“My stay at the roker hotel”

Best Western Roker Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Sunderland
“My stay at the roker hotel”
Reviewed January 26, 2011

I stay at the hotel in january when I arrived at the hotel I had a very warm greeting by the receptionist. I went up to my room it was very spacious and clean I booked in to the Thai china restaurant and the food was fantastic and great service. Will defiantly go back

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank Charliehughes252

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 13, 2010

Recently visited for a xmas party including overnight stay. excellent value for money at £60 per person which included a 3 course meal, overnight stay including breakfast and drinks included in the price up until 11pm. The hotel itself is clean the room was adequate nicely decorated slight problem with no hot water but this didnt matter as we were ready for the night anyway and the water was very hot the next morning. Rooms equipped with and iron and hairdryer which is always useful and tea and coffee making facilities. All in all a very enjoyable evening. The only downside were the queues at the bar, but with free drinks I wouldnt have expected anything else. WIll definately go back.

• Stayed December 2010
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2010

Underneath the bedroom was a disco-bar. The bedroom throbbed and pulsed to the bass from the DJ. This disco bar was more than half empty and it was one of those stupid amateur DJs, who pumps up the volume when the crowd departs in boredom. First I was told there were no other rooms, then after a long weary wait I was brought to an attic room in their annex, fifty yards down the wind-swept sea-front. I slept there like a baby, but next day was shivering - there'd been no heating in this annex. The night porter who escored me to the annex was kind and civil - the rest of the staff were disgraceful, and the day manager sneered at me when I was bringing back the keys. Breakfast includes fried leather calling itself bacon, and cinders which may once have been black pudding. In my haste to get away I left a shirt behind. I've written twice to a general manager, Tracey, and after more than a week haven't had the minimal courtesy of an acknowledgment,, not to talk of a reply.
This was once a quaint hotel, its oddities redeemed by friendly and helpful staff. Now the staff appear to be all in hiding. Since it was taken over by Best Western, its prices are pretentious and its service a disgrace. There are pleasant guest houses in the same terrace of half the price, and there's an upmarket Marriot down the road. No one in their right mind should bother with the Roker anymore.
I'd suppose the terrible disco bar is evidence the place is financially strapped and has an ignorant management which doesn't know where to turn - whether to be a third-rate nightclub or a second-rate hotel. Awful!

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank wilcza

Travelers are raving about these Sunderland hotels

northampton
Reviewed November 20, 2010

Its not an attractivelooking hotel from the outside, it looks like its an amalgamation of a number of houses that have been aquired and knocked through. Saying that the hotel has a lot going for it.

The staff and the recption were welcoming friendly and efficient. i,ve now stayed here twice and both times the rooms were clean and well decorated with modern furniture and attractive fittings. Flat screen tv with seperate didgi box. A welcome tray with biscuits and plenty of drink sachets. A warning the hot water is extremely hot and could even be dangerouse, becareful in the shower. The hotel would do well to put up notices.

I've eaten now in both restaraunts an italian in the basement . Good selection on the menu and well cooked and attractive surroundings they had a special deal for early evenings that virtually halved the price on the menu.
I Tried the tavistock oriental restaruant this time the food was well cooked and tasty . Would highly recommend the jungle curry a tai curry which was extremely hot but full of flavour . The staff in the restaraunt should have been more attentive but the place was busy and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselevs.
My colleauge did suffer from noisy guests in the corridor during the early hours my tip always take some ear plugs never fails . Breakfast help yourself servery with a fantastic view weather permitting of the sea ...
will go back if in the area.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2010

I arrived at this hotel just as it was getting dark so didn't see much of the view but it was right on the seafront so location-wise seemed a good bet if you want to be right on the coast. The car park looked fairly big but quite busy, not a problem for me as I arrived by taxi as the metro station is too far a walk.

I entered the hotel and my check in was dealt with in a friendly and efficient manner. I was advised to take the lift as I had a case with me. On leaving the lift it was still not an easy journey to my room along a rabbit warren of corridors and steps. There was a faint unpleasant odour as well.

On entering my room not only did the smell get stronger (I think perhaps it used to be a smoking room and they've tried to mask it with some kind of air freshener?) but it was like stepping into an oven! I took a look around my small and slightly odd room (113). Three steps led down to my bathroom, on entering this I discovered it was equally as hot, so much so that the bath was actually very warm to touch.

I had been booked a single room and the bed was a very dilapidated divan that they had tried to spruce up with more modern bedding. However on sitting on it it did not feel all that sturdy and the mattress was rather lumpy. The carpet also looked somewhat questionable in terms of cleanliness - more because it was rather old than because an effort hadn't been made.

Thinking I had been unlucky I asked to swap rooms and this was dealt with quickly and efficiently without any fuss. My next room however was little better. It was still incredible hot, what initially looked like a large double bed was actually two more of the old single divans pushed together and again the carpet definitely could do with replacing. I don't know why this hotel is so hot, I tried opening the windows but to no effect and woke up a number of times during the night due to the heat.

As it was a Monday night the Thai restaurant was closed, which was a shame as I would have liked to have tried it out as the taxi driver mentioned it being good. Instead I went to the hotel's Italian restaurant. I found it very strange to have to go out the front door and back into the restaurant that was also underground. Again the staff were friendly and efficient but didn't have a lot to work with. I was not too hungry so chose some sole goujons with a side salad; the batter was very soggy but the sole itself was nice.

On check-out the following morning the hotel tried charging me for the room, which had been arranged to be paid for by the company who booked it for me, but the Receptionist dealt problem with this quickly along with the ordering of my taxi.

The only good points about this hotel are the location and the staff, everything else was pretty poor and I would never go back and it has seriously damaged any credibility Best Western had in my mind.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank alliei80
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Spent one night here, the room had all the things I like, loads of pillows and towels. We were very comfortable and I would definitely stay again. The receptionist was vey helpful, I had been worried by the reviews and possibly weekend stays are noisy because of bar noise, we stayed on a monday night and it was the best nights sleep I had had in ages, the Italian restaurant next door is not to be missed, superb.

• Stayed August 2010
manchester
Reviewed August 21, 2010

I recently had a weeks stay at the Roker whilst in Sunderland on business. After reading some of the reviews on here i was dreading it but it is no where near as bad as some suggest If your just there to sleep the rooms are adequate though it is near impossible to shower without creating a flood in the bathroom and its unusual to find the tea and coffee tray in the wardrobe! I had a room which doubled as the fire escape which was bit unnerving and as it was on the top floor a little warm but because of the fire escape i couldnt leave the window open whilst out.. The hotel is in a good location with good views from the terrace and the food in the bar is fine. The hotels biggest plus point is the onsite italian restaurant which serves excellant food with a massive choice

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business