“Basic hotel for a good price”
Review of Tropicana Hotel

Tropicana Hotel
Ranked #26 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed October 6, 2013

For the price of the hotel you don't expect much but the price is more than ok for this hotel. You get a basic room and bathroom in a fair size and the room is clean and new towels each day. The room had a small balcony situated to the plaza and that caused some noice during the night because bar is open 24/24. However the windows block a lot of the noice. Airco is free but no WIFI available (fair for the price).

Room Tip: Try to take a room further away from the main part of the plaza
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 28, 2013

If you are planning on visiting Malta and staying at this hotel, please refrain from doing so immediately! We were shocked by the fact that a few friends who came to visit us at the hotel had to pay almost 17 euro JUST to climb a flight of stairs and stay for a couple of hours! They were not even staying at the hotel!
Moreover, the employees did not offer good service in terms of manners and respect!
Furthermore, the twin rooms were not clean and the bathrooms were too small!
Despite this being a 2 star room, I still expected better, given in the past I have stayed at better B&B's.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Malta126
Reviewed September 22, 2013

If you are going in Malta for Malta and you don't care about the hotel, then you should pick this one! It is a really cheap hotel (32 euros per night, room for 2 with breakfast) and the best location you want to be in Malta - St Julian. Also, the restaurant that is part of it is one of the best rated restaurants in Malta.

The price means that you shouldn't expect much of it - no hairdryer, no shampoo and soaps. Shower was not working properly. Stuff is not much of a friendly type, but I think that is a general rule for the people of Malta.

Beside that, the hotel is really clean - they clean your room every day and they give fresh towels every day. The breakfast is really good. You have a big fridge in your room.

I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gorgi R
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Whenever anything goes wrong, like what we had for example
Air condition was not working at start.
shower Drain was somewhat blocked and always flooding .
Flushing did not work properly.
Room is very tiny
a questionable mattress
Bug bites on the bed sheets.
Use this motto.... '' Oh well.. Its Tropicana Hotel ''

However with this said and done it is relatively clean.
The receptionist was Kinda OK ,
The price is very cheep and location is good.

Room Tip: Make sure that the room is one with a balcony..
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PatrickSandy
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I think this is the worst you could expect of a hotel in Malta. Yes, it’s cheap, but there are many other cheap hotels in Malta. The staff is not friendly at all, the rooms are very small and the floor of the bathroom gets soaking wet every time you take a shower. When I got back to the hotel on my last afternoon there, the lady on the reception was extremely rude to me when she told me that they had to take all my stuff out of my room because I didn’t do the check out. My departure wouldn’t be until the next day and they mixed it up and took all my things out of the room!!! When she finally confirmed that they were wrong, she tried to be nice, but by that time I was so pissed I just wanted to get out of that place. They gave me another room (even smaller, by the way) and barely even apologized, kept acting like it was ok. It was not ok! They took all my stuff away, I’m sure I could sue them for that. Anyways, I would never recommend this hotel, I’m sure you can find another one. Don’t take the risk of ruining your trip to Malta, because of an awful hotel. Malta is amazing!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 5, 2013

It is the second year that I stay at this hotel. Great especially for the very affordable price (including breakfast) and evening for the nightlife. :-) The room was clean, but smelled of smoke and was on the first floor overlooking motors conditioners. However recommend this hotel and will definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with a friend for 5 nights in early june, and paid only 66 euros each for twin room with a balcony and breakfast each morning. With this low price in mind, I was not expecting anything great from the hotel, indeed there were notable flaws in our room - the shower head was almost coming off of the wall, the shower would constantly switch from hot to cold, the toilet flush was extremely hard to flush and the bathroom was easily flooded, but that was only the bathroom, and considering the price I didn't really care.

The bathroom was extremely well cleaned and even though there were initial issues, they didn't affect me too greatly. The room itself was a good size - airy and with good natural light from the balcony doors and window. We had two beds, a large wardrobe, a television, fridge and dressing table with a good sized mirror. The fridge was a nice touch, but sometimes turned off in the middle of the night (but we only kept water and juice in here so we didn't care).

The tv and air con were accesible only if you rented the remotes for ten euros - something we only realised after our first night (it was very hot in our room) but after we got these remotes, there were loads of tv channels and the air con was really worth it. The beds weren't that comfy - but they were not bad either. I got what I expected for the price. Our balcony was large and pleasant, the wind-able sun shade was another good touch. However the view was not that nice - we overlooked a 24 hour restaurant that is part of the hotel which was extremely noisy, then a lot of high rise blocks and there was also building work going on directly opposite, however I am aware this was out of the hotels control so did not really mind, and the noise wasn't too bad when you closed the balcony door :) The room / bathroom were really clean and there was a maid service that would offer to clean your room everyday, including giving out fresh towels and bath mats and toilet roll. We spent alot of time in our room in the day so only had our room cleaned twice, but we kept it tidy so didn't feel it necessary to clean it everyday but this was a nice touch! Maids extremely friendly and helpful also.

The staff of the hotel were all very nice, the reception included, and were really helpful when asked a question or query. They let us check in early and made everything really clear when we arrived, something which I was extremely grateful for. Everyone spoke good english at the hotel, which was helpful also. Breakfast was not amazing, but I didn't expect anything better, it was standard toast, cold meats and cheese, with mini croissants if you woke early enough! We only had breakfast at the hotel twice, both times were fine :) most of the time we went to the Alex House revolution lounge bar, which served a delicious home cooked chocolate croissant and coffee for 2.20 euros! the girl who worked there was lovely as well, I would strongly recommend going there if you over sleep or want to have breakfast outside of the hotel as it is just down the road!

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, the staff and services were great and the hotels location is SUPERB if you do what we did and went to go clubbing (all the clubs are literally a 2 minute walk away!) the restaurant Estilo connected to the hotel was expensive and not very good, but there are plenty of cheap eats around Paceville which will satisfy your hunger if you choose not to dine there! Thank you tropicana for allowing my friend and I to have a lovely holiday and thanks for not judging us when we wandered downstairs for breakfast looking VERY hung over haha.

Great hotel for a group of young friends on a budget looking for fun but also a place where they can relax away from the party atmosphere !

Room Tip: We stayed in a room on the 6th floor with a view of the Estilo restaurant (which was extremely noisy...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends