“A nice friendly place.”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

A good, friendly pub. A short wait for what was clearly freshly cooked food. Nothing was too much trouble and we had a nice chat with the affable barman and female owner. Worthy of dropping in and giving your support. Deserves to do well.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I've visited here for a few years now, mainly for the beer. It's excellent quality and the landlord (John) is very keen to keep it well and interesting.

It's a family run business, and can be very quiet and perhaps a little odd at times (it is in the countryside!). However, I've always found it friendly, comfortable and welcoming. Do check they are open though because evening opening is occasionally a minute or two later than advertised.

I have eaten there quite a few times, and I've often taken family with me who were always impressed. The food is traditional, very rich, and it is definitely not a healthy snack menu. You also really need to book for food because they prepare in advance. The restaurant menu is very extensive and perfectly cooked.

On the most recent visit, I took my grandmother who is old and infirm and I explained about her access needs and diet. They made sure we had a suitable table, helped her in, had a waiter on hand to carry her plate (it was Sunday carvery), and checked to make sure she was well. I asked for something not on the menu at the time of booking and they cooked is specially. What better service could you ask for?

Not a place for everyone, but well worth a visit. Just don't expect to "turn up for pub grub" and find a heaving place full of staff of obsequious staff! It's good food, cooked to order, ideal for a planned evening though.

2  Thank Karl R
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Our plan was to go for a short 15-20min walk before our baby would need a feed and then eat some lunch at the pub.

We parked in an almost empty car park after checking carefully to ensure that no signs were on display suggesting that we couldn't, and were almost ready to set off when one member of staff marched over to us and told us that we cannot park here "unless we were going into the pub". When we explained that we would be visiting for lunch in 20mins time after a short stroll the staff member told us that we "needed to ask permission to park in the car park, and that the pub would be closed when we were expecting to return".

We were a little surprised to hear that they were closing at 1.00pm on a Bank Holiday Saturday but did as he said and asked if we could park to which we were told that "I'll let you off this time, but you wouldn't like the sticky stuff we would put onto your car if you didn't ask".

Needless to say the rude and threatening attitude of the staff put us right off going in to eat and I would strongly recommend others to steer clear of this unfriendly establishment that seems willing to threaten criminal damage to your property!
To put the final nail in the coffin we passed by the pub later in the day en route elsewhere and they were open with people drinking on the picnic benches outside. Clearly we were not welcome!

6  Thank Rob F
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My Wife & I have celebrated our wedding anniversary in this pub every year since we had our wedding reception there 8 years ago.

It's a wonderful place to eat. The food is freshly cooked and the Owners & staff are always helpful & Polite.

2  Thank AndyW1306
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Just dropped in on the off chance they were still serving food, 2.20pm, despite the menu saying finish food at 2 they were more than hospitable. Meal ordered, one orange salmon and one game pie, told it would be half an hour due to meals being prepared fresh, no problem. A pint of Wobbly Bob went down so well a second was ordered before the food arrived.
Food excellent and definitely cooked fresh, game pie gravy to die for. Chef/owner came out to check all was well, a nice touch.
Thank you all for a very pleasant experience.