“What a great hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Sunderland
Alnwick, United Kingdom
“What a great hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

My friend and I had a weekend break between Christmas and New Year and we could not fault it.It was reasonably priced,clean,really good food,excellent pool and leisure centre and ,as the other reviewers have said,the staff were excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs sea view room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Many thanks for posting your review and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your weekend break at the Sunderland Marriott and that you found the facilities and staff to be excellent. May I take this opportunity to wish you a prosperous New Year.
Raoul Lemmerling

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

Stayed here for a family wedding anniversary. First impression lovely location and very friendly staff at reception. We had a problem with an exploding hairdryer which blew the power out in our room. I must say the staff couldn't do enough to help us move to another room quickly as we were now running late and let us leave our clothes and other things in the room until they could get the power on. I would stay here again as the spa was good and rooms nice and staff very helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
My sincere thanks for taking the time to write your review and for giving us your valuable feedback. Your kind words have been conveyed to the team. However, I am sorry to read of the incident with the hair-dryer but very pleased that the staff were able to move you to another room and rectify the situation quickly.
Once again, thank you for your comments and may I wish you a Happy New Year. I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Sunderland Marriott very soon.
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

We have just returned from a 4 night Christmas break at the Marriott Hotel at Seaburn. We have stayed many times at Marriot Hotels but what makes this hotel different is the warm welcome from the staff and its location. Nothing was too much trouble for each and everyone of them, warm and friendly, they made our Christmas something special. Our room was spacious, spotlessly clean. We overlooked the car park but this mattered not a jot heard no outside noise and slept like logs, also we had not asked for a sea view. The hotel is in a wonderful location, so if you wanted sea views you had only to go for a walk along a really lovely promenade, We enjoyed all our meals especially the christmas dinner which was really wonderful. so will definitely go back in the summer to see them all again.

Room Tip: if you want a seaview just ask.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
I am delighted to read your review and so pleased you enjoyed your Christmas break at the Sunderland Marriott and that we made your Christmas something special. It is always great to receive such feedback and I have passed on your kind words to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the Summer but, in the meantime, I would like to take this opportunity to wish you a very happy New Year.
Grantown-on-Spey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

Our bedroom was spacious, comfortable and clean. Great care had been taken to present the double beds and the bathroom attractively. The view over Seaburn Bay is pleasant and partly explains why artist L S Lowry was such a regular visitor to the hotel. Polite and attentive staff contributed to an enjoyable dinner with some imaginative dishes. Despite the storm raging outside we enjoyed a quiet night's sleep. A full breakfast was not required but toast, croissants, coffee and tea were prepared quickly and reasonably priced. I would not hesitate to stay here again. From the receptionist's welcoming smile to the quick and efficient check out we received first class service.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Brian1953
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
I am thrilled to read your review and so pleased that you would not hesitate to stay with us again. Our staff work extremely hard to ensure we provide the highest level of service and it is always encouraging to receive such positive feedback. L S Lowry was indeed a frequent visitor to the hotel in the 1970’s and some of his seascape paintings were sketched here.
Once again, my sincere thanks for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed here for one night whilst on a business trip.

The reception staff and the gentlement who delivered my room service were very friendly and I was pleased with their service.

The room itself was quite dated (old and scratched furniture, old looking carpet etc). My room overlooked the car park so not a great view but there are rooms that look out to the sea front so worth requesting. When I arrived in my room I noticed right away how hot it was and there were 2 radiatars in the room, the one closest to my bed was piping hot and I turned this off. However after an hour I realised it had not cooled at all and I changed it from the zero temperature down to the * cold symbol but it still remained completely hot. I called down about this but there was nothing they could do until the next day so I had to sleep with the window open which wasnt ideal as I was on my own and the on a high floor. There was no aircon in the room and also no fridge.

I ordered room service - just a sandwich and I was not overly impressed, one slide of bread was quite hard so I left most of it.

I was thankful that I was only there for one night and was leaving the next morning. The staff are far better than the hotel itself!

Room Tip: Request a sea view room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Hotel-Guru-Kat
I am very disappointed that your recent visit to the hotel did not meet your expectations but I really appreciate your feedback in a forum such as this one. Your observations have been brought to the attention of those departments concerned and they will be addressed with the team. I would also like to thank you for bringing to our attention the issue with the radiator. Unfortunately, not all of our rooms have air-conditioning and we do not provide a fridge facility in our bedrooms.
On a positive note, I am happy that you found staff to be friendly and you were pleased with the service they provided.
Stockton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

This weekend my wife and I stayed at the Marriott Sunderland, we paid £109 for a double room, on arriving we found this didn't included breakfast and this would be another £34.

The hotel is on the sea front at Seaburn so we booked a 'room with a view' the view cost about an extra £30.

The room was and a bit tired but OK, the radiators were a bit noisy. The sea view was terrible, the windows didn't look like they had been cleaned in years and were covered in seagull guano; quite revolting. The room was on the top floor but this is no excuse for not washing windows!

Room Tip: Try and get one with a clean window!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank REDJT
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry that you were not happy with some aspects of the hotel and I apologise for any disappointment caused. As part of our rate strategy, we offer a range of rates to our customers which also include room only or bed and breakfast rates, with a best rate guarantee on the www.marriott.com website. The hotel is located by the sea and there are seagulls which occasionally cause unexpected droppings on the hotel’s windows. I can assure you that we do have a regular window cleaning programme in place which helps to alleviate this issue.
Berkshire, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

I arrived at the door of the hotel in pouring rain , and fully expected in a 4* hotel to get help with the unloading and carrying my bags into the hotel. No-one came and I got to do it all myself. At reception I learned that they have no hall porters but can find someone to help if I ask. 4*?

My room was great, spacious and very well-appointed, and the vast majority of the staff I met were smiley and helpful. They've gone to some trouble to achieve this. I can't understand why they proceed to risk it by failing to provide service that should be a given for a 4* hotel ; by charging not just nominally but outrageously if you should want WiFi in your room (£15 a day!) and describing the breakfast OJ as fresh when it sure tasted watery to me. So the own goals drive the rating I'm afraid. Pity

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DavidHBerkshire_UK
My sincere thanks for posting your review and thank you also for your kind words regarding our staff and the room. I am sorry that your arrival experience did not meet your expectation. We do not offer a bell boy service but we do offer help with luggage at check-in. WiFi is free in our Public areas but there is a charge for WiFi in our bedrooms, which is through a secure internet provider. Thank you for bringing to my attention the poor quality of the orange juice and this will be addressed by our food & beverage services manager.
Thank you once again for your valuable feedback.
Raoul Lemmerling
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunderland
Hilton Garden Inn Sunderland
#7 of 11 in Sunderland
Premier Inn Sunderland City Centre
Newcastle Gateshead Marriott Hotel MetroCentre
Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosforth Park
Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosfort...
#29 of 84 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Quality Hotel Boldon
Quality Hotel Boldon
#1 of 1 in West Boldon

Been to Sunderland Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!