“Families Favourite Indian Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Motiraj

Motiraj
Ranked #28 of 420 Restaurants in Sunderland
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Romantic, Dining on a budget, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Families Favourite Indian Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

we have eaten at the Motiraj for a very long time. The restaurant has been in the same family for nearly forty years, in fact this year they will be celebrating their 40th anniversary of the restaurant. Whenever we go we get a warm welcome from the everyone there. It's all personal service, probably up to silver service level.
The food is exceptional, no matter what you pick from the menu, they have a fantastic selection of starters, main courses and sweets. I can't say too much about the sweets as I've never managed to eat three courses, as two is more than plenty for me!! If you are in Sunderland or the local area, I would strongly recommend a visit here, you will really enjoy it!

Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Disappointed this time i am sad to say”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

I have been here a few times and although I have never found the food outstanding, its adequate, good value for money and the service is pleasant and very quick. I had a Rogan Josh which was so bland and a starter of bhuna prawn which was also a little tasteless, such a shame, I hope it was just an off day

Spennymoor, United Kingdom
“Nice prelude to theatre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Had a meal here prior to going to see Soul Sister at the Empire last night. Love Indian food and this was no disappointment. Good varied menu choice. Starters for two, delicious main meals with pilau rices and a naan bread (this was particularly superb), bottle house wine (nicely chilled) and a lager...all for £47. Very attentive staff (but note we were first customers in at 5.30pm) in obviously well-kept surroundings. Can definitely recommend and we will certainly go again.

• Visited September 2013
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Not What I Was Expecting, Should of Stuck With My Wifes Choice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

After seeing the Restaurant was in the top 5 (at the time) on this website and various recommendations over the years, I managed to change my wifes mind from eating at Asiana to eat here for the 1st ever time for our Wedding Anniversary.
Upon being seated i was presented with a very bare table setting with a cheap paper serviette,
My Wife ordered Onion Bhaji and I ordered King Prawn on puree, My wifes Bhaji was Just Run of the Mill and my King Prawn on Puree was just overpowering with heat but packed very little flavour.and I do wish some Indian Restaurants could try and be a little more inventive and take some pride in presentation instead of getting the obligatory 1980's iceberg lettuce, Tomato and Cucumber garnish, This unfortunately was not one of them.
For Main Course my wife had Prawn Dansak and I chose the Mixed Kebab we also had a garlic and cheese Naan and a pilau rice to accompany the dishes.
The Prawn Dansak again was Run of the mill nothing too exciting, And after taking a bite of the lamb from my mixed kebab I was soon disappointed with my choice the meat was Tough and again not much skill shown on the flavour front it was just heat, I struggled to eat half. The Cheese and Garlic Naan However was (when you got some cheese in your Mouthful) talk out loud nice it was amazing it's just a shame the rest of the meal was not up to the same standards. After Having my mouth assassinated by heat i decided to have some Vanilla ice cream to clean my palate, This was lovely and i enjoyed every mouthful.
The service was again okay but that was the whole dining experience just okay, I feel the Motiraj is living off its long standing reputation as being one of, if not the best restaurant in Sunderland, Maybe the day of my visit was an off day or the Head Chef was on his/her day off. Unfortunately it was so underwhelming i would not go back and give it a 2nd chance.

• Visited August 2013
“Amazing food, every time.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is my absolute favourite Indian restaurant. I have never been disappointed. Great food everytime and service is always great. Never have to wait long for a table even if you haven't booked. Staff are willing to make curries to particular taste. The food is good value particularly on Thursday and Sundays on the special offers. Would recommend to anyone.