“Sunny Seaburn”

Sunderland Marriott Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Sunderland
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed for two nights over a weekend. Excellent location right on the beach with local restaurants nearby. Lovely morning walk with no wind and bright sunshine. Buffet breakfast was very good with things like porridge and eggs any style provided on request. The staff were very helpful. Very comfortable bed. The smoke sensor above the bed emitted a regular strobe light and we had to block this out with a paper bag. Knocking sound from central heating radiator in room 325 needs to be sorted out. Good pool/jacuzzi/steam room/gym complex.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

It is great to read your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed the beach location. Your kind words have been passed on to my team.
There are smoke sensors in all the bedrooms and, as I am sure you will realise, they are a legal requirement and an important part of our fire safety at the hotel. Thank you for bringing the noisy radiator to our attention.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

After my previous night at the Leeds Marriott I was so relieved to be placed in a non smoking room (all the rooms are now non smoking), the staff were polite, courteous and attentive, the room style is a little jaded, but I felt welcomed, it was clean and a much easier stay.

Room Tip: all rooms appear good
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 8, 2012

As a frequent visitor to Marriott hotels on business we were upgraded with our Gold reward card to a lovely suite with a sea view. This was obviously one of the recently refurbished rooms & we were delighted. We will request it on our next visit.
The hotel was full - there was a conference on & the Aston Villa football team were also staying.
I only ate breakfast in the hotel, which was average. The staff were very pleasant and efficient though.
We will be returning next month.
Glad to see that the lift is now in working order!

Room Tip: Room 324 suite with sea view is lovely & quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have stayed and dined at this Hotel on many occasions, and have never been disapointed with the quality of service and cuisine. J S Lowry the famous Artist tayed her on numerous occasions. The Hotel is located on the doorstop of a splendid beach and at times Bracing walks are experienced Here

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed in this hotel Friday 2nd Nov - Sunday 4th Nov, on a DB&B basis. As we were taking in a show in Newcastle we asked to have our dinner early in the bar on the Friday approx 5.45 pm. We ordered fish and chips for quickness with no starter or sweet. I could not believe what I was seeing when it arrived. A plate of frozen thin american fries with half a piece of fish on top! The price on the menu for this was £ 13.50.
The next morning we sampled breakfast , which to be fair was fine, but later that evening we went down to dinner and had another extremely disappointing experience. We had to upgrade to a la carte because the choice was so poor on the set menu. We ordered 2 chowder soups and 2 steak pies with chips or potatoes extra charge. The soup was vile, we sent it back. The steak pies were actually puddings made from suet which my husband did not eat because he does not like suet. I ordered an apple crumble with ice cream, which I was informed would take 20 mins to prepare. When it finally arrived it was cold and was sitting on a layer of custard which I do not like, so it was not eaten either.
When our bill was made up we had been charged an extra £27.00 for the fish and chips in the bar!!!
The information book in the room states that the restaurant and bar serve AWARD WINNING FOOD.
We stood at the desk on Saturday night for 5 minutes trying to find a manager to complain to.
I cannot believe this hotel is 4 star, It is a great shame because we enjoyed our stay, the room, the hotel itself etc., It is so let down by the food quality.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Margaret R
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am extremely disappointed to read about your poor dining experience at the hotel. Your comments have been discussed with the team. We will be contacting you direct from the hotel to discuss the matter further.
In the meantime, thank you for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Been promising by brother a visit so we can take in a match for months now, so finally got the chance to visit this weekend. The hotel is situated ideally for the football ground and more importantly shopping for my fiancee who whilst me and my brother hit the bar and stadium and light met up with my mum and sister to eye up wedding dresses.
So the first thing i saw of this hotel was the bar, the bar staff were very friendly and one was a fellow mackem which always goes down well and food was cheap and cheerfull had a lovely burger although breakfast was basic.

Room was clean and tidy and somewhat a bargain at £90 for the night in a city center, no free wi fi tho which is unusual this day and age.

Everything was basic but btoo a good standard and service was excellant. Just wish my team could start giving Stephan Fletcher the same service so we can start scoring some goals.

Ate away from the hotel saturday night so unsure about evening dining.

But Thanks for a enjoyable stay, will be back next time visiting family.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights last weekend as part of a college reunion.
I could not fault the hotel in any way, the service was excellent as was the breakfast. To get sky sports in your room is quite unique. BUT why charge an arm and a leg for wi fi?
However the function dinner in the Lowry room was poor and let the hotel down. The chicken was almost inedible. The only good part of the meal was the mixed fish starter. House wine at £20 a bottle is expensive.
If the management can sort out the food then this would be agreat venue for a function. They seeme to be geared for weddings and we felt the poor relation..
Great location and easy access to the city on a bus pass!

Room Tip: Book a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for your writing your comments and I am delighted to read that you could not fault the hotel in any way. Marriott are currently looking to improve their internet service, including Wi-Fi in all bedrooms and faster Internet connection, which will be installed in due course. This will also include one-hour free Wi-Fi in the public areas.
I am disappointed that the main course of your reunion dinner was not up to our usual standard. This was due to a breakdown in communication on our part and a member of my sales team is currently in discussion with the event organiser regarding this matter. On a positive note, I was pleased you enjoyed the fish starter.
I am also sorry that you felt ‘the poor relation’. It is not our intention to treat our customers in this way and I can assure you that we want all our clientele to receive the best customer service on every occasion. Once again, thank you for writing your feedback.
Raoul Lemmerling

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunderland
Hilton Garden Inn Sunderland
Premier Inn Sunderland A19/A1231 Hotel
Seaham Hall
Seaham Hall
#1 of 1 in Seaham

Been to Sunderland Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!