“Beautiful views”

Sunderland Marriott Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Sunderland
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I stayed one night whilst on business in the North East. I was really pleased I booked a suite as it had fantastic views out to sea! The suite was airy, light and spacious! I am gluten free and the hotel made me a most delicious omelette and dressed salad. When we arrived at the hotel we were welcomed with a free glass of wine. A very nice touch.

I would highly recommend this hotel and I will return!

Room Tip: Book a suite its well worth it
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

It is great to read your review and thank you for sharing your experience in a forum such as this one. It is always encouraging to receive such feedback and your kind words have been conveyed to the team. Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

I really do love the charm of the location and service that this hotel offers. The rooms are spacious and the staff vey helpful. There is a pool for family r and r which is delightful. And then there is the beach across the road. The food is good and the breakfast ample. Parking can be a bit tight and bar service a little hit and miss but I still think it is worth five stars. Make sure you get a sea view as it is gorgeous.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank PercivalSpratt

Thank you so much for posting your review on Tripadvisor. The hotel is in a wonderful location and I am pleased you love the charm of the location and the service the hotel offers. The team work hard to deliver a great customer service so I am pleased that it was a pleasure for you to stay with us. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

Ideal if you've arrived by car; a decent hike from the centre of town. Seafront location so the elements come into play during the winter months.

From the outside it looks a little tired but the interior is engaging. Decent sized rooms, my colleagues had sea views, I settled for one of the car park.

Breakfast was very good. Local lady serving was very attentive and charming.

Bar was a bit pricey but being so far from the town there isn't a great deal of competition. I didn't use the pool but the gym was well equipped and not too busy when I used it.

I don't see the point of only offering free wifi in communal areas (an hour free each day in your room) I think we are beyond that now and I for one expect free wifi as standard. The only real gripe for me.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and thank you also for your valuable feedback. The hotel is in a great location, located approximately two miles from Sunderland City Centre and overlooking Seaburn Sands and the North Sea. I am pleased you enjoyed your breakfast experience and found the gym to be well equipped for your needs. Work has now started to re-render and re-paint the exterior of the hotel building so this will greatly improve the outside appearance. We do provide free Wifi in our Public areas, however, there is a charge when accessing the Internet in the bedrooms as this is provided by a secure Internet provider. Once again my sincere thanks for posting your review and we hope to see you at the Sunderland Marriott soon.

Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

As a marriott reward member, the family use marriott hotels around the world over any other chain. We have stayed in many, however this particular hotel is A* because of the following

- customer service and attentiveness
- price
- room size
- HOTEL LOCATION

The above 2 points speak for themselves, all Marriott hotels have high customer standards.

The rooms are very different. We've stayed in the 'newer' side in the past, had what can be described as a suite overlooking the car park previously but this time a seaview room. Wow! Size! Wow! Impressive. The only downsides were lack of fridge (as it was so hot when we stayed), no aircon and the flooring in the bathroom needed a bit of work. However for the price... Amazing. Breakfast too- one of the best Marriott breakfasts out there. One of maybe only a few left which have waffles a plenty!!!

Lastly- location. It's RIGHT ON THE BEACH. Ideal for the hottest weekend of the year.

Without doubt, we will be back.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Rjblamires1
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

I am delighted that you and your family have enjoyed an excellent stay again at the Sunderland Marriott and thank you for the great comments. It is always encouraging to receive such feedback as our associates work very hard to deliver the best customer service. We do not offer a mini-bar service in the bedrooms; drinks can be ordered from the hotel’s bar and served to your room. Some of our bedrooms do not have air conditioning but cooling fans are available upon request. I am sorry for the condition of the bathroom floor. We have an on-going maintenance programme in place so this point will be addressed.
Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

This is a hotel in a lovely location, right by the sea. Actually across a road that is by a beach that is right by the sea, but the seaside rooms have a lovely view of the ocean.
The staff is all wonderfully nice...including housekeeping, front desk and the breakfast staff in the restaurant.
The breakfast is very good, well prepared and in a nice room.

The rooms are well appointed. This hotel is apparently the smallest full service Marriott Hotel in the world. It is also apparently the first Marriott hotel in the UK to have the "touch" room access keys, which work very well, incidentally.
Unfortunately, this hotel also earned another distinction, which is being the first Marriott Hotel I've ever checked into in 30 plus years that had a hair in the bathroom. Marriott's decades of "hair free" bathrooms record has been broken by this hotel.

The sea air is wonderful and I was enjoying it fully until just before leaving, when tobacco smoke came into our open window. As I went downstairs, I also smelled a lot of tobacco smoke in the hallways. Upon further investigation, I saw two workmen, with Marriott visitors badges on them that were smoking right outside one of the doorways. They had kept the doorway open so that they could get back in. They apparently didn't care about the fact that where they were causing smoke to go into the hotel both through the door they were keeping open and through the windows since they were smoking under them. They continued to leave the door open when it was brought to their attention, obviously not caring if their habit affected guests and hotel workers. Perhaps all people involved in the hotel in any way should observe the designated smoking area. It continues to amaze me that this is not caught on a regular basis. This hotel has wonderful sea air, a wonderful view, nice staff, and two problems which I hope they fix. Marriott has apparently been "smoke free" for over ten years, you'd think they would have it figured out by now. I do recommend the hotel but sincerely hope that these two issues are resolved in an otherwise perfect stay..

Room Tip: The sea side rooms are nice but be wary that it is the side near the street.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank guy_traveller

Thank you so much for writing your review and for sharing your experience. I am pleased to read your positive comments although disappointed that you encountered the two issues you have mentioned. Marriott do have strict cleaning procedures which we must adhere to, and I sincerely apologise that we did not meet the criteria on this occasion. It is important that we receive feedback as it helps us to maintain and improve the standards we strive to achieve. Thank you also for bringing to our attention the smoking issue which we will address with our on-site contractors. I would be grateful if you could contact me direct at the hotel to discuss the matter further.

Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

I stayed 1 night midweek in a double room bed and breakfast. The standard of the room was fine, superb bathroom good towels and toiletries. Large double wardrobe with free use of a safe, iron plus board, hair dryer. The pool was 15 metres and was fine also spa facilities were good. The breakfast was excellent plenty of choice you really could pig out! Although I personally found the restraunt area too warm, the downsides? 2 really at 5 in the morning they started the kitchen fans and my room 209 was above it, the air con unit was too noisy and needs looking at, had to turn it off. The acid test is this would I stay again if in the area, yes I would but try for a sea view room

Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and I am delighted to read your feedback on the Sunderland Marriott and its facilities. However, I am sorry that you found the restaurant too warm and you also encountered a noise issue in the early morning. I fully appreciate that at the very least your expectation is to have a peaceful night’s sleep so please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. I have passed on your comments to my maintenance supervisor so that an investigation is carried out. On a positive note, I am pleased to read that this would not deter you from staying at the hotel if you are in the area again.
Once again, my sincere thanks for writing your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. The hotel is in a great location right on the sea front. There is free car parking, a gym, swimming pool, sauna, etc. The facilities are really good. The room was clean and comfortable, the bathroom was okay maybe needs modernising a bit. The shower was a bit weak. The check in process was excellent with very friendly staff. The bar a staff were a bit stretched with serving customers at the restaurant as well as the bar, but were equally nice people. Overall I would return, great location, nice clean and comfortable with friendly staff and great facilities, a great stay.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are extra but nicer. Avoid rooms next to the lift or dumb waiter lift they are noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

I really appreciate that you have taken the time to post your review in a forum such as this one and I am very pleased that you found the Sunderland Marriott to be a great hotel with good facilities and in a good location. Our associates do work hard to deliver the best customer experience and I have passed on your kind words to the team. I am sorry that you found the shower to be weak and thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Once again my sincere thanks for your valuable feedback.
Raoul Lemmerling

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunderland
Hilton Garden Inn Sunderland
Premier Inn Sunderland A19/A1231 Hotel
Seaham Hall
Seaham Hall
#1 of 1 in Seaham

Been to Sunderland Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!