“Superb Staff”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Broxbourne
London, England, United Kingdom
“Superb Staff”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This is about my 5th stay at the Marriott Cheshunt and the staff never fail to amaze with their overwhelming friendly can do attitude. Sam and Abdul always very friendly and make us very welcome. The rooms are clean and very comfortable. The swimming pool is a nice relaxing treat after a workout in the gym. Sarah always efficient on handling my booking. Also a mention for the young girls serving in the bar and restaurant always a smile and chat at breakfast. Thanks again and we will be back soon.

Room Tip: Never had a bad room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
CheshuntMarriott, General Manager at Cheshunt Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, I have shared your comments with the team and am delighted to hear that you had a great experience. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future, Kindest Regards, Russell Prior, GM.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Polish first
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Such a shame. This is a nice hotel, and if you get a deal, good value for money, considering it's lack of competition.

My first impression started on a downer, with something that few others seem to be bothered by - paying for parking. I understand that a hotel in this kind of location has problems with unwelcome non-resident parkers, but there are better ways to deal with it than stinging guests, and putting up threatening signs everywhere.

Still, I moaned to the patient girl on reception, who'd probably heard it a million times before, and she comped it. Not really the point, but welcome generosity.

All was well.

Room is nice. I kinda like the separate sink idea. It means you can brush your teeth while your companion competes their less savoury ablutions.

Dinner was a shame though. Due to a large party booked in, we couldn't sit in the restaurant. Instead we were sat in the bar, which wad quite accommodating of them. The problem is that no waiting staff seemed to have been allocated to serve tables in the bar, and so service arrived on an ad-hoc basis. Fine in a low-end place. Not fine when you're charging 15 quid for a burger.

The final straw for me is 15 quid a day for wifi. Access to the internet is a basic standard these days, and this just smacks of meanness. There's even a computer knocking about on the ground floor, beckoning you to check your email or Facebook. But no, even that costs money. I went for a beer in the bar. Since I couldn't access my newspaper subscription on my tablet, I asked reception if there were any papers I could read. "Yes, we have the Times", came the reply......"that'll be 1 pound"

It's the little things that count in a hotel stay, as someone more complimentary has said before. Three problem is that here, they'll charge you for them.

It's a shame because the staff are mostly very good, the food and room were also good. It's just the management's mean streak that let's it down and I won't be staying again.

• Stayed February 2013
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I too was victim of the 3am fire alarm fiasco in -3/-4 degrees. Understand these things happen but the night staff were terrible and didn't speak to the guests who were either outside freezing or inside with the blaring alarm. A bit of re-assurance that it was being looked into would have been nice! But this is the ONLY complaint and I stayed here for 3 weeks on business and the rest was faultless. The manager was around the next day apologizing profusely so that helped ease the anger of the night before!
Food and beverage staff are extremely friendly and accommodating. Food itself very tasty - probably tried everything on the menu. I like it when the chef comes around and asks you how you found everything. It's a nice touch. Again they are very accommodating - I have some diet restrictions so it was no problem to get exceptions to the menu etc.
Bar is lovely with gas fire. Wifi you can get 1 hour/day free. More than that is too expensive to bother.
Other 'freebies' always around. E.g. coffee and takeaway cups in the morning. Sometimes mulled wine or hot chocolate or juice waiting for you when you got back in the afternoon. These extra touches really make this hotel special. One day there was even the chef in the lobby serving soup shots and hot nibbles.
Room as warm as you liked. Good water pressure. Nice flat screen tv. Bedding so comfortable! No complaints about the room. I'm not fussy when it comes to decoration as long as everything is clean.
Gym is small - you want to hit the quiet times to ensure you get to do what you want. Pool/hot tub - really great to spend time in. Change rooms kept very warm and plenty of towels/hairdryers/wet kit bags.
I only tried the breakfast twice. It is £15 pp so I don't know what you would have to eat to get £15 worth at breakfast although the selection was nice and you have chef there cooking to order. Still steep at £15.
Location I thought was ideal. No car - could walk to train station (30 mins) and Brookfield retail park in under 10 mins. The Tesco there is humongous and open 24hours also there is an M&S, Boots, Outfit, New Look, Clarks et al if you like to pass the evenings shopping.
With the exception of the night staff mentioned above, I found everyone extremely friendly yet professional and I will definitely stay there again should I return on business.

Room Tip: In winter top floor was warmest.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
St Ives, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This isn't the warmest of hotels to stay in on a winter's night as the heating system in the bedrooms only appears to blast out hot air followed by blasts of freezing air conditioning. A bit stupid don't you think? The restaurant staff and the girls on reception during the day are eccellent but the night desk staff certainly need some training about how and when to brief guesyts in an emergency. At 3am the fire alarm went off so we all trooped outside in minus 8 degrees. We did not know that there wasn't a fire but that a sprinkler had frozen and set off all the alarms! Nobody came to brief us. The 30 minutes later the alarm bells stopped and although neither the night desk manager or the fire brigade told us to, many people went back to their rooms. We stayed by the gas fire in the closed bar trying to thaw when all of a sudden the alarm went off again and everybody trooped back out from their rooms. Ten minutes later the alarms stopped and everybody went back but again no briedfing from staff, not even a "good night and all is well". It doesn't create any confidence, so we stopped a manager in the corridor and he said it was OK to go to bed. It wasn't easy to go to sleep after that and unfortunately we had to drive a 7 hour journey that day in bad weather after breakfast. It is difficult to rate this hotel fairly after what happened as the food service staff and ladies on day reception were excellent. Our room was clean and except for the heating problem and the fact that the plug in the wash basin did not work, it was OK. The beds were comfortable in room 161. We stayed three nights. We really feel that the management of this hotel needs to do some training with the night staff regarding communicating with customers in an emergency.

Room Tip: Read what others have said about the rooms. Remember to pay for your car parking when you arrive. Th...
Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cleggyCornwall
Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Nice Hotel room was a good size, bathroom clean and functional, ask for an inside room as yor patio leads onto the Gardens which in the summer would be very nice. The Hotel has a small gym and a swimming pool which were very nice. Food at the hotel was very nice but as with most hotels very expensive. Staff were Excellent .

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room looks out onto Gardens rooms have a small patio area.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Started off in room 141 which wasnt cleaned.. So was given a free upgrade & complimentary drink.. So we start again in room 108, broken bath basically couldnt turn it off and was leaking.. So free upgrade to "a suite" with seperate bedroom (basically like a one bed flat) & 10% off my bill. Whilst this annoyed me desperatley as nothing was going right & it was my sons and partners birthday- also draggin my 3 year old from room to room i cannot fault the staff at all!! They were deeply apologetic and made it right very fast they are a great team and the room we are in now is lovely! Would 100% recommend it as if there is a problem with your room they are more than accomodating for your needs!

• Stayed January 2013
Worksop
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed at the Marriot for three nights in January 2013. The room was fairly large with a double bed and a sofa as well as the usual room conveniences such as T.V. and coffee making facilities. The bathroom set up was fairly strange with the bath/shower and toilet in one room but the wash basin was in effect in your room which I found a bit strange. The hotel has a pool and Gym although I didn't use them. Food wise the evening menu was fairly limited and as with most hotels pretty pricey i.e. Burger n Chips £14 and a pint of Lager just short of £5. Yes I know its London and yes its a hotel but I'm sorry I've had better and for a lot less. Most hotels these days also offer FREE WIFI however not the Marriot with a price of £15 for 24hrs. I'm sorry but thats just a rip off. The best parts about this hotel were the staff who were all polite and happy to help and the breakfast had something for everyone.
Would I stay here again probably not. :0(

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broxbourne
Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel
Premier Inn Ware Hotel
Royal Chace Hotel
Royal Chace Hotel
#2 of 5 in Enfield

Been to Cheshunt Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!