“Tasty”

Spice Empire
Ranked #45 of 444 Restaurants in Sunderland
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: used to be the old Amalfi
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Visited the restaurant on a quiet Tuesday night and the food was very good and delicious! My friend and I ordered chicken tikka specials and were promised that the two dishes would be very different in taste to one another. That promise delivered as the two main courses had the same main ingredient - marinated chicken tikka but were cooked differently. The let downs were the portion of rice was small and the peshwari naan had gritty bits in it.

Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

Visited in June 2013. The restaurant is nicely set out, the staff are very welcoming & friendly. The prices are reasonable but they often have special offers on. The food is just gorgeous, we all ordered 2 courses each plus popdoms & pickles, they wasn't a thing left. In a great location to have a meal before or after going for a night out

Reviewed November 9, 2013

This was a truly awful experience. the portion sizes were very small, particularly the rice. the food was terrible and our orders were mixed up twice.

I had wine knocked over me by the waitress who did apologise, but when the manager came over, he seemed really uninterested.

After being absolutely drenched and spending 20 mins in the toilet drying myself off, we were offered a free lemonade, bearing in mind tht our bill was £40, and my clothes were soaking it left a really bad taste in my mouth.

That aside, im sorry but i really dont have a good thing to say about thus restautant. Food, service, price and atmosphere was all very much substandard. if this review hasnt put you off and you decide to go, stay clear of the house wine, im no coniseur but it was disgusting.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We went as a foursome to this very pleasant Indian restaurant and although my husband opted for English(foolish man) the rest of us shared some delicious starters and main Indian meals. Really love a taste of everything! We were greeted with a glass of wine but as a non drinker I enjoyed a large soft drink -all part of the deal! We were served by pleasant waiters and the food was delicious.We will certainly return there again and recommend it to family and friends.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Bought a living social deal for here and was very impressed with the food. We ordered poppadoms and pickles for an appetiser, which they forgot to order. We had ordered these to nibble on whilst waiting for the starter but the starter arrived very quickly. Onion bhajis were the best i have ever tasted. Hubby got mixed kebab which was also very nice. We then ordered chicken dhansak, which was quite hot and spicy compared to other dhansaks, but very nice. I ordered chicken tikka masalla which was absolutely delicious. the chicken was very nice in both currys. we had a side order of one fried rice between us as we just like to enjoy the curry with not much rice and we had some poppadoms which were very nice and tasty. Really enjoyed the meal and the service was very good. Will definitely return for one of the special 5 course meals for 8.95 on a sunday or thursday.