“Good, honest hospitality at its best . . .”

The Plough Inn at Brackenfield
Ranked #1 of 54 Restaurants in Alfreton
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Sedgefield, United Kingdom
“Good, honest hospitality at its best . . .”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

It’s a few years since I’ve dined at the Plough at Brackenfield and that wasn’t a wonderful experience - largely because some felon decided to smash both locks on my new BMW to try to steal the CD player (?) while we having a late evening meal.
No such problems on our latest visit with friends - and what a wonderful experience it proved to be! The Plough has recently been taken over by Anthony Spencer and Laura Kay who arrive with very impressive pedigrees and a clear determination to provide what they describe as ‘good, honest hospitality’.
They’ve obviously been working hard because the three-course meal we chose this week simply could not be faulted and in at least thirty years of writing dining-out reviews, I cannot recall saying that on more than a handful of occasions.
The dishes for our four-strong party were, by unanimous agreement, superb ,well-presented and served by staff who clearly enjoy what they do. Take Amanda and Greg, for example. On a fairly busy Saturday night, they even found time to teach the ladies in our party how to fold linen napkins to a special format they had not previously encountered. And, believe me, they know a bit about folding napkins! Caring touches like that make an enormous difference to any establishment’s reputation. I should make mention, too, of the ambience at Plough which has all the conventional hallmarks of a delightful country inn but with added warmth and a touch more style. Oh . . . and I cannot ignore the Chilean merlot which was delightful.
In the harsh light of day, how would I grade the Plough? That’s easy. It’s probably the best meal I’ve enjoyed locally for many a long year (though if I were allowed just one small nit-pick, I would have preferred a touch more body to the custard). Having said that, I’m sure I shall be accused by the good wife and our friends that I’m being a trifle mean. So . . . I’ll say it’s definitely the best I’ve had in recent times. We shall be back there soon . . .

• Visited November 2013

Derby, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, service and beer...”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Until a couple of years ago, used to go to the Plough quite often until was taken over, under the new ownership at the time the food was was distinctly average. So today, around two years later we gave it a try, evidently ownership has changed, the service and the quality of food was excellent. It was also good to see that they still had "Black Hole" on, not sure of brewery but this is a very good beer, being a brewer myself (and somewhat picky) this is a very good pint.

Certainly worth a visit...

• Visited November 2013
San Antonio, TX
“Neat place to dine”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The Plough was recommended to us for dinner during the week. Old charming building with a neat interior, that is out in the country. Good food and service with a very adequate menu along with the daily specials. Friendly staff and a good bar. I highly recommend this to others.

Alfreton, United Kingdom
“Very good Sunday lunch”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Sunday lunch at The Plough is very good. A lovely atmosphere with families and couple enjoying the ambience. The four separate dining areas are linked by adjoining doors ways which gives an intimate feeling, but also creates the impression of space. The staff are very pleasant and attentive. The service was a little slow but bearing in mind the number of diners and the fact that it was Sunday lunch, this did not detract from the experience. It actually made for a more relaxed meal. The food itself was very good, much better than the usual carvery type fayre available at many restaurants/pubs. There was a good choice on the menu without being too extensive to bewilder you with options. The quantities were just right and we managed to get to the sweet menu. Always a good situation! There is a choice of real ales in the bar which were of high quality. All in all I would recommend The Plough for an enjoyable Sunday lunch.

“Absolutely fabulous!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We came to the plough for dinner on Monday! The food was fantastic and the staff extremely friendly! We will most definitely be visiting again! The plough was recomeneded to us and we were not disappointed.