“Top Notch!”

Ranked #25 of 341 Restaurants in Saint Julian's
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Situated in an old town house in St Julian’s, Peperoncino has a friendly and welcoming atmosphere.Inside is decorated in a traditional manner with limestone walls and elegant décor, while the outside terrace area offers fantastic views over Balluta Bay.The food is a blend of Maltese, Sicilian and Italian with other international flavours merged, so combinations are both varied and interesting.
Reviewed October 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to Peperoncino last night, and what an amazing experience it was! We had a table outside in a small quaint road with tables set up on the steps so you can see the beautiful bay from any table. Very romantic.

We ordered the soup of the day for myself, which was a mushroom soup, and my boyfriend had the homemade potato gnocchi with porcini mushroom and walnut sauce. My mushroom soup was absolutely divine and definitely the most delicious mushroom soup i have ever tasted. The potato gnocchi were to die for! As opposed to the packaged gnocchi that you find in most restaurants, these were homemade, smooth and no other words can describe them. For our mains we both had the fresh fish which was red snapper, served with potatoes and vegetables. The fish literally melted in your mouth, it was cooked perfectly. For dessert, we also both had the fig and orange tart with homemade coffee ice cream - delicious!

However, the service deserves a paragraph of its own. My boyfriend and I take the service very seriously in a restaurant. No matter how good the food is, the service will make or break it for us. So i cannot end this review without saying what absolutely amazing and professional service we had. All the staff were so friendly and professional, but hats off to our head waiter, Bernard. Brilliant!

Would absolutely recommend Peperoncino to anyone in the mood for a fantastic 5-star dining experience!

1  Thank Alana D
Write a ReviewReviews (1,216)

Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

This was our third choice of Restaurant in St.Julians as its number 3 on tripadvaisor, and we must say waterbusquit was not as impressive , service was not up to standard, Wigi's was much better but nothing to write home about, so we kept on following the list and went to Peperoncino restaurant ,this place has a perfect location , central yet tranquil , we were greeted by a young Maltese man who had all the quality you expect to see in a gourmet restaurant .Fresh fish was shown to us , Specials of the day were explained , so we opted for the pasta with sea urchins, it was exceptional, one could actually taste the sea in this pasta , flavours were balanced, pasta cooked to perfection , just perfect ,my partner had the beef carpaccio , i can only compare it to the best carpaccio i have had in Italy . Main course i choose a fish, once again spot on . Just perfectly cooked, not one minute more, not one minute less, i must say i have only been in few restaurants that can cook fish so perfect, my partner had the Rib eye from Uruguay, My God was that meat tasty and a perfect medium rare as we ordered . I must say well done to the whole team , they all definitely made our dining experience one of a kind ! We highly recommend this place , its our Number One in Malta .
They are usually very busy , so booking a table ,will be a good idea.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Good food, and a pretty good location. The fish was just perfect and a very good visit! However, they can improve a bit by fixing the lamp on the street where we dined, for it was blinking and it took some time for my eyes to adjust to the brightness/darkness so I could look at my food and pick out the fish bones. Overall a perfect restaurant,

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We went here for dinner with my fiance on our first day in Malta and we were very satisfied. The staff is excellent, very polite and nice, and helpful. I highly recommend the dish I had, which was penne with duck meat. The best pasta i've had recently.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We ate at Peperoncino three times during our fortnight's stay and found the food and service very good and consistent. I love fish and particularly liked the way they brought out a plate of the fish of the day and showed me the various fish, which was then cooked to perfection. I also had some very good asparagus as a starter one night, and swordfish ravioli another. My husband enjoyed his flank of beef and various other non-fish dishes. The pre-meal snacks were also good. My only (relatively minor) negative comment is that this is one of these restaurants where they keep coming and pouring your wine and water- this is a pet hate of ours as we prefer to deal with this ourselves. However, I would definitely eat here again and recommend.

1  Thank LDreviewer