“An unexpected treat!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Olive Affaire
Ranked #17 of 417 Restaurants in Sunderland
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: We are an authentic Greek family run business, we provide a selection of Greek dishes, wines and beers and a great atmosphere. We are a Cafe Bistro Restaurant and provide good home cooked food at a very reasonable price. We also cater for weddings, business lunches, and other such occasions. You won't leave hungry. We do ask for your patience while waiting for your food as everything is cooked from fresh and we are proud of our quality and authenticity.
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
“An unexpected treat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

I can only echo the positive comments made about this restaurant. While I was somewhat surprised by the decor, comparisons to a cafe are not unfounded, the quality of the food more than made up for it.

My friend and I went for a pre-theatre meal. We both opted for the meze and from the warm pitta bread served with the worlds most delicious tzatziki to the stifado we were hard pressed to pick a favourite dish.

This restaurant is truly a hidden gem. I'm already planning a return visit when I go to see The Lion King.

Visited July 2014
4 Thank captainamnesia2016
Jean O, Owner at Olive Affaire, responded to this review, April 7, 2015
I would like to thank you on behalf of myself and all the staff at Olive Affaire for your wonderful review and hope that we can always satisfy your demands and make your experience memorable.

Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
“This place is a gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

I've had lunch here a couple of times and it's my favourite place to go for a meal that is freshly cooked and full of flavour. The restaurant is a family business and the staff are really lovely, the food is excellent and the prices are very reasonable. I also like the fact that it hasn't got a bar, as such, so the place is nice and quiet for when you are having a chat as you eat. Drinks are available at the table though.

Do yourself a favour and give this lovely place a visit.

3 Thank Cobblecat
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Really enjoyed recommend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

I have driven past this restaurant on many occasions and have always been tempted to go in. I decided to go one evening with my wife and I have to say it's a little gem of a place. My wife and I had lived and worked in Greece for many years and found the food here to be authentic and tasty. It took a while for the food to come and the main came out before we finished the starter, this isn't a grumble but is just the sort of thing that would happen in Greece so just added to the authenticity of it. The staff and owner were very friendly we will be back and soon I hope :)

3 Thank Thebigdub
Sunderland
“Hopefully more than just a lunchtime haunt”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

We visited on a lunchtime after recommendations from freinds. What a splendid place. From the street it looks quite small, but inside it has a generous amount of space. Lunch menu was well priced (wraps for about £3 something more substantial for £6). Our wraps were delicious, hummous was excellent, spinach pie was lovely. Very friendly and attentive staff.

Look forward to going back. Would like to try some of the mains, and the fact its on just eat means takeout just got more interesting.

Only downside for some might be the stairs (especially if you have a buggy) - take a friend to give you a hand.

3 Thank andymwood
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Well worth a detour to Sunderland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

Go to this restaurant! Go right now. What a little culnary gem hidden in the sleepy streets of Sunderland's business district. The word authentic is bandied around a lot in the resto business; however, Olive Affaire totally deserves the label. A mother and son team (with many years of living and cooking in Greece between them) have brought the very best of home cooking to the lucky people of Sunderland. Moussaka to die for (no sloppy, tomatoey excuse of a dish here...slabs of tender meat crowned with silky bay infused bechamel); baked feta begging to be scooped up by the specialy-imported pittas; baba ganoush like you've never had before (secret is in the flame grilled aubergines aparently, but I think there's more to it than that...).

And, in a place which doubles as a sarni-bar to die for during the day (imagine, souvlaki wiped off its skewer into warm pittas on a wet Wednesday lunchtime) we had some of the best Greek wine I've ever come across...if in fact I have ever come across Greek wine. Just 11% alcohol...this is hangover-friendly stuff when you want to drink and chat into the night.

This little place should be in my town, Harrogate. It would wipe the floor with the competition. Oh, and four people can eat, drink and be very merry for an astoundingly reasonable sum.

Well done Olive Affaire from the four girls on their college reuinion. It won't be another 30 years 'til we're back.

• Visited June 2014