“Sunderland by the Sea!! Better than any Travelodge/Premier Inn!!”

Sunderland Marriott Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Sunderland
Reviewed October 5, 2009

Stayed at the Marriott for a couple of nights for a wedding party and must say it was well worth the money we spent, which was only a little more than a Premier or Travelodge night. The Hotel is right on the sea front next to a good fish and chip shop and only 10 Minutes from the town centre.

The rooms are light and airy and the beds as always are well comfortable.

Try and haggle for a good room rste and get breakfat included because thst is massive and well filling in the morning.

Oveall a great stay and relaxing weekend.
Steve

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 19, 2009

Don't be put off, this hotel is not in central Sunderland, but on the seafront at Seaburn, a long stretch of beautifully sandy beach in Northern England, a haven for joggers and walkers and far less commercialised than most (though it does have a Morrisons!)

The hotel itself is typically Marriott, fabulous comfortable rooms with every amenity (I would recommend an upgrade to a seaview room if you can, well worth it), gorgeous pool (Roman design and warm), Jacuzzi, Steam Room, Sauna, and medium-sized gym, quality food and friendly, efficient staff. It also benefits from free on-site parking.

Great base due to excellent road, rail (metro) and bus links to Newcastle and other towns on the fantastic coastline including South Shields (great parks, free gigs in Summer, cheap and cheerful pleasure beach, and excellent curries), Tynemouth (Castle, views etc) and Whitley Bay (shops/pubs).

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2009

We booked a superior room, and it was large and very comfortable. Marriott pride themselves on their feather bedding which is supposed to be hypoallergenic but we got the sniffles, asked for foam bedding and it was changed in 30mins which we consider excellent. One of us has an unusual food allergy, the kitchen coped for dinner, but we were most impressed by a breakfast waitress who we had never seen before who knew about it and suggested solutions which the chef quickly prepared. Probably a note on a computerised database but it put us in a very good mood since allergies often have to be explained at every meal to ever changing staff. Sunderland sea-front is a surprisingly attractive place for a short break.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2009

The thing I love about Mariotts are the beds, they are extremely comfortable, that matress duvet thingy - I need to get myself one!

We checked in around 2pm, and were given a room on the first floor - although this involved walking up 1 flight of stairs before walking down a half fight - a rather odd layout. The room we were given was fantastic, large king sized bed, bathroom with bath and separate shower, and a lovely lounge area, 2 TVs, and all the usual things you'd expect.

The leisure facilities are good, steam, sauna, jacuzzi and pool and we made full use of them, the only annoying thing is that the lockers, you need £1 coin, we didn't take £1 coin with us down from our room.

Breakfast was good (7-11), but the wait needed for eggs was unaccepatble, considering they charge a £15 walk-in fee.

The food that we had (granted it was part of a large wedding group), was rather bland, so I wouldn't eat in the restaurant if I was to visit again.

They advertise this as Sunderland Mariott, but it is not in Sunderland - it is in a village outside Seaburn. If I was to visit Sunderland (not sure why), I'd choose a more central hotel, but for a night away located right on the beach, the Mariott is a good choice.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank UKChris82
Reviewed June 27, 2009

I had to travel up to the North East at short notice, and having enjoyed a wonderful stay at the Marriott late in 2007, I had no hesitation in returning - and once again, it didn't disappoint... as a Marriott Rewards member I was guaranteed a non-smoking room with a king-size bed, and even though I requested an early check in less than 48 hours before arriving, it was honoured with no fuss or hassle.

My room was in the new wing of the hotel which was a bit of a maze to navigate as it involved two lifts and several corridors, but it was well worth the walk... spacious and comfortable with lovely furnishings and an immaculate bathroom, but the crowning glory had to be the bed... I've stayed in hotels belonging to several well-known chains, but as far as bed comfort/quality is concerned, Marriott wins hands-down every time.

Food is still of a very high standard for breakfast - coffee was provided within seconds of me being shown to my table... and even though the hotel didn't appear to be busy, there was a full choice of all types of breakfast provided and when I wanted something which was missing from the servery, the cheerful and attentive waitress on duty was more than happy to bring it to me at my table so I didn't have to wait.

The leisure club facilities (gym, pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi) are still in excellent order - spotlessly clean and well-maintained, and on my visits a staff member was always on duty to assist should (s)he have been needed for anything.

This hotel really is amazing, and I wouldn't even consider loking anywhere else in Sunderland... I look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Probably the best hotel in Sunderland. Have now stayed here on some four occasions and have yet to be disappointed. Friendly reception staff, knowledgeable restaurant staff, good clean rooms and within 50 yards of the sea. Will be going back soon.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2009

The Marriott Sunderland is fantastic value for a trip to Sunderland for the football (or any other reason). We stayed on Easter Saturday for one night. Our room was spacious with a bit of a seaview and a large bathroom for £90, including breakfast and vat. The breakfast was as big as we wanted it to be and delicious. The location on the sea front at Seaburn is fantastic, especially if the sun is shining. The pool and leisure complex are more than adequate for a weekend away. The staff were all fantastically welcoming and charming. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business