Tangalooma Island Resort
LaVida on Anzac(Redcliffe)(Great Value!)
$111
$107
$106
$73
  • Beachfront
  • Spa
Ibis Brisbane Airport(Brisbane)(Great Value!)
$89
  • Bar/Lounge
$154
  • Restaurant
Wynnum Anchor Motel(Brisbane)(Great Value!)
$96
$88
$114
$82
  • Pool
Manly Marina Cove Motel(Brisbane)(Great Value!)
$111
$108
Bribie Waterways Motel(Bribie Island)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
2,878 results
All reviewsdolphin feedingfishbeach cafefamily holidaybeautiful placequad bikesgreat funsand tobogganingsand boardinggreat familyall agesbeautiful beachfood optionsstone restaurantkookaburra lodgedesert safariferry ride
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We went to this venue to experience the dolphin feeding and marine talks and we were extremely pleased with these experiences .My husband greatly enjoyed his scuba diving tuition and diving on one of the wreck and found the staff he encountered in the water sports centre to be excellent .
The living accommodation was a little dated but clean .The site was beautifully gardened and clean and tidy .i was happy with the service we received and found staff to be friendly and efficient . The breakfast was good however I was a little disappointed by the restaurant in the evening it needed more style and choice .We would definatley visit Tangalooma again because of the dolphins and fabulous staff in the marine education centre.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tangalooma, Director of Sales at Tangalooma Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Response

Dear khill02,

We’re very please to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much, and particularly the great work done my all our staff. The dedicated staff in the Marine Education and Conservation Centre love their jobs and their passion is very evident.

I will certainly pass on your thoughts to all our managers and we would love to have you visit the resort again in the future.

Craig McLaurin
Director of Sales

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We took a family trip to Tangalooma lured by the fascination of meeting the dolphins (as hordes of other families obviously had as well). I'm a sucker for a ferry ride or visiting an island so the whole experience in of itself was enjoyable.

A Clarification:
Your brief encounter with some dolphins, while definitely a better and more responsible scenario than in a zoo, will not be the intimate experience you may be playing out in your mind. Granted they make it quite clear on their site that you won't 'swim or touch the dolphins'. But in the end, it's an assembly line opportunity to feed a couple fish by hand to a dolphin and then move along for the next person. It also started rather late for young kids so unfortunately our 3 year old had held out as long as he could, but then fell asleep before he could appreciate it.

A Warning:
My best advice is to book a room with a kitchenette and trek in your own food. Not only would it obviously be cheaper, but 3 things occurred which raised serious food health concerns:
1. My father-in-law got food poisoning after our first meal at the resort and required medical attention.
2. We were privately warned by an emergency services staff that it was apparently well known amongst the staff that corners are continuously cut in food health regulations.
3. I was rather turned off, while strolling behind the premises, by the wall of palm oil barrels behind the kitchens — worst sort of cheap fat to be cooking everything in.

It's possibly improved since, but my overall sense was that the whole place was operating in maintenance mode and hadn't been updated significantly since the 80's. Your mileage may vary.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Jason S
Tangalooma, Manager at Tangalooma Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Jason S

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Sorry dolphin feeding did not live up to your expectations. Dolphin feeding is usually the highlight of our guests stay and most are in awe of the experience.

We can assure you food health safety is a priority at the resort and we take pride in our level of transporting, storage, handling and serving food.

We would also like to ensure you will also use vegetable oil, never palm oil.

We do hope to welcome you and your family back to in the not too distant future.

Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

When you go back ,you are happy and you think Mc Donald ,nice restaurant.
Rooms noisy ,noise till 2am and wake up at 5.30am.you can hear everything.cleaning people ask you to live the room at 10am straight away!there are so many other things to tell ,you feel like an animal.nobody tell you hi or good morning!!! hopefully for the resort the dolphins are so lazy and waiting in line at 7.30 to be feeded .1000 people are authorized to give one small fish to a dolphin.this resort have found solution to feel his resort by modified the way of life of dolphins!!!incredible for an Australian owner.no laws for smokers.every table outside is for smokers..go for smoking,no worries !!!

• Stayed: February 2013
8  Thank dmyriam

Dear dmyriam

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

We take pride in our customer service and always strive for our staff to excel in custom relations and it’s disappointing that you experience unsatisfactory service during your stay. We have a segment to our staff orientation “Your on Show” and “train the trainer”, which we believe will enforce the importance of customer service.

Our dolphin feeding program operates to strict guidelines which allow us to ensure the dolphin’s welfare is the paramount consideration, while allowing as many guests as permitted to enjoy this unique experience. We do have strict measures in place to operate this program in accordance with our permits conditions. Due to our guidelines and the professional way in which it is operated, the Tangalooma dolphin program is recognised by many in the scientific community as having the highest standards anywhere in the world for a program of this nature. Sorry you were disappointed with the Dolphin feeding, we do receive so much feedback from guests on how wonderful the experience is.

All smoking areas are signed and are in line with smoking laws and regulations.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed at Tangalooma Resort on 15th - 17th February 2013 for a friends wedding. We booked into a Resort Unit. After reading many of the reviews on tripadvisor (I do this with EVERY hotel I stay at) I must admit I was very concerned about what I would be confronted with when arriving.

To my pleasant suprise the boat ride over was painless (a little longer than normal due to the rain and wind). Check in was quick and efficient and earlier than the 12.30pm check in time on my booking.

The Unit itself was clean, well planned and generally pretty modern. I found it to be perfect for a quick stay, and the kitchenette meant that we were able to take our own breakfast, lunch and snack provisions.

I found most of the staff very poliet, happy and helpful.

The food at the numerous dining options was reasonable. I had a burger at the cafe one day (my husband had the Tangalooma works burger and chips $19 and I had the Kids meal Cheeseburger and chips $15) If you are happy with not having salad on your burger then the Kids burger is just a big as the Tanga works burger and was quite tasty.

We also ate one lunch at the Tursiops Buffet, this was ok too. Fresh salads, hot options breadrolls $23. The only let down is that there isn't any desserts included in this buffet.

The wedding as buffet Style at the Rotunda Restaurant and was very very nice. Once again, lots of salads, meats, breadrolls, vegetables. Mini Pavlovas for dessert and fresh fruit.

Cans of Rum and coke were $8, and Coronas $9.50. Pretty much on par with most pubs in the city.

All in all I found Tangalooma Resort to be quite a nice place to relax with my husband. It is a 3.5 star resort mostly, some of the buildings really are looking a little shabby but honestly that really shouldn't affect your holiday or your mood.

Value for money, probably a little expensive but hey your on an island - What are you going to do?

Go with realistic expectations and remember, a shabby building or two shouldn't determine whether you have a good holiday or not. It POURED rain the weekend we were there and I still had a nice relaxing time.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank AlieshaK

Dear AlieshaK

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

We are so glad you and your family enjoyed Tangalooma, surrounds, service, accommodation, food and beverage and the activities.

If you have not done so already, please be sure to join our tangaclub and/or like us on facebook so you can stay up to date with news, specials and great competitions.

We do hope your friends wedding on the weekend was amazing!

Hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

My daughter, friend and I went for one night, thank god! On our tour of the resort our guide told us there was a VIP lounge for the guests and to ask for the access code if we would like to use it. After enduring the RSL type dining at over the top prices, it was shabby, cheap decor and the food was less then impressive, we checked out of our hotel room (next to the bombed out recreation area) and the weather turned nasty. As we were booked for the 2.00 pm barge home, we went to reception to ask for the access code for the VIP lounge to spend the morning in. Well, thats when we came across the receptionist from hell = Sky. We were told that we were not entitled to use the VIP lounge because 1. It's full (I explained that we had just stood in the pouring rain looking in at the empty lounge) well then 2. It's chinese new year (last time I looked I was in an Australian resort) 3. It's for people departing that day (we were) oh but no 4. Its for day trippers and a boat was due at 10.00 and they would be using the lounge.
No sorry, no niceness, no alternatives offered, no service. As is was we were able to trick our way into the lounge and spent 2 dry hours alone until about 10 other people came in. This place is a joke, no wonder it operates on an island, cause once you are there you can't escape. I would never tell anyone to come to this cheap looking overprices venue with such rude staff!

Room Tip: Choose another resort
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
11  Thank kerrir255068
Tangalooma, Manager at Tangalooma Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear kerrir255068

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Sorry the weather was unfavourable during your stay, it certainly does put a dampener on things.

With regards to the VIP room, this room is part of our Dolphin Adventure Tour day cruise package. It's also used for some groups, corporate, domestic and international. The fee to use the room is built in to the packages. So unfortunatley access to the room can not be offer to everyone.

Your comments on Skye and the customer service you received as very surprising, Skye usually receives wonderful reviews. Please know that we have passed you feedback on to the Human Resources department and the Director that oversees reception.

Again we are sorry the weather was unfavourable during you stay. Unfortunately the weather is completely beyond our control, and while we endeavour to operate as normal we do at times cancel activities if conditions make them unsafe for our guests. Many activities do still operate in wet weather, and additional activities are put on so guests can be entertained.

We do hope to welcome you and your daughter back to Tangalooma Island Resort soon, so you can enjoy the resort and activities and leave with a memorable experience.

Kind regards,