maid services everyday with fresh clean towels. I would upgrade to stay in a room with a balcony as I missed out on watching the sun go down with a beer also had a flat screen Tv, iPod dock & was very modern. I hired a car for two days explored the island and took the ferry to Gozo which was worth the money the best beach's are Golden Bay & Ramla Bay(Gozo) the only problem was parking in the underground hotel parking it was €12.75 for the first night due to the reception missinforming that we had to book the parking via them first for the second night it was €8. The pool area was great to relax and chill out when we did not have the car to visit the island. There was a problem with the safe in our room, reception did try to sort it however it was not rectified by the time we were leaving. If you are flying home late and need a late checkout book an extra night to save money as the hotel charge €10 per hour you require the room. Overall I would say this hotel is well worth it's money and you will enjoy your stat in Malta as there is plenty to do.

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank S2efn
Reviewed August 28, 2011

We have our last night tonight at the George. We were arriving quite late so requested a transfer and were told a taxi would be waiting for us. It didn't show... But we arranged our own taxi through the airport's taxistand which wasn't a problem. It was 20 euros to the hotel. The hotel is right in the action of Paceville. There are restaurants and bars all around and it is a couple of blocks to the marina area

Check in was quick and easy- we were given a map and some info on tours and were told that we could get more info in the morning if we wanted.

We booked a penthouse room which was great. As you walk in the door, there is a desk and luggage area and then a couch, chair and flat screen tv. The minibar is in this area too. It is quite small, but did fit 2 bottles of wine a a couple of beers.

There are glass doors across this room and the bedroom that leads out to a terrace area. The terrace area is quite large- it spans the width of the loung room and bedroom, and there are 2 sun beds and a small table. There is plenty of room around these- you could fit a jacuzzi tub (which would have meant I would not have left the room at all!)

The bedroom has ocean views from the bed, which is large and comfortable. All of the furnishing match beautifully and it is s really nice space.

The bathroom is also large, with a separate tub and shower cubicle. Everything is very clean and very comfortable.

The outdoor pool area is pretty cool, with soft chill out music playing in the background. There are views to the ocean from to pool and bar area. There are sunbeds in addition to some lounge chairs and smal clusters of tables and chairs. The bar has a wide range of drinks and you can also order food which we didn't have but looked apealing. The indoor pool and jacuzzi area was also nice but was very hot.

Noise: it is festival time in St julians this weekend. Last night we heard nothing at all even though there were people EVERYWHERE! Having said that, the night before I was woken up in the early hours by someone running and jumping into the pool (even though it closes at 8pm) The pool is directly above the room we were in 505, so you can hear stompy or running feet very occasionally. It may be better to request 501 or 502 as this part is under the bar area.

If I come back to Malta, I would definitely look at staying here again