Tripadvisor
Saint Julian's
Post
Inbox
Search

“TERRIBLE, WONT BE BACK!!”
Review of Rasoi

Rasoi
Ranked #100 of 405 Restaurants in Saint Julian's
Description: Rasoi Authentic Indian restaurant offers a complete open kitchen, a food bar,and authentic Indian food by Indian award winning chefs. Rasoi,from the same owners of Malta's top Indian restaurant Sa Re Ga Ma.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Came here tonight after seeing the rave reviews. Gotta say we definitely wont be back.

The waiter was rude as anything.

Brought me out a lemonade when I asked for coke. The kinnie that he brought out for my partner was flat as anything.

Asked if they could do a chicken tikka masala and told yes. (definitely wasnt chicken tikka masala) turns out it was chicken tikka makhni which is nothing like a masala.

Asked for popadoms with raita and the cucumber, onion and tomato salad to come out together. He brought them all out individually. When I questioned him on it he was very rude and said the rest would come out with the mains.

Finally the dishes came out. Literally put our finger in both the curries and neither were hot just warm. By this time we were both fed up with the rude unprofessional service and just ate what they had served us.

He came to remove the plates and didnt say a word. 15 minutes went by and after him still avoiding us we went to get the bill. Even not saying a word handing us the bill or when we exited the restaurant.

Rude as heck, avoid the place if I were you. Youd get better service in a dog kennel.

One of the worst Indians we've had.

Date of visit: January 2020
1  Thank Curious732916
Renald B, Owner at Rasoi, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thanks for visiting Rasoi Authentic Indian Kitchen. The true facts about your visit:

I was personally present at the restaurant and at no time was the waiter rude to you. Yes he did get you the wrong drink, lemonade instead of coke, which he immediately offered to change, but at no time he was rude to you or to your partner. If you had complained that he wasn't very communicative I would have agreed with you. But not being very communicative does not mean that he is rude!! Main reason of being less communicative than he usually is, is because the restaurant got very busy and full as the majority of tables came at the same time, which we happily served.

Regarding Chicken Tikka Masala & Makhni - It seems that you do not know much about Authentic Indian food. The primary difference is that one is Indian and the other is British. Please find attached link so you can know more about these 2 dishes which are merely the same:

Raita & the salad - these are listed on our menu as accompaniments to the main courses. We always serve them that way. If you want them with your starters you need to ask the waiter and tell him to get them before the main courses, and we would have done so. With the poppadum’s we serve our homemade chutneys.

'Youd get better service in a dog kennel' - this is what I call a rude comment!!!
But I can't comment or contradict you on this, as I have never eaten from a dog kennel.

Thanks

Write a reviewReviews (108)

Reviewed December 26, 2019 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch at Rasoi - warm and friendly service, an open kitchen concept, and well prepared dishes as you order them. Very reasonably priced too.

Renald B, Owner at Rasoi, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2020

Thanks for your 5 star rating and your lovely comments. Much appreciated.

Reviewed December 21, 2019 via mobile

Rasoii formerly known as saregama..

I was in St Julian's and wanted to have some indian lunch that's when I landed up here. The first thing I liked was the ambiance of the restaurant. Small nice and cozy.
It's an open kitchen where you can see your dish being made. Hygenic wise it get full marks.
The chief lalith is creative and has a good experience in making mouth watering dishes. On his advice I choose kadai paneer and dal tarka. It was delicious.

I would recommend you to go this restaurant.

Food wise very good
Ambiance wise very good
Price wise it's cheap and value for money
Service wise very good

PS: you get 25% additional discount if you take away your food.

Renald B, Owner at Rasoi, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2020

Glad you enjoyed our authentic Indian food and the ambience including our open kitchen, where one can see the chefs cooking all the food ordered. Your comments are much appreciated and keep us focused to continue working hard and always improving. Looking forward to serve you again at Rasoi or prepare your pick up order on which the 25%OFF offer applies!!

Reviewed December 12, 2019 via mobile

If you fancy fast service, tasty food and great customer service then this is the place to avoid.
For our last night in Malta, we decided to go for an Indian meal.
The first place we tried was full and after a quick look on Trip Advisor we found Rasoi. Rasoi had amazing reviews and it clear this had to be the one.
After we arrived at a hotel, we found the restaurant was actually situated inside and looked a unique little set up and well positioned. There were what seemed delivery drivers standing around and none of them acknowledging our party or presence.
We waited patiently and eventually greeted by a man who seated us at our table. After a good 15 to 20 minute wait it was clear the waiter was on his own. He eventually joined our table and asked for our orders. We placed our order of drinks, starters, mains and sides all of which, the waiter noted without the use of a pen and paper. What a great memory and neat party trick. This was great but we then waited the next 20 minutes for half of our drinks to arrive and shortly after followed by our starters. We asked about the rest of our drinks and he went off to fetch them.
The starters were bland and boring.
It was disappointing that the poppadoms were half poppadoms and not full size considering the price.
Living in hope, we awaited our mains to arrive. When they did the curries were correct but the naans weren't. The way the meals arrived were disjointed.
We had to wait alot of "2 minutes" to get the whole of our food and it was clear the rice was nuked in a microwave. My curry was OK but nothing to shout about and the feeling was mutual amongst the table.
One of our party was unhappy with the burnt taste to her curry and called over the waiter. Having tried it myself I knew it wasn't right and the waiter agreed.
The open plan kitchen was a lovely feature to watch the cooks make your meal. What it isn't great for, is displaying the outburst of the chef when he isn't happy you've complained. It was very uneasy to watch and unsettling for guests.
That being said the food was recooked and fresh naan and rice brought out with it, which was a nice touch.
All in all a very disappointing meal considering its prices.
I would recommend the place employees 1 more waiter for peak times and notepad and pen to take orders.

Renald B, Owner at Rasoi, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2019

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. We will continue to work hard so our customers will always experience a positive experience when visiting Rasoi, as it always has been happening and is still happening. Can't agree with all your negative comments, but I must admit that all was not up to our usual high standards with your order. The issue has been tackled within. Hoepfully you'll visit us again on your next visit to Malta, so you can experience the real Rasoi! Would have appreciated more if you had left only 1 bad comment on board rather than 2seperate bad comments for the same table.Thanks.

Reviewed December 12, 2019 via mobile

We visited this restaurant on our final day of the holiday. The reviews were great and we couldn't wait to finish the holiday on a high.

Unfortunately upon arrival we were kept waiting for a while even though staff members were available. After ordering drinks and food we waited a very long time for them to arrive, the starters arrived before my partner's beer. The starters were okay but the poppadoms are not whole they are served as half and this is one portion.

The mains arrived and our friend had to send hers back as it didn't taste right, the waiter also tried it and agreed. When he returned the food the chef got very argumentative and started shouting. When they bought her main back out the chef come over to check everything was okay, unfortunately it was no better. We left 75% of the food and have never begrudged paying a bill so much in our lives. The service and food was very poor and I would not recommend anyone to visit this place. Such a shame as it put a dampener on our last meal.

2  Thank JEH89