“Never Again”

The Peacock Hotel
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My wife and I visited the Peacock last night, the drinks were expensive £4.80 a pint of lager after being shown to a table we ordered a easy starter option of warm breads with olives and olive oils to share, after 40 minutes wait we had a hot camembert delivered to the table which we politely explained we had not ordered this and it was taken away. Then the next waitress arrived minutes later to inform us they had ran out of olives for the warm bread platter, we cancelled the starter and requested the main meal. How easy is a Texas 6oz burger with cheese ,bacon and onion rings, the burger was a economy burger topped with cheese and wait for it a slice of raw bacon !!! ,the meal went back and I was informed there would be no charge for the meal, at this point the wife was half way through hers and left it through loss of appetite and although I had not had a meal I asked for the drinks bill, to be charged for a bells whiskey we had not had.

4  Thank Wayne B

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We have visited The Peacock several times on our trips to The Peak District over the years. It is a large traditional English Pub with many quirky features. We love the setting, the large garden for the children and the food was well cooked, homely english fare which was good value. However on this trip we found that it is now a 'fine dining restaurant'! The place was stuffed full of gaudy chandeliers, mirrors, flowers, candles and cushions with photo's of dogs and cats! The menu looked good however The lamb with a polenta cake and purple sprouting brocoli was tasteless and smothered in what taste like cheep gravey and the brocoli was more yellow than purple. My husband enjoyed his fish and chips but this was pricey! Sorry will not be returning!

3  Thank Carrina1203
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This place was reccomended to us by a friend so we had high hopes.

We went on a Sunday evening a few weeks ago and were disappointed to find a limited menu. The main meal my girlfriend had picked out from the website wasn't being served. Instead we opted for two Sunday roasts. We had starters which were pretty good - I had Pate which was tasty. The service was pretty slow and when the main course arrived we were disappointed. Everything was dry and tasteless. The yorkshire pudding was like cardboard. The only saving grace would have been to moisten the meal with plenty of gravy - but sadly there was only a miniscule amount, seemingly driven by arty presentation of the food.

Leaving dissapointed, we assumed we'd had a bad one-off experience and decided to try again recently. We visited mid-week to ensure the pork belly my girlfriend wanted was on the menu. The service was again slow. To start, we had a plate of bread and olives. The garlic oil was great, as was the balsamic - clearly of good quality. On the other hand, while the olives were fine, they were pretty obviously from a supermarket jar. The bread was similar - clearly a part baked baguette cut into strips. There was also a lot to deal with and the amount of bread served filled us up before our main courses arrived. The reason we chose bread and olives to share is that we hoped it would be a ligher option.

For main course, I had steak fajita which was pretty good. It was served on a sizzling skillet which added drama to the meal. My only complaint is that like the starter, there was a lot of food - possibly too much really. Still, the steak was tasty and it was served with a good selection of acompaniments. My girlfriend was more disappointed with her main meal. It came with a block of potato, which my girlfriend complained was undercooked. She complained to the staff, but it was not dealt with very well at all and they offered no resolution.

The meal cost around £45 which I thought was bad value, even if everything had gone smoothly. Better food can be had elsewhere for less.

The interior decor is very subjective, but I found it a bit odd. It's nice to see they've made an effort to be different to the norm and it's better than the vast majority of places in the area. Having said that, to me it feels like a cheap immitation of something they saw elsewhere. Lots of old fashioned floral frames and grand chandeliers combined with garish bright coloured lighting and fabrics. Oh well, each to their own.

4  Thank Andrew W
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We went to the Peacock for a family meal and must say the service was excellant though we when the food arrived and for these prices you expect fresh veg but no they were out of a packet and of very poor quality. We liked everything else really good well cooked food even home made battered onion rings so why spoil good food with frozen veg, so wont be going back unless things change.

1  Thank KARL B
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This has been refurbished and it works. The food is good value, the service good, and the beer good enough. This pub has always had its ups and downs and at the moment it is on an up. Let's hope it stays there.

1  Thank jake1642