“Yum”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Juniper's Pantry - CLOSED

Juniper's Pantry
Cuisines: Gastropub, British, Delicatessen
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Juniper's at The Cavalier brings you the very best in home-made quality food, using locally sourced produce and providing something a little different in the way of breakfast, lunch and dinner.
“Yum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

Took my dad here for his birthday tea. We got 3 courses for £12 which is pretty decent.
The wide range of unusual dishes on the menu was impressive. I'm usually a very picky person who only eats plain food but the way the dishes were worded sounded so nice I actually tried some new things for once. Didn't regret it as the food tasted lovely and was presented nicely.
The staff we're very friendly and considerate, and regularly made sure all of our food was up to standard.
The atmosphere and the way the place has been presented was welcoming and I liked the 'vintage kitsch' theme throughout.
A good range of fizzy pop in unusual flavours also.

My pot of tea was only luke warm but I'll let them off cos the food was so good.

Newcastle
“Still thinking about the pâté!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

Fantastic meal at Junipers pantry this week. I had chicken liver pâté followed by beef royale and both were outstanding. My companions equally enjoyed their meals including a vegetarian who was pleased by the choice of three starters and three main meals. I'm still thinking about the pâté four days later and am considering going back to see if I can buy some to take away. Would definitely recommend to others.

North East
“over priced and over rated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

Booked in here for a celebration with family and was given a menu which we needed to chose from in advance. As a vegetarian I was disappointed with the two choices neither of which appealed to me. The vegetable curry had parsnips in which I dont like so decided to ring a couple of weeks before to see if they would do something else or the curry without the parsnips. After speaking to a very unhelpful staff member I was told they wouldnt do either despite having a variety of other options on their early bird menu. In the end I chose thd vegetable curry thinking I could pick the parsnips out. Nothing for children so struggled with my son and again asked if they could do mashed potato instead of dauphinoise potatoes which failed to happen. Turned up and found the place extremely cold with an outside toilet as well! I had ordered vegetable soup which turned iut to be carrot and coriander and this came with a slice of stale bread. Hubby orderdd surf and turf starter which was tiny but average. Main course arrived and as suspected due to the fact they wouldnt cook without parsnips seemed to be just warmed up and not freshly cooked and again a small portiin. Hubbys game pie was average and there were no fresh vegetables to accompany the meal just some charred oieces which were very difficult to identify. Sons turkey was ok but no mash or yorkshire pudding just parsnips and carrots and they gravy tasted like if had wine in it which he didnt like. Puddings of apple tart and trifle were average but nothing out of the ordinary. Wanted to complain but didn't want to spoil the evening for the rest of the party but at £22 a head feel well and truly cheated. Still hungry when we got home and wished we had gone to thd Toby carvery ndxt door for half the price,

2 Thank CADO
“Very disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

I came here with some friends for an early evening meal after work as a result seeing an interesting menu. What a disappointment! The surroundings did not contribute to a relaxing feel with the space looking disorganised and unprofessional. The waitress seemed clueless about the dishes when questioned and it was clear that no-one bothered to taste the food before it was sent out. Two of the dishes were so bad they were inedible. The rest of the dishes (starters and mains) ranged from OK to not good at all with some very harsh and completely mismatched flavours - pickled ginger in a gazpacho dressing? Horrid. After complaining, we were not charged for the inedible dishes but were not offered anything by way of compensation for such disappointment, not even a drink and we all went home hungry.

This was my second time here and will be my last. My first visit was at lunchtime and the customer service and the food was poor then. I had wanted to give the place another chance, thinking more of an effort would be made. I was wrong and will stick to some of the really good places in Sunderland that are consistent in terms of food and service. I have worked in catering both as a chef and front of house and know what it takes to get it right, and this place unfortunately does not have it right, especially in terms of presentation of surroundings and service.

• Visited November 2013
4 Thank Lakshmi S
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Lunch with Hubby at Junipers'”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

We shared a Venison Platter after a delicious starter each; absolutely mouth watering with scotch eggs, sausage rolls, triple cooked chips and venison casserole, all traditionally made, gorgeous. My hubby simply smiled in shear bliss all the way through the meal! Thanks Juniper's Pantry, we're looking forward to trying your Supper Club next!

Visited November 2013