“Mothers Day lunch”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have visited this pub for many years and the food varies from one week to the next. The mothers day lunch was pre-booked and the food was OK, beef a bit tough and dry, and Fish and chips was more batter than fish. OK place to visit for a meal but not a special occasion.

Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Staff were unfriendly, unwelcoming, unattentive and uninterested.

Food was nondescript and bland.

Avoid.

1  Thank RoamingGurl
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I have never had a problem with this place until my recent visit. I booked a table for 8 and a few of us turned up early. We were sat down and then just left for about 15 minutes with no offer of drinks. When we did order it took another 15 minutes for the drinks to come and I had to ask the waitress where they were. The rest of our group turned up and were sat awhile before we had to call over a waitress to take another drink order. When our wine turned up we were given two different glasses to drink from. Then the food was ordered and the starters turned up, the presentation was awful, there was obviously hardly any effort gone into them at all. When the mains arrived half of them were barely warm and two had not been brought to the table. So we waited about 15 minutes and they still didn't bring them over. So I went over the waitress that was just standing there talking to the chef at the carvery and asked where they were and I was told yeah yeah be a few secs. Everyone else had almost finished when the meals were brought over. The reason for the delay was apparently because the till had run out of roll that sends the orders to the kitchen. The till which she was inputting the order was opposite the door to the kitchen. The garlic bread was a baguette with a bit of garlic butter on it. The nachos were a tiny bowl of nachos with some salsa and sour cream thrown on them. We didn't received a salad we ordered but they put it on the bill anyway. Then at 10 we were told by two waitresses that if we wanted more drinks we would have to go to the bar as their shifts had ended. And they left the restaurant with us just sitting there no waitresses no bill. I am absolutely discusted by the service here and I will never ever come back. I work in the food industry and I wouldn't even dream about treated the rudest customer the way we were treated.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We visited The New River Arms on Sunday 27 January 2013. The value was absolutely amazing the Carvery was amazing and the deserts were stunning. The staff were absolutely excellent they were very attentive. The people that do want to eat at this place make sure you book before you turn up because no booking they will just turn you straight away...

Jamie

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Took my family here as a pre-Christmas treat. When we arrived they had no record of our booking - even though we had rung since making the booking to request a particular table, which they said they had noted! waitresses were not interested in serving customers, just wanted to lark about with a new member of staff. We opted for the carvery option, but then had to wait over 7 minutes until someone could find the chef to carve. The vegetables were ok, but rather bland and tasteless. My husband had a starter of prawn-cocktail at £6 it was unbelieveble - it turned up with just a desert spoon of frozen prawns in a sauce with 3 lettuce leafs plonked on a plate.