“Tardis”

Ranked #2 of 56 Restaurants in Alfreton
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Looks entirely unimpressive from the outside. A very ordinary country pub that you probably wouldn't give a second thought to.

Inside it's a bit of a revelation. More modern than you expected and yet still retaining bits of its original character including a nice open fireplace. It seems to go on and on and appears much larger than you might imagine from just driving past.

More importantly, the staff are very welcoming and genuinely nice. The food is great and well worth the money. Speed of service is good although busier nights will tend to slow things down a little.

Well worth a visit and we've been a couple of times and will definitely be going back again.

Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

We ate here for the first time on Friday 6th December after recommendations by various people.
We both had the scallops to start which were the best we had had in a very long time!
The mains didn't disappoint either, perfect lamb and beautiful boned quail.
We will be back.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Visited The Plough on a Thursday night on my own as I was around the area on business, and I must say that the food and the service on that night were fantastic. Granted I was the only one in the restaurant for most of the night, which did make me wonder if it was actually any good! The range guest beers were really nice as well which made my meal that much nicer (sad I know!!). I had 2 special meals which was scallops and a beef fillet. The scallops were nice, but I think they were frozen which isn't a problem but I would prefer fresh obviously! The beef however was the nicest piece of beef I have had this year - in terms of flavor and how I like it cooking. I always like beef rare, and it was cooked to perfection. I couldn't find fault with anything really; one very happy customer! My only problem, is that I didn't have any change for a tip so I promise I will leave a bit extra the next time I am down on business in a few weeks!

Reviewed December 2, 2013

We have previously eaten lunch here on a few occasions, so it was no problem to decide where to have lunch. We were warmly greeted by Kelly, the server for todays lunch. The guest beer was excellent, and the house white wine was very good. We decided to have the special, which included the Cottage Pie. My starter of Mushroom Soup arrived after 40 minutes, by that time we had consumed the freshly baked rolls, but Kelly asked if we would like more, but we thanked her and said no. The soup was lacking in any flavour, and in a blind tasting you would struggle to guess what it was, only because it was grey did I know it was Mushroom. The Cottage pie arrived in a individual dish on a large plate, it was served with new potatoes. carrot batons, and broccoli. Because the pie was dry we asked for a jug of gravy. On further inspection the meat in the pie dish seemed a strange pink colour, we argued between ourselves what sort of animal would produce a pink tasteless slurry, any way we gave and told Kelly we could not eat the enigmatic meat and to ask Chef what it was, she returned to say it would be removed from the bill, and it was a mixture of Pork and Beef, well this is the first (and last) we would try anything so exotic. In all we have had some good meals here, so maybe the rubbish food is just isolated . We will have to see.

2  Thank Antondec
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Since the change of ownership myself and a friend have had lunch here several times so it was our choice to use this venue to celebrate a friends birthday.
They allowed us to decorate the table in advance and when we arrived we were made very welcome. We had a drink in the bar and then we were shown to our table. The food was wonderful. I had smoked salmon for my starter and it was home smoked and tasted really fresh and tasty followed by the quail, it also was cooked to perfection by a chef who knows how to cook.
When it came to dessert the birthday girls plate was piped with a special message in chocolate on her plate. A lovely touch I thought that made it special. I would advise anyone to go to this place be it just for a drink, a cosy meal or a special occasion. Wonderful service and a nice place to dine.