“Excellent Hotel - great service, friendly staff and fantastic food”

Sunderland Marriott Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Sunderland
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Have just come back from another lovely stay at the Sunderland Marriott on the seafront at Seaburn.
We love it, we have always had great meals in the restaurant and they are happy to accommodate my diabetes with desserts. We will be back in October.
Meet the Manager Raoul this time round, who was very kind to us on our previous visit. The staff speak highly of him so it tells me it is a great place to work!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Room was clean and comfortable with very good bathroom ,which includes both a bath and shower. The bed was spacious and very comfortable although a charge of £15 per 24 hours for internet is an absolute scandal. You can get free access in public areas but if you wish to work then you pay heavily.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed here for two nights and can truly say the whole experience was faultless.
The room was spotless.the bed really comfy.The pillows well you just sink into them
All of the staff are so polite and helpful.Nothing a bother to any of them.
The breakfast was all fresh and tasty,what more old one ask for.
The views are amazing ,unspoilt sea views,however if you want a room with a view you must ask.
Certainly great value for money, this really is a five star hotel.

Room Tip: Five Star without a doubt
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for the Sunderland airshow and the location was excellent. We stayed in a deluxe room which had a large queen bed and a double sofa bed and still had plenty of room for our 7 year old to play. The food was very good value and good quality overall a super stay

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We booked a Friday and Saturday two night stay in July to celebrate our wedding anniversary, attracted by the "relaxing retreat" description and a recommendation from friends. Unfortunately the stay was anything but relaxing as we were subjected to rowdy behaviour until 1.20am both evenings.
We were allocated a room at the back of the hotel with a view of the car park and the main entrance - this caused the problem, the area outside the main entrance is used as the designated smoking area for evening functions, and there were weddings both days. Large groups gathered outside below our window, probably larger than usual due to the heat wave, and combined with alcohol there was shouting, singing, laughing etc. I rang reception around midnight to explain about the disturbance and was told that nothing could be done as the group had been drinking and the noise would continue until after 1.00am. I asked for my complaint to be passed to the manager the next day but heard nothing.
Other than this our room was spacious and very comfortable. There was no safe or fridge, but an ice bucket was provided and there was an ice dispenser along the corridor. The bathroom was modern and spacious with a bath and separate shower. We enjoyed meals in the restaurant and drinks in the bar and found the staff in both helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the main entrance unless you are a heavy sleeper or attending the wedding...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 13Sandi
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback and I am so sorry to read that you were disturbed on both nights of your stay by noise from other guests, who had gathered outside the main entrance to the hotel. I also apologise that your complaint about the noise was not addressed by a member of my team at the time. I would be grateful if you could contact direct at the hotel on 0191 5292041 to discuss the matter further.
Warmest regards
Raoul Lemmerling

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed two nights recently for a wedding. Our room was good, but was appalled that there was no safe to put my valuables in whilst attending wedding and reception. I had to lock them in the car boot. For a four star hotel not to have a safe to use in the room is well below standard. On arrival we ordered some bar food late evening and my order came with everything that I had NOT ordered i.e. white bread (not brown as asked), pickle (which strictly asked not to put on), tomatoes (which it had not stated). I was very annoyed having just done a five hour journey. I asked for it to be re-done, which it was. I also had to wait half an hour for the first effort which was completely wrong! How long does it take to do a sandwich for a guest!! I was offered a glass of wine in compensation which I accepted, but it did not alter the fact that this was not good enough. Also breakfast in mornings was very poor, the choice was very limited (few cereals to choose from). I have stayed in other Marriot hotels and this one fell way below the standard of others. There was also no mini bar available in the room which I think is unacceptable for four start level. There was only one packet of biscuits for two guests in the room. The hotel is very dated and seems to have been forgotten in the Marriot group. The furnishings were shabby, the bar was very old fashioned, dated and dark. Also in the bathroom we found that the towels were hung way away from the shower cubicle so had to put a towel on the floor to use when stepping out of the shower. A towel rail outside the shower cubicle would be useful. Staff were however very pleasant and polite. All in all we found the Sunderland Marriot to be a poor quality hotel portrayed as Four Star. And please provide room safe for guest's valuables - Very important point. They were there but did not work which is diabolical.

Room Tip: Ask for a front sea view room. Breeze is great when weather is warm and not too noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

My sincere thanks for taking the time to write your review and I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations as a four star hotel. The bedroom safes have been locked down due to a technical problem which is in progress of being fixed. We do offer alternative safety deposit facilities and I am sorry if you were not made aware of this. I do apologise for the inconvenience you were caused when your food order was incorrect and also for your disappointment relating to the poor breakfast offering. Your comments have been conveyed to our Executive Chef who will address them with his team. We do not have mini-bars in our bedrooms, however, we are happy to serve drinks to our guests in their bedrooms, upon request.
I would appreciate it if you could contact me directly at the hotel tel: 0191 5292041.
Warmest regards
Raoul Lemmerling

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Yet again the Marriott seaburn never disappoints. Me and the wife gone to this hotel for many a year,and even with the busy period of the airshow the staff are great even the kids 5 and 10 years wanted to stay another night. Room and view brill .on a lighter note I know it is summer but where was my dressing gown and slippers . Would give this hotel 5 stars all day long.probably if not the best hotel in the northeast. The only downside and I am very sorry is the check in time and yes I know you check out later but 3 o clock check in is to late prob nobody is bothered about the 12 o clock check out time ??????

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunderland
Hilton Garden Inn Sunderland
4 mi away
Quality Hotel Boldon
Quality Hotel Boldon
#1 of 1 in West Boldon

Been to Sunderland Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!