“cosy, clean and friendly cafe”

Serendipity Tea & Trinkets
Ranked #2 of 21 Coffee & Tea in Sunderland
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Serendipity is a vintage style tea room serving delicious home made food, soups, scones and cakes made on the premises, unique blends of tea, Serving afternoon tea to a gold standard on vintage china, outside caterers, also hosts parties, events and crafts. Baby change facilities available and family friendly
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I was delighted to come across this litte cafe the other day. I'd just been shopping and needed to take the weight off the feet and popped into this lovely litte cafe. It smelled of fresh baking and the wooden floors looked beautiful. I was served promptly and politely. I drank a 'Mint Mackem' which was very refreshing. I wasn't initially going to have anything to eat but after seeing the massive guiness chocolate cake i had to have a slice. It was moist and had a lovely white topping which was sour cream based I was told by the staff. All in all it was so cosy I stayed a lot longer than I anticipated and to be honest I will be heading there whenever I visit the town centre again. Charming!!!

Dotty J, Owner at Serendipity Tea & Trinkets, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Thank you so much for your very kind review, I am so glad that you found our surroundings relaxing and enjoyable - We look forward to you visiting again - Cheers June :) x

Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Visited on saturday with a group for one of the partys birthday. The rest of the group were having afternoon tea (which had been booked) and while this was being prepared I asked if I could just order a sandwich (as I wasnt part of the afternoon tea order) to come out with their tea (Im not a big cake eater). I was told, rather rudely in my opinion, by the man that I couldnt have a sandwich (even though there were menus on our table) as there was nothing left and he had assumed we were all having tea! This was at 2.30 in the afternoon! Having been told this, I agreed to have the afternoon tea. About 30minutes later another customer came in and sat at a table near ours and ordered and received a sandwich.
The cakes we received were nice and the sandwiches were average. We also had champagne. I was not offered a pot of tea, which you would imagine would be part of 'afternoon tea'. The others who had arrived earlier than myself did have tea.
Overall I found this place ok but left feeling stunned when it cost me £25!!! (The bill was shared between the group and the birthday girls was shared between the rest of us). £25! I only went for a sandwich! To be fair, the lady did give us all a takeaway box to take home the leftovers.
The birthday girl left happy which is all that really matters. The staff were all very nice, apart from the rude bloke.

I am really sorry that you found your experience at Serendipity unsatisfactory.I definitely feel there may have been some communication problems around the booking. 10 Afternoon tea places had been booked and confirmed a few days before and on the day we were told by the organisers that unfortunately only 9 would be attending for afternoon tea, 9 people in the party turned up including you.
I dispute that a member of our staff was rude to you as I witnessed the discussion myself, I think he may have been a bit confused as why someone was trying to order from the menu when the tables were set and booked for afternoon tea. The reason that the menus were on the table was for everyone to choose which speciality tea they would like with the afternoon tea. If you had explained to us that you would have preferred not to have afternoon tea we could have come to some arrangement, however in fairness this was not explained to us, we were led to believe you were all there for afternoon tea.
Your party table was constantly topped up with refills of tea, coffee and cold drinks free of charge, if you had asked us you could have had tea, coffee or cold drinks at any time.
You have complained about the price so I am a little confused as to why after seeming to be so opposed to having afternoon tea you then decided to have champagne afternoon tea - you must have surely known this would incur an extra cost! champagne afternoon tea comes with 2 glasses of champagne therefore £25 is very reasonable.
As you said the birthday girl had a good time which I am more than happy about and she has been in since to thank us for a lovely day.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

This tea shop came highly recommended so had high hopes but have to say my experience was only average. Decor is lovely and place is spotless and interesting as everyone has commented. Menu is extensive. Coffee was one of the best I've tasted. However by 1.30 pm they had little choice of bread. I had 'An Italian Job' but they had run out of Mozzerella so had cheddar instead. The bread was nothing special and thought £4 for a cheese & tomato sandwich was a bit steep so unfortunately a bit disappointed and wouldn't hurry back.

1  Thank happyholidaymaker48

Hi - I am really sorry that your experience at Serendipity was average, its certainly not the description we strive for! however I am glad you mentioned the positives that you appreciated the coffee and the nice surroundings.
On the day you visited we had a particularly busy day, its always difficult as a business owner to predict the level of customers that will visit on any given day, we had however envisaged a busy day therefore ordered more stock than usual including bread.
On a regular day we have a choice of 6 types of artisan rolls as well as 2 types of sliced bread, muffins and bagels, by the time you arrived on that day we still had a choice of 4 types of roll as well as 2 types of sliced bread so although we didn't have the full range available, there was still a good choice.
Occasionally we have a rush on particular sandwiches, that day for some reason mozzarella cheese seemed to be popular, we always have plenty in stock and on this day we used 300% more than we normally do, this is something we definitely cant predict! however as you mentioned our menu is extensive and we did have a choice of another 15 types of sandwich, jacket potatoes, soups and a brunch menu, so you could have chosen something else.
Our prices reflect the quality of our ingredients, artisan baked rolls, buffalo mozzarella etc., plus our sandwiches are served with a generous salad - you also have to consider that we provide full waiter service in great surroundings with excellent facilities for a tea room. but thank you for your feedback we do always take seriously peoples constructive opinions and views on board to learn and improve regards June

Reviewed March 27, 2013

This fabulous tea room is one of my favourite places to visit in Sunderland, the chic decor makes serendipity unique to the area. This is was our second visit to serendipity and again we received another warm welcome from the staff who are friendly and made sure all our requested were seen too in a very timely manner.

With a great selection of food, coffee, teas and hot chocolate we spent a good ten minutes making our minds up. Ordering two coffee and a tea which was served in a tea pot and a chain cup (which I loved, even though I had not ordered it). We all ended up ordering sandwiches, all made to order with a great selection of bread to choose from when they arrived they were delicious and a great portion size.

Keep up the great work serendipity, we are planning our next visiting already.

Dotty J, Owner at Serendipity Tea & Trinkets, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Hi Terri, Thank you for taking the time to review us, its always appreciated, like the photos too :) So glad you enjoy what we do - thanks again we look forward to your next visit cheers June x

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I enjoyed a nice afternoon here. The choice of tea and the taste was lovely...a colourful and relaxed place to visit

Thanks for the review, so glad you enjoyed your afternoon tea, we look forward to you visiting again - cheers June x