“Couldn't fault the Mayfield!”

Mayfield Guesthouse
Ranked #4 of 16 Sunderland B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 17, 2011

The Mayfield is a small guest house just two minutes walk from the beach at Seaburn. I don't normally stay in guest houses, but I couldn't fault this place at all. The room I stayed in was a twin room with an en-suite bathroom. Both rooms were spotless. The bed (I only used one) was very comfortable, and there was a nice modern flatscreen TV with a huge host of channels. The bathroom had both a bath and a shower mounted above it, and was clean and well-appointed. Breakfast was included in the price and was absolutely delicious, and service was both polite and discreet.
I was staying here as I was visiting Sunderland. Seaburn is only a couple of stops on the metro, or a short bus / taxi / car journey. Seaburn itself is at the end of the C2C route, and the beach is beautfully clean. There's probably not that much to do in Seaburn itself once you've walked up and down the seafront and watched the sea a bit, but it's a perfectly good base to explore the region from, and the Mayfield has it's own parking.
I paid £35 per night here. It's worth pointing out that you will often pay more than this to stay at the frankly disgusting and worn-out Travelodge in central Sunderland, and way more for the Seaburn Marriott which is also showing it's age (I've stayed in both). I'm a frequent traveller to Sunderland, and I know where I'll be staying next time I'm back there.

Room Tip: Ground floor room #1 has bath and shower en-suite.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank NotOnTwitter

Reviewed August 15, 2011

This was a great experience and value for money. The breakfast is good. The suite was like stepping back in time in a good way. the owners and staff were some of the most helpful and friendly people I had ever come across. I shared a beer (one i normally would not share!) with the boss as I liked his company a fair amount. The breadth of customer also made it a pretty interesting place to stay. For the price this is the best place I have stayed in a decade. I had authentic uk ales and food close by. even ducked off to edinburgh one day. Perfect for a 4 to 7 day stay. 12 out 10 here for the authentic experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Enjoyed a weekend at the mayfield. Rooms are clean and tidy and a good breakfast is served. Proprietors could not be more helpful.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2011

Just back from a 2 day break at the Mayfield and was very happy with our stay there we had a room over looking the green and sea ,our host Vince was very welcoming and friendly.
The full english breakfast was plentiful and set you up for the day though there was a choice of cereals etc if you wanted that.
Overall the Mayfield is good value for money and we would stay there again when in the area.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2011

Right on the seafront at Seaburn just outside Sunderland. Good parking, easy access (10 mins) to the Metro so you can get all up and down the Northeast by Metro, bus or train.

Very clean and comfortable, excellent breakfasts, wi-fi, all mod cons.
Highly recommended.
Great value

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Stayed for 3 mights while visiting relatives in the area. A very pleasant B&B, excellent value for money, friendly hosts. No parking problems. Good breakfast, and it made a pleasant change not to have to decide the night before what we wanted next morning! Our room was a good size, lovely and warm, bed comfortable, lots of storage space. Everything very clean. A few minor niggles: could have done with more or bigger towels, not really adequate for two not very slim adults; WiFi wasn't free; TV had only basic channels, no freeview, no teletext, and not easy to watch from the bed, being low down. But we enjoyed our stay, despite pretty awful weather, and will be back!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
mayfieldguesthouse, Owner at Mayfield Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2011

As the owner I would just like to respond and say that wifi connection is free and we are intending to but flat screen free view TVs in all the rooms asap(currently 4 out of 10 rooms have them).
Anyone requiring extra towels would be provided with as many as desired.

Thanks for the comments though.
Vince Richardson

Reviewed August 17, 2010

I stayed at the Mayfield for 3 nights during a Sealed Knot Muster at Hylton Castle where we were re-enacting a 17th Century battle. I was greeted at the door by Vince who carried my case to my room for me and showed me everything I needed to have explained about the room and amenities within it. Breakfast the first morning was cooked to perfection and hearty enough for anyone. I loved my stay in the four poster, sea-view room and would recommend this B&B to anyone looking for a homely atmosphere. Not everything is ultra modern but certainly sufficient for my purposes and I intend to stay again should we every be in the area again, which is highly possible - thank you Vince!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo