“Disappointed this time i am sad to say” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Motiraj

Motiraj
Ranked #34 of 417 Restaurants in Sunderland
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Dining on a budget, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Disappointed this time i am sad to say”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

I have been here a few times and although I have never found the food outstanding, its adequate, good value for money and the service is pleasant and very quick. I had a Rogan Josh which was so bland and a starter of bhuna prawn which was also a little tasteless, such a shame, I hope it was just an off day

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Spennymoor, United Kingdom
“Nice prelude to theatre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Had a meal here prior to going to see Soul Sister at the Empire last night. Love Indian food and this was no disappointment. Good varied menu choice. Starters for two, delicious main meals with pilau rices and a naan bread (this was particularly superb), bottle house wine (nicely chilled) and a lager...all for £47. Very attentive staff (but note we were first customers in at 5.30pm) in obviously well-kept surroundings. Can definitely recommend and we will certainly go again.

• Visited September 2013
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Not What I Was Expecting, Should of Stuck With My Wifes Choice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

After seeing the Restaurant was in the top 5 (at the time) on this website and various recommendations over the years, I managed to change my wifes mind from eating at Asiana to eat here for the 1st ever time for our Wedding Anniversary.
Upon being seated i was presented with a very bare table setting with a cheap paper serviette,
My Wife ordered Onion Bhaji and I ordered King Prawn on puree, My wifes Bhaji was Just Run of the Mill and my King Prawn on Puree was just overpowering with heat but packed very little flavour.and I do wish some Indian Restaurants could try and be a little more inventive and take some pride in presentation instead of getting the obligatory 1980's iceberg lettuce, Tomato and Cucumber garnish, This unfortunately was not one of them.
For Main Course my wife had Prawn Dansak and I chose the Mixed Kebab we also had a garlic and cheese Naan and a pilau rice to accompany the dishes.
The Prawn Dansak again was Run of the mill nothing too exciting, And after taking a bite of the lamb from my mixed kebab I was soon disappointed with my choice the meat was Tough and again not much skill shown on the flavour front it was just heat, I struggled to eat half. The Cheese and Garlic Naan However was (when you got some cheese in your Mouthful) talk out loud nice it was amazing it's just a shame the rest of the meal was not up to the same standards. After Having my mouth assassinated by heat i decided to have some Vanilla ice cream to clean my palate, This was lovely and i enjoyed every mouthful.
The service was again okay but that was the whole dining experience just okay, I feel the Motiraj is living off its long standing reputation as being one of, if not the best restaurant in Sunderland, Maybe the day of my visit was an off day or the Head Chef was on his/her day off. Unfortunately it was so underwhelming i would not go back and give it a 2nd chance.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
“Amazing food, every time.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is my absolute favourite Indian restaurant. I have never been disappointed. Great food everytime and service is always great. Never have to wait long for a table even if you haven't booked. Staff are willing to make curries to particular taste. The food is good value particularly on Thursday and Sundays on the special offers. Would recommend to anyone.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Just simply excellent yet again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I've written a few reviews about Moti Raj and again i feel I have to write again just to confirm how excellent this place is. Went out last night (Thursday) with a few mates from work and the place was absolutely heaving, however this did not detract from excellent service as the waiters were prompt and efficient. We were a party of 8 and every single one of us commented on just how tasty the food was, I plumped for the Tandoori chicken bhuna masala and it was delicious, every mouthful a taste sensation of aromatic spicy chicken. Everything about the meal, the rice, the naan bread the mixed kebab starter was just perfect. This is THE place to go for a curry in Sunderland! Sunderland has a lot of good curry houses, Bengal Dream, Cafe Spice but this is the number 1.