“Decent Italian restaurant”
Review of Gusto Vero - CLOSED

Gusto Vero
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Situated in the heart of Sunderland city centre, Gusto Vero is a contemporary Italian restaurant located away from the hustle and bustle of local bars and clubs. Whether you would like an afternoon coffee with a delicious homemade desert, a laid back lunch or you want to indulge in a mouth-watering evening meal, Gusto Vero is the best venue in town. We use traditional Italian recipes and the finest and freshest ingredients to bring you the best in Italian cuisine. Our extensive menu has something to suit all palates, so whether you prefer a simple but flavoursome pizza or pasta dish, or something a little more exquisite like one of our succulent steaks or superb seafood dishes, then Gusto Vero has something for you.The dining area is spacious with modern decor; providing the perfect setting for romantic meals or larger group gatherings. Our waiting staff are dedicated to providing you with an enjoyable experience, attentive but reserved, our staff will ensure all you have to do is relax and enjoy the fantastic food available.Not only do we provide exceptional food and service in a serene setting, we offer all of this at affordable prices,with amazing value for money 3 course deals and fabulous specials which are updated regurlarly so why not come and enjoy the Gusto Vero experience.
Sunderland, England, United Kingdom
“Decent Italian restaurant”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I've visited here before but it appears the decoration has been improved since then and it has a lovely feel to the place. It was quiet this time round with only one other group there but this was at about 6pm so still early. We took advantage of the Happy Hour menu and I ordered the 3 courses for £13. For a starter I ordered bruschetta and the waitress was happy to get mine made without the balsamic vinegar which I'm not a fan of. It was nicely presented and it tasted good although I forgot to take a photo of it as I was that hungry. I then had chicken in a chilli, garlic and tomato sauce with chips and this was a good size and it tasted lovely. For dessert, there was only 3 desserts to choose from but I had an apple crumble with a caramel topping and it came with cream (you could have got wine or a beer instead of dessert but I don't drink). It tasted nice but I would have preferred ice cream or custard with it to be honest. Service was ok, some of the meals were handed out by the chef which I thought was a bit strange when the waitress was standing there. One of my friends was given a different meal but this was quickly changed with no problem. Overall decent food at a decent price.

• Visited August 2013

“Overcharged”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Raw fish and charged chefs special prices cause the didn't have what I wanted originally waitress stinking attitude when I corrected her

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Sanderp3
Tyne & Wear
“Excellent food, service and value for money!”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Visitied with the wife on a monday night so it wasnt at all busy. We were there in time for the early bird menu which had plenty of choice for very good value!! I went for a salad to start with a chicken main. Both came quickly, were tasty and a rather large portion size. We've been here quite a few times now without compaint and for 2 courses and drinks each under £25 its very good value!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Explorez
“Lovely waiter, unfortunately didn't make up for everything else.”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We went to this restaurant mid-week before the cinema. We arrived and it was almost dead, bar one table in the corner. The waiter was keen for is to sit in the window, so we obliged.
I knew straight away that we were not going to get top quality food or drink here, but I kept an open mind as the waiter was so sweet and attentive.
We ordered bottled beer which was fine.
We then ordered starters. Potato skims and a special of 3 stuffed mushrooms with blue cheese and balsamic vinegar. They arrived fairly promptly. However the mushrooms were 3 small capped mushrooms, not large flat mushrooms that you might of expected. This dish cost £5.95 which is an absolute rip-off.
For our main courses we had lasagne and risotto. My husband said that the lasangne was nice but a small portion as he was still hungry. I had a risotto, the rice used was not risotto rice so the texture was all wrong. They served the small portion on a soggy lettuce leaf which did not look or taste good.

We too had to go to the cash point as the card machine wasn't working, although that didn't bother us too much.

I would like to say that the waiter was lovely, perhaps a little too enthusiastic with rearranging or table several times but he was attentive and charming. I guess it is easier when you only have 2 tables to attend but still.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Customer Reviewer 2013
“oooooo champion!”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

best italian meal i have ever had! never even heard of the place up until two year ago when my girlfriend took me. since then i hav never looked back cos the cheesy garlic bread is to die for ;) mmmmmmm champion!

2 Thank allport13