WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Goodway Hotel Batam

Goodway Hotel Batam
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Nagoya
London, United Kingdom
“Comfy weekend getaway from Singapore”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2009

Stayed there for 3D2N in Apr 09 on a long weekend getaway from Singapore. Nice service, pleasant staff, clean rooms & 2 mins walk to Nagoya where all the bars are located. All in all, enjoyed my stay there. In-house hotel Thai-Chi strong massage is highly reccommended.

Stayed April 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2009

Stayed there with my friends for a 2D1N short trip, overall had enjoy my stay.

Cleaniness - Generally okay, but there were unexplained stains and cigarette butt holes on the bedsheet and pillows which leaves us abit disturbed. Also, the shower head is rather rusty. Other than that, the hotel is quite clean by normal standards.

Location - the location is pretty good, and it is just a 3 minute walk from a cheap and good massage parlor (SPORT MASSAGE CENTRE)! A short walk to Nagoya Hills Shopping Mall too, though we would prefer to cab there. Near the vacinity there is also a 2 storey Mcdonalds (24h) and KFC that would be good for late night hunger.

Service - OK only. Could be better, feels some of the staffs are abit rude. There was once I was at the counter with another male Caucasian tourist who was also checking out. The female counter staff know I have been standing there for a long time even before he was there yet she chose to help him out first, and the tourist had to tell her I came first before she turned to attend to me.

Security - Tight, had to enter a barrier everytime someones enters into the Hotel. We did not use the safe in our room after reading much reviews about break-ins, and my friend has also specially requested for rooms facing the street. (Rooms facing swimming pool are apparently more prone to break ins)

Food - The breakfasts are alright, but not exactly fabulous. I would still prefer the local street food. However they do have super cheap porridge buffets in the evening for dinner at about $3SGD per person.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2009

I went to Batam for a short getaway and my trip consists of a full day packaged tour and 2 days free & easy. Hence, i stayed in the hotel for 2 nights. Some experiences to share;

1. When i first came to the room, the smell was terrible and the room was stuffy. Had to turned the aircon to the lowest temperature possible before I can actually feel the cool air.

2. The window grill was not locked. As i was staying on the second floor, any local 'spiderman' will be able to invite himself in from the window. Do note that you do need to lock that before you leave your room.

3. The hotel is about 15 minutes walk to Nagoya Hill Shopping Centre, however, i was travelling alone and i found those alleys a little worrisome.

As i am a simple traveller, i think this hotel has met my basic needs. The staffs were friendly and always willing to help. More importantly, the Nasi Goreng served at the restaurant was delicious.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank fzfaizal
Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2008

I attended an SSPC Course in the hotel and stayed there for 6 nights. The first room they gave me had some problems with some bathroom leak. But the manager on duty immediately moved me to another room. I would suggest for you to ask for a room in front of the building instead of the one viewing the pool. I read the review about the robbery at the hotel room near the pool and saw where a thief might enter. Plus the view is better from the room facing the front of the hotel. They have an awesome buffet in the morning and lunch (since the course was also in the hotel). The gym was decent enough, open air. The girls did not seem to mind wearing skimpy attire. The bad part is neither did the men, who had their shirts off. There is no designated non-smoking area. So the room I got sometimes smells like smoke coming from the room next door or the hallway. And the Sports Massage place, like beside the hotel was great. And they had KFC and McDonald's walking distance too. High-speed internet in the room, just bring an adapter for the plug (220v).

• Liked — Buffet and Gym
  • Disliked — No designated for non-smoking areas
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2008

I just came back from Batam. My stay there was very good.
Staffs are friendly and helpful. In house breakfast and food is not bad. Security in hotel is good. The hotel is 15mins walk to Nagoyah hill shopping centre. Its better to walk, 2mins cab ride costs 40,000rp. All other shopping centres eg: D C mall and a new City Square shopping centre are about 10 -15mins drive. Must try City Square, very big and more shops than D C mall.
Must go to Mega Mart at Batam ferry terminal. Hair saloon with foot,hand,scalp massage are available. Hair cut, colour highlighting and washing costs only 170,000rp. Located at 2nd floor beside Konika photo shop. It is Popular among the locals.
Spa is available at hotel. For a proffesional massage go to Sport massage & Spa. It is on the right side building outside the hotel,last offfice in the row. Night life row of pubs located across the road. There is also a wine bar in the hotel.

• Liked — Spa &Shopping
  • Disliked — non
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vinboy
singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2008

The most unimaginable things happened to me. My room was broken into and the Safe box was being decoded. My family and I lost about 15K singapore dollars worth of valuables including a rolex watch. The theif had broken in from the balcony and the door of the balcony is spoil. The Hotel refered the matter to the police and refused to let us make call back to singapore limiting 1 phone calls for the 4 of us. They even tried to shift the blame to us saying that we are the theives. This is the worst case that can happen to anyone. This news is being published on their newspaper on the 9th july 2008 edition on the 2nd page. what a terrible experience.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — no safety in the hotel even in ur own room! beware! we stayed inside room 1115 and 1117
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank beckhamsong

Travelers are raving about these Nagoya hotels

New South Wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2008

We were looking to stay at some where other than Singapore to spend a few days while waiting for our plane back to Australia, as we have been travelling through India and Asia for the past five months. So we found the Goodway Hotel on the net and we thought we have not been there so lets go.

They say that they are four star, but we would put them an average three. They booked us into one room and we were nearly knocked over by the mildew, so we asked for another room and again a very strong mildew smell followed by a very loud air conditioner (in need of a new bearing) outside the window.

The staff were very obliging and the third attempt there was still a smell, but we took.

There is free LAN internet connection in the room and the beds are soft and comfortable.

The swimming pool area is pretty average.

The location is not too bad but Batam does not have that much to offer and I would not put it on the must see list. You possibly will need a visa on entry to Batam $10 USD for 7 Days or $25 USD for more, depending on your native country. Ferries run regularly from Johor Bahru and Singapore about $30 US each way, cheaper if you buy a return.

We can not up load any photos because we did not take any.

• Liked — Not a great deal
  • Disliked — Smelly Rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nagoya
Da Vienna Boutique Hotel
Grand I Hotel
Grand I Hotel
#14 of 94 in Batam
Nagoya Mansion Hotel & Residence

Been to Goodway Hotel Batam? Share your experiences!