“Great value for money”

Ranked #25 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great value for money”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed there for a week and were quite please. On the top of being right in Bale street, the room was cleaned everyday, new towels given, we had tv and a fridge in the room. The breakfast was ok and the kids spent a lot of time in the attraction park they have next door. They also kept our luggage for us the last day. All this for less than 14 euros a head per day. Bargain.

Room Tip: Dont take a room thats give on the street!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The receptionist was very very helpful and friendly.I arrived at the hotel early before check-in. The receptionist was so kindly to place my luggage in a special room and did everything possible to respond to my requests. I stayed there just for one night and had a transfer to the airport in the very early morning at 5 a.m. Breakfast at the hotel starts at 7 am. However, to my request she provided breakfast special for me at 4.30 am. I am very grateful to her. She does her job like a staff at a good five stars hotel.
Excellent facilities and a room for that price. Very good value for money.
Air conditioning worked well. There were hot and cold water.
My single room was set in the internal part of the hotel and had no view, so night noise from the street can't be heard. Of course, the room is very small, the window is small. But it still very worthy for the price.
The location is very convenient, close to the main bus station of St Julians, you can easily travel to any part of Malta and Gozo. There are a supermarket and big shopping mall, a town sandy beach, though it is overloaded and water isn't clear.
The hotel is located in the central area of ​​nightlife in Malta. At day here quite nice and a lot of good restaurants bars and souvenir shops are opened.

I didn't like the taps on the sink. They was made by the old English tradition. On one side is the tap of the hot water and the tap of cold water is on other side. If you stay in the hotel more than 1 night, it can get annoying.
Choosing a hotel, you should know that it is located very close to the center of nightlife area. But the building and the entrance to the hotel is located on a street, that fairly quiet for this area.
I can recommend this hotel for single travelers who wants to save their money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Elena E
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed here for 6 nights and each receptionist was completely rude, ignorant and not helpful..couldn't even get an answer when asking where supermarket was. You could be waiting at desk ten mins before they give you any attention..I witnessed them treat other guests like this also.
On returning to our room one day we found that my friends carry-on suitcase had been completely rummaged through! The bedroom door was often opened by staff at random times which made us feel uncomfortable and not at all safe.

On the other hand it's the best location..centre of the night life and only a 5min walk to the beach.
Charlie, the night receptionist is a credit to the place..he helped us out with all our queries and questions..unlike the girls during the day.
The restaurant downstairs is very very nice and stays open 24/7 as well as the bat which is great

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Avril M
Vilnius, Lithuania
Reviewed September 19, 2012

First of all I knew what I was getting for. I've read a lot of bad reviews about this Tropicana. "Cheap, but better not stay", For a one night stand", "you get what you paid for" etc.

Well, I could agree on this. 30eur was ok for two people, however it's not even worth that much. Not for a one night stand, like some say, unless you are high and with a AIDS infected prostitute.

We got "a double room with a beautiful view". It was a four single bed room with a view to the construction, old ruins of a house and couple bars outside.

It was dirty inside. It seems no one has ever cleaned it since the last decade, humid - the AC is old and dusty, not working, never been turned on since last decade as well. Noisy - parties outside everywhere through all night, old as a an old rag - holes in the floor, dirty old corners. A depressing little dumphole.

And I bet Guantanamo prison guests have better beds. It has staff that is interested in the screens of their PCs, rather than guests. It works as a pizza delivery station as well so it's busy and noisy - them guests should be thankful they are served at all.

So it's like form the 80ies hotel in war torn cheep hotel Beirut. Or in modern terms speaking - a hotel in besieged Aleppo. If anything, it should be closed, demolished and forgotten.

Room Tip: Turn 180 degrees around and seek other place
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank medzioklis

Travelers are raving about these Saint Julian's hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Day One:
We arrived at the 'hotel' mid afternoon to be 'greeted' by what can only be described as a rude and arrogant teenager behind the desk. All of the staff at reception seemed inexperienced and were on a few occasions, downright rude to us.
On arrival, we were told to sit near the desk...45 minutes later we were still sat, none the wiser as to what was going on, despite asking on numerous occasions.
After travelling it's always nice to have a shower and relax in the 'room' for a while. This wasn't a room- it was a cell, based loosely on a 1980's Chicago office block. Polystyrene tiling (rotten), no windows, air conditioning which was only acceptable if you had a megaphone (you literally couldn't hear yourself think it was that loud), a strange odour....and the bathroom- I don't want to shock anyone, but there was what we think was faeces in the toilet that wouldn't be flushed (it wasn't ours), the shower door fell off when you opened it and on one side of the bathroom there wasn't a roof. The shower head really was something else though... it was covered in what can only be described as moss.

Day Two:
There are no safes in the room so we were advised by reception staff to leave keys and any valuable belongings with them. They lost our key on the first night. Let's just say we didn't give them anything to look after after that.
The morning after our first night we asked for an upgrade (see Day One). We got an upgrade and payed 15 euros, which we thought was pretty decent. The second room was an improvement, but still the air conditioning was loud, toilet flush didn't work and no hot water.

Day Three:
So we've upgraded which means we need to get a new set of remotes for the air con and TV. A simple swap happened at reception where we gave the old remotes back and were given new ones. This all took some time because the reception staff have a habit of asking what you want (literally 'what do you want?!'), getting distracted and making you wait. To cut a long story short, later in the day we were asked to pay another ten euro deposit for the remotes. We had already payed this deposit when we arrived and had not been given it back when we got the new remotes- the staff had no record of this and did not believe us when we said we had paid. This was totally unacceptable and to be honest quite upsetting, I was called a liar and was told I had no common sense (all from an approx. 18 year old member of reception staff).

Day Four:
Reception staff approached us on our way out asking for our copy of the receipt for our stay at the hotel. We did not have the copy on us as we were just on our way out. When we asked if we could have a look for it and give it them later in the day we were accused of losing the receipt. The receptionists became very agitated and began speaking/ shouting in Maltese what seemed to be some kind of profanities. We did suggest they just use the original copy they have- we didn't really know what was going on or why they needed a receipt. At this point they admitted they had lost their copy of the receipt and suggested we had 'no common sense' (a particular favourite insult of theirs) not knowing where our receipt was (we did). Later that evening we gave them our copy of the receipt, we were given no thanks or apology at this point.

Day Five:
Whilst having a siesta at approx. 12:30pm, a woman with a clipboard and master key came bursting into the room (the lady did not knock or introduce herself). Being half-asleep we were disorientated and confused, I said 'Hello', she responded with 'I'm coming to switch off the balcony'. I mean, what on earth does that mean? The woman then left the room- just to clarify, she didn't go near the balcony or even switch it off for that matter- just looked out of the window, at us, and left.
Later that evening whilst getting ready, we heard a faint knock at the door. Two men came into the room, again with clipboards. I was enjoying a cigarette on the balcony when one of them asked me to 'stand up, I need your chair'. They took the chair into the bathroom, put the chair into the shower, did nothing, returned the chair, and left. SO STRANGE!

(Eventually, we were given our ten euro deposit back!!!!!)

Despite this being a cheap hotel, I would not recommend it to anyone. The locals refer to it as a motel for a one night stand.

(The hotel's saving grace is the attached restaurant/ bar area. The staff, food and prices are excellent!!!!)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed August 8, 2012

The prices is very cheap for a single apartment. And the location is great. Those are the only good things about this place. There is no free internet, the room wasn't very clean, the bathroom was old and full of ants. Some of my t-shirts were full of holes in the morning, apparently it was a snack for some kind of night creature. The front desk staff are not very helpful, it is like they think they are doing you a favor to let you stay at the hotel. If you have a low standart and want to pay as little as possible, this is a good place for you.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Rafael F
Hong Kong
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Arrived Malta at late night around 2am, I was planning to book a hostel for saving money because just a few hours stay and would be moving out in the following day. Found this hotel for costing only €15 for a single room with bathroom and breakfast! So I had no hesitate to book it! Actually it's not really bad, the room is very very basic with a tv and air-con (but cannot switch on!)!! The window cannot open as well! luckily it wasnt very hot that night, but I couldn't sleep very well since the bed wasn't comfortable at all and quite dirty.......
Anyway, I got up very early in the next day coz I just wanna leave there ASAP.
P.s. the breakfast is okay...very simple

• Stayed May 2012