“Expensive but comfortable”

Cheshunt Marriott Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Broxbourne
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed here for one night hosting an evening business meeting. The rooms were large enough a d comfortable and the staff very helpful and attentive. The business manager was excellent and, whilst the meeting room that we had booked would have been too small, the additional room supplied adjacent to it made it perfect. As a business we try to use Marriott hotels for meetings of this type as they are of a good consistent quality. This hotel doesn't let the group down in any way IMO.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

It really is a disgrace what is offered for the price you pay. The hotel is always busy during the week due to its location near big multinationals and clearly that has made the owner of this hotel not care about the standards.

The rooms are shabby and old fashioned, the sheets are thin and if you're staying there in the winter, expect to be very cold as even in June I was! The heating system is so old fashioned it beggars belief, a very noisy storage heater, don't expect sleep if you're cold and the same applies if you're hot as you have to use the same device as a fan.

The towels are the worst I've ever had at any standard of hotel never mind an alleged 4 star! They were thin and hard and weren't very good at drying. The iron will leak all is water over your clothes if you add water and try to use it as a steam iron, even on maximum heat.

The room I had was adjoining so as you may expect, you get woken up by the guest next door. First alarm clock, then a conversation on the phone and then their full get ready for work ritual. This is after I've asked for a quiet room!

The bar closes early even if there are lots of guests who want to stay up to have a drink and the swimming pool is terrible. You are expected to cross a guest room corridor in your swimming outfit to get to the pool! The sign posting for the leisure facilities are also inadequate, I came across an elderly lady who couldn't find the pill as the signs ended with a junction to go! !!

Please do something about this Marriott, it is damaging your reputation! !!!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank elysiumuk
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We only stayed one night at this Marriott. I cannot remember the last time I stayed at a Marriott but was pleasantly surprised by the reception (good), food (good) and the ambience and facilities (looked great, but didn't get an opportunity to use them). Would recommend this Marriott without hesitation.

Room Tip: No particular advice to offer, only two floors, Ground and 1st as far as I know.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

In terms of location it's on the side of the A10 so expect road noise and the carpark is chargeable

The reception area is light and airy with an open plan restaurant and bar on either side of the corridor

Check in was ok, but I was shocked to be charged £15 for wifi! I mean come on Marriott this IS the 21st century wifi is standard in most hotels and is rarely charged much above a £5 so to my mind £15 is daylight robbery!

The room was a fair size but very dated, the carpet an insipid faded yellow, the wardrobe some kind of slidy door effort that screeched when opened, the bathroom was some kind of annex and some ageing pale cream suite. The bed was lumpy and the aging aircon unit, a necessity due to road noise was so noisy as it fired up and switched off in the night I had to switch it off and sweat

The only redeeming factor to this hotel was the staff at breakfast, they were excellent, very friendly, attentive and hard working one chap, "Den" especially!

But sadly that's not going to change my opinion,
Would I recommend/ come again?
In a word, No

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Marriott experience was amazing and was made even greater by the staff members. Chef Abdul provided us with delicious food throughout the whole of our stay! He couldn't have provided such phenomenal service without the help of his great colleague Sam Youssef. They were both incredibly friendly and constantly asked if we required their service. Anyone staying at Marriott cheshunt must ask for these members of staff, allowing your stay to be made that much more enjoyable! Extremely satisfying and unforgettable experience at the Marriott...thanks Chef Abdul and Sam!

The service overall was great- as I called up a couple of times to ask for towels and staff members would arrive at the door within a few minutes! Staff all around were friendly and greet you a big smile when they see you :)

Definitely a Marriott worth visiting!

Attached below are a couple of dishes made easily by chef Abdul :) Chocolate fondant was superb and one of the best I have tried and decorated in a very artistic manner

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2013

A bad advertisement for Marriott which has inspired my first ever review on Tripadviser after many years enjoying Marriott service and surroundings world-wide. Hotel is dated as many posts mention but I've never experienced such non-response to complaints. After leaving at 8am for a day out, returned at 4.30pm to find room not serviced. Complained and retreated to the pool only to return to find that room service had not cleaned cups or removed towels- had only straightened out the bedclothes!

Phoned again to ask for some replenishment on the coffee and tea- said they would be straight around but weren't - so went to the bar to get these myself (and hand washed cups in sink).

My impression is that this hotel is lacking in management all around- and suspect that it is a owner franchise happy to take whatever cash they can get given close proximity to London.

A real shame- a slight on the Marriott brand.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
CheshuntMarriott, General Manager at Cheshunt Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Thank you for your comments. My sincere apologies for the challenges that you and your family experienced during your visit and that these were not resolved prior to you leaving the hotel. I have shared your comments with the team to ensure that they are fully aware of our guest expectations and that we continue to look for improvement to ensure that every guest has the best experience.
I do trust that we will have the opportunity in the very near future to restore your confidence in the services we offer and would ask that you contact me prior to your next visit in order that we can ensure a more memorable visit to The Cheshunt Marriott. Ross Paton, General Manager.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed here as part of a Groupon deal with Paradise Wildlife park. We had dinner and stay at the hotel included. We had always heard good things about Marriott hotels so we expected it to be nice, but it was about the same standard as a Premier Inn.

The room was a bit outdated with the giant TV (most hotels have flat screens nowadays) and the grotty looking bathroom. The bed was quite comfortable though and we had a good nights sleep.

We ate in the restaurant as part of the deal but weren’t pre-warned that we could only choose 2 courses from the set menu rather than 3, we found out when we tried to order dessert at the end of the meal. The food was okay, not great – the vegetables were hard and we left quite a lot of it. The service was the worst part though. No one waiter/waitress served you meaning they all assumed you were being served which made things a lot slower.

I wouldn’t choose this hotel, we had to have it as part of the deal and I wouldn’t really recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hannahgosney
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broxbourne
Travelodge Cheshunt
Down Hall Hotel & Spa
Down Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Hatfield Heath
Fanhams Hall Hotel

Been to Cheshunt Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!