“Amazing piece of Australian history” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Bonegilla
Wodonga, Australia
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Amazing piece of Australian history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We have visited Block 19 on a quiet Sunday afternoon on our way from Lake Hume. There was only a handful of people walking around but it was obvious that some of them were more familiar with the place than the rest of us. When I looked into the visitor book later I saw an entry from one of the older Dutch couple that read "We lived here 50 years ago." This was a very moving experience that could bring you back to the middle of last century with many places kept close to the original condition and showing the days of early organised immigration to Australia.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank icecreamguru

Newcastle, Australia
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Cultural history”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

well maintained buildings depicting the hardships of post world war 2 migrants. Many photos of significance of part of our history

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Gemlister
Brisbane, Australia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“A must for Australians...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

We visited this place not expecting a lot and in a way that is what we got as much of what was once a large migration centre has been laid to ruin. There is an information centre where the girl manning the fort got us started. She was very nice even getting us a glass of water to go with the dvd she put on for us to watch. There are several halls, a kitchen and accommodation huts left of this once massive migration centre which have been restored brilliantly. We wandered around and took our time and I don't think it cost us anything to do so but there may be guided tours available too at a cost if that is more your thing. The information that is posted up around the place is excellent although at times a little repetitve. My favourite hall was cram packed full of articles and other information which I found very pleasurable to read, I could almost feel what life would have been like for these people living here back in the day.

I found the whole experience very eye opening and sadly had never heard about the place until I went searching for things to do around Albury-Woodonga. You only need a few hours there but I think it is something that everyone should check out. It certainly made me and my wife question our heritage and surprisingly both of us know little about our European heritage. Sadly even my grandparents know little about their European heritage and this is something I was compelled to ask them about after my visit. My grandma came here as a girl on a boat and was told to be Australian and all her heritage was lost, much like many of the people that came here from across the seas to live in Bonegilla. It has only been in recent years that she even found out where from Poland her mother and father were from.

Whilst the actual content at this attraction is probably only good to very good the feelings it invoked in me and the fact that it made me appreciate what being an Australian really is all about makes this an excellent attraction. Definitely put it on the list of things to do when you are next visiting or passing through.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Togmo
Beechworth, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“I FELT LIKE THE PLACE WAS ALIVE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

I visited Bonegilla only after a guest who stayed with me, told me this was his first home in Australia. I was amazed with the place, I had no idea that this museum existed. It looked so natural, I half expected to see people emerge from the buildings. A really worthwhile "experience" which raises many questions. I will be revisiting to explore it further.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Brenda F
Beechworth, Australia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great piece of history”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

Not a huge exhibit but an important part of Austrlia's recent history. I suppose I have an attachment to the place seeings though my folks passed through here when they arrived in the 50's and 60's. Still I think it is valuable for all Australians to have a look at it.