“Pure Relaxation!”

Island Brook Estate
Reviewed June 13, 2010

A big thank you to Paul and Betty for an unforgettable stay! Island Brook is a lovely relaxing place to get away without having to get away too far! It has heater/air con, a beautiful spa and you even get an electric blanket! Waking up to nothing other then the sounds of nature is priceless! Had a very very relaxing and enjoyable stay at Island Brook, thanks again Paul and Betty, Glenn and I will definelty see you again!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 25, 2010

My family took a week of holiday in Margaret River. We flew into Perth from Singapore on Quantas, which was a positive experience. We rented a car at the airport with Budget, a negative experience. We had to wait thirty minutes for a representative to man the desk at the international terminal. I called the Budget HQ for support and was disappointed again. Once the rep finally arrived, the service was poor.

“Oh, I see you ordered a GPS. I hope we have one for you.”

We drove to Margaret River after spending an evening in a Perth hotel.

At the planning stage of the holiday, my wife and I agreed that we wanted to stay in a comfortable cottage, cabin or chalet where we could care for our baby, cook outdoors, sip wine, read, and enjoy nature. We also desired to make short trips to the wineries and restaurants as the baby would allow. We did some research on the Internet and shortlisted a few places to stay. Availability would make the final decision. I couldn’t book five consecutive nights in a single cabin. As a result, we split our stay between Island Brook Estates and Acacia Chalets. The popularity of Margaret River Valley gave us confidence in our holiday decision.

We stayed 3 nights in the Semillon Chalet at Island Brook. It is nestled in the wilderness, a fair distance from the other two cottages. The best aspect of the chalet is the quiet privacy afforded to its inhabitants. The cottage has a small living room, two bedrooms and one decent sized bath. My wife enjoyed the Jacuzzi tub. It is appointed with a small TV, two small couches, and a very small dining table. The patio has a small table with four chairs at which we ate our meals and read. The kitchen contains all tools required to cook and eat.

There were some negatives to Island Brook. First, the chalet is stocked with Island Brook wine, chocolate, baked goods, etc. Careful, these are not complimentary. There is a price list on the hidden side of the refrigerator that I overlooked prior to eating some chocolate and drinking some wine. Yes, it’s my fault. However, my overall feeling was that the proprietor was excessively entrepreneurial. Second, I love to cook outside. The gas barbecue has a flat metal top as opposed to a grill top. I had never seen or used this type before, but found it to produce less than optimal results. Finally, the overall vibe of Island Brook was not great. The proprietor was polite, but not necessarily friendly or helpful. She provided a cot for the baby as requested, but asked us to provide our own bedding. She did not have much information to share regarding local activities, restaurants, etc.

We stayed at another similar set of cabins, Acacia Chalets south of Margaret River, and had an improved experience. Acacia Chalets has a trendier and more comfortable design. It is appointed with more care and capital. While Island Brook felt cramped, the Acacia living areas were large and airy especially the living room, kitchen, and outdoor deck with an excellent grill. The furnishings were a significant upgrade. There was a multitude of visitor information waiting on the coffee table. A couple of wallabies wandered up to the cabin. I wish my son was of an age to appreciate the site.

The proprietor was responsive. She had forgotten to bring the baby cot on the first night. She came to the chalet to apologise and was clearly upset with herself. She showed that she cared, was kind and repentant. She refunded the cost of the cot and brought us a complimentary bottle of wine. She turned a negative into a big positive. We learned in Perth that the baby wouldn’t sleep in a cot anyway (or in the airplane bassinet!), so it was good to get a refund. :)

There are only two downsides to Acacia Chalets. First, the chalets are fairly close to each other. This was not an issue for us as we were in the furthest chalet which did not look out to the others. Second, one can hear traffic from the Caves Rd. beyond the wild area. Neither was a deal breaker. Quite the opposite, I got to enjoy live music from a nearby winery.

The cost of Acacia Chalets and Island Brook Estates is comparable. I recommend Acacia. I also recommend a short holiday in Margaret River in a chalet, especially if you need to get away from the bustling city.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank travelwithbaby18
Also consider these accommodations in or near Metricup
Pullman Bunker Bay Resort Margaret River Region
#5 of 51 in Margaret River
Erravilla Country Estate
Erravilla Country Estate
#9 of 12 in Yallingup

Been to Island Brook Estate? Share your experiences!