“Felt as though I was a million miles away at a bargin price!!”

BEST WESTERN Roker Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Sunderland
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“Felt as though I was a million miles away at a bargin price!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend got notified of a deal at this hotel last minute.(.An overnight stay including 3 course meal & breakfast) £50 per couple!!!how could you refuse that..we arrived on a Sunday but we was UN aware of a marathon that was taken place all through the streets of Sunderland,hmm not a great start as we had to sit for over 40mins waiting in the car on the outskirts of town until the roads reopened!!maybe at the time of booking the receptionist should have made us aware not to drive n check in after the run had finished,so please check yourself if any hold ups.anyways just an error,on arriving,ample private parking,reception small but very nice to the eye.room was at end of a corridor,nice smells on the stairs,again decor very nice!!our room was on the small side with view behind a netted curtain was of a rooftop and brick building,but for the bargin we got I wasn't to complain,we not in the room long enough,next I would upgrade though to seaview slightly larger room.the room was spotless,bright,very modern,bathroom lovely,laminate floor,small desk,wardrobe,bedside cabinets,plenty mirrors,small plasma tv on wall,iron board,iron,tea n coffee facilities,nice fresh fluffy towels!!ideal room for quick get away or business trip but like I said id prefer to pay the upgrade.the hotel is joined to a tavistock,food and drinks.we walked in and we was most pleasantly surprised,the decor was up to date,cosy,very big,nice cocktails,views across the road of roker beach and pier!!we booked our table for downstairs Italian restaurant 8pm.and wow!!it is beautiful!!it was like stepping back in time very new very swish,very special,food wine,music the service cudnt fault it!definitely return.next day we had breakfast help yourself to cereals,juice,toast,pastries,waitress serves you full English,tea and coffees,every pleasant.it was very quiet so quick service.checked out and cudnt leave without walking along the pier got fresh air!!I would definitely recommend this hotel and restaurants to anyone visiting.great location.

• Stayed April 2013
KEITH D, Director at BEST WESTERN Roker Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review, I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and felt that you were a million miles away!

The roads to the front of the hotel should have reropened at 1.30pm and we were informed by the organisers that access would be given to guests of the hotel should they have requested this, I apologise on their behalf that this did not happen.

I will certainly pass your kind comments to the staff who looked after you during your stay.

Once again a huge thank you for your review and custom and we look forwarding to welcoming you to the hotel again in the near future.

Tavistock Leisure Ltd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed for one night (Sun) on special deal the hotel often have at quiet times.
Can't fault the location...right on the sea front with views out to Roker pier.
The front of the hotel could have done with a lick of paint but once inside it looks more than presentable.
The room was ok I guess, basic, at the end of a corridor with no view as such, although we were'nt expecting too much as we were told we could'nt have a sea view room on the 3 course Dinner / B&B deal. If we were to go again I would certainly upgrade to a sea view room.
The evening meal from the set menu in the hotels Italian restaurant was lovely in nice surroundings as was the breakfast.
Overall a most enjoyable stay.
I would just like to point out however, our break didnt exactly get off to the best start. We booked the room over the phone midweek to arrive Sunday....the receptionist failed to tell us that there was a marathon that day and the sea front roads were closed ! Ended up hanging around a side street for an hour or so until they reopened at about 5pm. !

Room Tip: Sea view or forget it
Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review, I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and found the break to be very good value for money.

I am delighted to inform you that the front of the building has been fully painted and now looks amazing!

Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

As another reviewer (Phil B) remarks, the hot water pipes pipes run along the inside of the room, and although the heating was off, the room was stifling as it was the hottest day of the year (First May Bank Holiday Monday)
We were in 112, and the room was more than adequate, and the bathroom twice the size it needed to be. If only hotels would man-up and explain that certain rooms have disadvantages (I know, I know, they are not going to do that or no one would stay!) The hot water was dangerously hot, with a serious scalding risk here, something the hotel need to address. A child could be scarred for life as the water pressure is ridiculously high.
As it was a weekday when we checked out, breakfast was 'cooked to order'
It wasn't really, it was served to order. The plate was hotter than the food. All the items had clearly been cooked some minutes, if not hours before and kept warm, just.
Beats me why hotels cannot get this right, it is an integral part of anyones stay and should be right.
It is not exactly culinary wizardry to put a fresh egg, a sausage, a tomato, a hash brown and a spoonful of beans and musrooms on a plate now is it??
Adequate, but disappointing.

Room Tip: Depending on time of year, ask when booking about the hot water pipes, it makes all the difference.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am sorry to read that you found your room too hot. A small minority rooms do have hot water pipes running through them, however I am pleased to write that we are in the process of reducing the heat in these rooms by covering the pipes to stop any excessive heat.

I thank you for your review as such feedback allows us to constantly review our product and service we offer to our past and future guests.

Once again a huge thank you for your custom and understanding and we look forward to welcoming you again at our hotel.

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

Two night stay, room was nice with a sea view and nice to have a bath in the room too. Bed was comfy and not too noisy outside at night. Breakfast was enjoyable and cooked to order.

Service was excellent and could not fault my stay in any way. The Italian restaurant is well worth a visit as well. I did not use the hotel bar at all socan't comment on the food in there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
KEITH D, Director at BEST WESTERN Roker Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay at our hotel.

I will pass all of your kind comments to all of staff involved.

Once again a huge thank you for your custom and review and we look forward to seeing you when you visit the area again.

Keighley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed one night at best western staff very friendly, hotel clean and welcoming, will certainly be visiting again, bar and restaurant very good value for money. Lovely location, breakfast was excellent, everything you could possibly want from a full English to continental, thoroughly enjoyed our stay

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
KEITH D, Director at BEST WESTERN Roker Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel.

I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable experience and found our hotel to be clean, our staff very friendly, our food to be good value and our breakfast plentiful and good quality.

I will pass your comments to the all staff involved and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Whitchurch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

The Roker Hotel; great views, if you like looking out onto featureless sea. Fantastic staff, dealt very well with an incorrectly made booking & sorted it out well.

Room 30 though was hell, literally. There appear to be heating pipes running around the skirting of the room & even though everything was switched off, the room was boiling. Thre wasn't anything which seemed to be able to be done, so I had to stay the night with the window wide open.

Had I been staying longer I would have had to move.

The adjoining Italian restaurant is brilliant.

Room Tip: Don't have room 30 unless it's been fixed or you like sleeping in a sauna.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am sorry to learn that you found the room to be too hot. I have highlighted all of your concerns with the management team to ensure we limit the the temperature where possible.

I will pass your comments to the Italian staff who will be pleased to learn that you enjoyed your dining experience.

Customer feedback is essential and I thank you for taking the time to bring this to my attention so we can ensure the issues are resolved for yourself and future guests.

Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

love everything about this hotel and this was our second stay ............... the staff are amazing and went to great lengths to ensure everything was just right for us, starting with Ian on the reception desk who changed our room for us, to the one we had stayed in before, sea view with an amazing bed and bath ( for two ) arranged flowers to be delivered for my Birthday fantastic....The R Bar is great for very good food and drinks all very reasonable, staff are great as was the service, breakfast was a mix of buffet and table service and a wide variety of choice, had a meal in the Italian Restaurant for my Birthday excellent all round service and food.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joeehns58
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel.

I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable second stay with us.

I will pass your kind comments to all staff involved who ensured you had such an enjoyable visit throughout all aspects of our hotel from reception, rooms, bars and restaurant.

Once again a huge thanks for your review and custom and we look forward to welcoming you to our hotel for your third visit.

Keith Donkin
Tavistock Leisure Ltd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunderland
Sunderland Marriott Hotel
Premier Inn Sunderland North West Hotel
Quality Hotel Boldon
Quality Hotel Boldon
#1 of 1 in West Boldon

Been to BEST WESTERN Roker Hotel? Share your experiences!