“A must in Malta”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We had researched 1927 and had chosen it as a good place to celebrate Christmas Eve whilst we were on our 10 day trip to Malta and Gozo and our hotel had booked a table for us months in advance. What a disappointment for us when we had to cancel at the last minute at 5pm on Christmas Eve due to an unfortunate incident. I went to inform the owner and saw that it was only a relatively small restaurant. I felt a little guilty for letting him down at such short notice. He kindly offered me a glass of his favourite wine on the house whilst we discussed the problem. I left feeling better thanks to his kind understanding of the problem and his typical Maltese hospitality.
Luckily we stayed an extra night in Malta and we were able to go back and enjoy a fabulous meal at 1927. They were very busy because a local taxi firm with 12 of their employees were having their Christmas party, This speaks volumes for their reputation, the quality of their food and its value for money.
The restaurant is run by a local family who serve up good, wholesome, local rustic food which we loved. We had the antipasti to share as a starter which was different to the run of the mill antipasti with more local and unusual produce. For main course we had veal chops and rabbit stew. Both were excellent but the portions are huge so be aware.
Everyone was very friendly and accommodating and when we go back to Malta, 1927 will definitely be on the top of our list for a return visit.

1  Thank andy b

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Having lived here for years for the quality of food and the price this is up there with the best places to eat on the island. Great prices and even the wine isn't overpriced. The food can take a while to come but that is because unlike other places that pre cooks the food before service everything here is cooked from fresh. The only downside is that the restaurant is quite small so often fully booked especially in the Summer. Great place tho and I would highly recommend it

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed in Malta from the the 20th to 30th of December and went to this restaurant on the 21st, deciding to treat myself in celebration of the world not ending, and I am very glad it didn't and I did.

Even though it was a quiet time of the evening, the ambience of the place was just as welcoming as that heartily offered by the owner. While I was deciding what to have I was given free entre of something and chickpea brochetta which was very moreish.

For starter I had the Chef's choice antipasto which contained approximately 8 different types of meat including (I think) rabbit, chicken, beef, sausage, sea bream, calf liver and others I couldn't identify but ate all the same. This is a cold dish and tasted fantastic - a perfect starter and presented really nicely.

For main I had a quail dish accompanied with thyme roasted potatoes and side salad. It was actually 3 whole quails that had been butterflied and were lay on a red winey / fruity sauce and was gorgeous. Don't worry about trying to use cutlery to eat the little blighters - I ended up giving up and using my fingers and was pleased to see the waiter was attentive enough to bring me a packet of wetwipes within seconds. Having never had quail before I was very pleased to have had it here as it was absolutely delicious.

The bill for starter and main, the sides and two beers (Cisk) was 26.20 euros which I thought was very reasonable. The bill also came with a small lemon flavoured liquor which was a nice touch although wasn't to my taste.

Overall, I would recommend this restaurant to anybody looking for a nice meal in pleasant surroundings. The food was first rate, the prices very good and the staff excellent.

2  Thank Perch_Original
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The food was OK but nothing special but we had to wait a long time for it and no apologies.
Best to try somewhere else.

1  Thank PaulinVence
Reviewed November 4, 2012

After reading previous good reviews we ate here last Tuesday evening. Maybe we were unlucky and also they had posted a sign saying that they would be closed until Saturday but we did not have a good experience. Staff seemed disinterested and my rabbit was tough. My husband said his spaghetti bolognese was ok but we didn't feel that we wanted to stay any longer for dessert or coffee.