“A very disappointing return”
Review of The Peacock Hotel - CLOSED

The Peacock Hotel
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We called over Easter and had a really nice meal.
Returning today for another meal my wife and I was shown to a table Which we had point out was available. Ordered a starter and main with sides, the starter arrived with a very small portion of prawns then we waited for over 30mins wondering were the main course was so we asked a member of staff to which they replied they said there had been a mix up and it was being plated up now. When the meals arrived the chips were stale and had a bitter taste so we requested new chips as the steak was cooked fine. The plates were taken away and we was told a new meal was being prepared. Finally on arrival the new meals were the old meals re heated and over cooked looking as thou the dog should be eating them.. We did not pay for these as they were not fit for human consumption.
Please note we eat in many pubs / restaurants and and have never been so disappointed and will unfortunately will not be returning.
We went to the ashford arms in ashford in the water and and had one of the best Sunday dinners around
Chow

1  Thank Cutth

Reviewed May 31, 2013

We ( a party of 4 ) went to the Peacock on 26th May . We had booked a table for 1 p.m. but were told on arrival that 'our' table wasn't ready . We ordered drinks but had to wait , and ask, after 20 mins . where our order was . It transpired that the written order had been placed at the bar where only 1 member of staff was serving and , of course , with a steady stream of people going to the bar for drinks , our order with others was pushed to the bottom of the queue .
Our main courses were delivered , eventually , at 2 p.m.
Will we be visiting the Peacock again ? NO!

2  Thank mikethrupp
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Being regular customers at the Peacock myself and my partner have never witnessed such disgusting behaviour as to what we saw last Friday evening. Having a meal and quiet drinks which were ruined by from what we could see as the owner shouting at the Manager over a slighty bright light, Threatening him with the sack and all this happening while other customers and staff were there to see and hear. We were horrified that this happened right in the middle of the restaurant and for something like this to happen to him not only humiliates him infront of his staff but you could also see how low it made him feel. Nothing like this should happen in the workplace, as an employer I would never speak too and belittle my staff in such a way. After this had happened we felt unsettled and soon left the premises. Not a night to remember......

4  Thank Hayleylb42
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Things were looking good when we me and my husband turned up without a table booking to be happily shown to a table shortly after arriving. After receiving the wrong starter after a 40 minute wait which was returned to the kitchen another 10 minutes went by before we were told that the starter we had actually ordered (warm breads with balsamic vinegar olives and sun blushed tomatoes) would have no olives as they had ran out. We duly cancelled the starter and requested to go straight to our main meal. Another 20 minutes went by with waitresses popping their heads round the corner on a regular basis(obviously embarrassed) to check whether we had any food yet. Eventually our mains turned up, mine being Linguine and Seabass whilst my husband opted for a Texas burger consisting of a 6oz (NOT) burger with bacon on and sides of coleslaw and homemade chips. The burger turned out to be tiny but cooked and the bacon was raw. We asked the waitress to look at the meal and she agreed that the bacon was raw (it was completely cold as well) and the burger was not a 6oz one as stated on the menu. She couldn't apologise enough and bless her was mortified and profusely apologised asking if my husband would like either more bacon cooking or another meal cooking. I managed to stomach my Seabass feeling awkward that all my husband had to eat was a side order of lovely onion rings, I soon lost my appetite. The waitress duly returned stating that my meal wouldn't be charged for either and once again apologised. However at no point did any senior member of staff deem it necessary to come over to our table and apologise but sent our drinks bill with the waitress. The bill was for a Bells whisky and a pint of Fosters, we actually had had a Southern Comfort and Lemonade and a pint of Shandy. We paid the drinks bill as we were so fed up at this stage it was becoming ridiculous and told the waitress this. She duly expressed her sorrow and stated that no doubt we would not be returning. The waitress was the only saving grace of this appalling night and she deserves a medal as the senior staff have adopted the head in the sand approach to problems and duly were elsewhere when we left.

4  Thank dooey123
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My wife and I visited the Peacock last night, the drinks were expensive £4.80 a pint of lager after being shown to a table we ordered a easy starter option of warm breads with olives and olive oils to share, after 40 minutes wait we had a hot camembert delivered to the table which we politely explained we had not ordered this and it was taken away. Then the next waitress arrived minutes later to inform us they had ran out of olives for the warm bread platter, we cancelled the starter and requested the main meal. How easy is a Texas 6oz burger with cheese ,bacon and onion rings, the burger was a economy burger topped with cheese and wait for it a slice of raw bacon !!! ,the meal went back and I was informed there would be no charge for the meal, at this point the wife was half way through hers and left it through loss of appetite and although I had not had a meal I asked for the drinks bill, to be charged for a bells whiskey we had not had.

4  Thank Wayne B