“An ok hotel, apart from the restaurant service”

BEST WESTERN Oslo Airport Hotel
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Gardermoen
Bristol, United Kingdom
“An ok hotel, apart from the restaurant service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in June 2014, flying out of the airport the following morning, The hotel was ok, nothing special, but ok.

I got the shuttle from the airport, which quick enough. However it seems that if you get the shuttle, you are always going to be waiting in a queue at reception, fair enough if everyone else has got the shuttle too. Try and get off the bus first!

The reception is actually quite nice, open with big windows etc. The bar etc is also nice enough, but I imagine can get fairly busy if there a lot of people using it. There weren't that many chairs to sit on unless you were eating. On the whole the hotel seemed fairly clean, tidy and well presented.

The room I was given was fairly small, but was comfy enough. It was really noisey outside of the hotel from all of the planes taking off, but I didn't hear these in my room at all, which was pretty good. The room had blackout curtains and the bed seemed comfy too. The thermostat in my bathroom (I think room 265) however seemed to be stuck on full, the heat in there was unbearable, but the rest of the room was fine temperature wise.

I decided to go and quickly get something to eat before going to bed, I hadn't got to the hotel until 9pm, so wanted to eat really quickly and get to sleep as I had an early(ish) flight out the next morning. Sadly this wasn't to be. Basically there were not enough staff in the restaurant at all. I counted 2, but only one that actually seemed to be doing something.......badly.

When I arrived I asked for a table and was quickly ushered to one and given a menu. I was also asked if I wanted a drink, "yeah, just a beer please". The waiter returned a short while later and took my food order. I then sat and waited, and waited, assuming that my drink would be right along. The waiter passed me quite a few times, even went to the bar, but sadly my drink didn't turn up.

Finally when the food arrived (actually pretty good food it seemed) the waiter also brought a glass which he left on my table (I thought I was finally getting my drink). When he went to walk away I mentioned that I had also ordered a drink and he asked what it was. I clarified again and he went off to get it, leaving a new glass with beer on my table. Still not sure what the random glass was for, there was no water on the table or anything, and it stayed there. Perhaps somebody somewhere was drinking from a bottle.

At the same time the waiter was dropping off the beer I asked for some condiments, which he agreed to get and vanished again. I saw him a couple of minutes later serving another table and rushing again behind the bar. I realised my condiments were not coming and started eating anyway, always hopeful that they would arrive.....they never did.

Once I'd finished I waited a little longer for the waiter to come back so I could advise how I would like to settle. Again, he never turned up, so in the end I had to get up and go to the bar to ask that the food be put on my room.

When this first all started I actually thought it was amusing and didn't want to blame the waiter (he was expected to look after the bar and the restaurant, running around all over the place, so I though that it just needed more staff), however the guy was fairly rude and didn't seem to give a damn. He was certainly overworked though, so that could have had something to do with it.

All of the above re food wasn't terrible, it was bearable and the food was actually pretty good, but the service was very shoddy to say the least.

Breakfast in the hotel was actually pretty good. Buffet style as expected, with a descent selection (apart from fruit), so nothing really to complain about there. It did the job no problem.

I had a fairly good nights sleep in the end, as I said my room was quiet etc, so all in all that was a success.

The shuttle for the airport picks up right outside of the hotel, so is nice and easy to catch in the morning

This hotel in not terrible, it is comfy enough and for the price is actually fine. I have previously stayed in the Radisson Blu for twice the price, and apart from the size of the rooms and the proximity to the hotel, I wouldn't say it is better, actually worse in some respects.

If you are looking for a cheap hotel to get your head down, this is actually ok.

Room Tip: Room 265 has the thermostat in the bathroom stuck on full. Don't stay in it unless this is fixed...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
OsloAirport, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Oslo Airport Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. I have now talked to our Restaurant Manager, and he will pass this on to the waiters working that night. We strive every day to provide a superior customer experience. I am sorry we weren’t able to do that for you. We will use the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we provide a better experience in the future.

Because we value your business, we would like to provide you with a 30 % discount to use towards a future stay. When you’re ready to use this discount, please contact me directly and I will personally assist you with your reservation.

Please consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with superior service. You can reach me directly at +4763949505.

And thank you for taking time to write this detailed feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
Salem, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is just 5 min shuttle from the airport

The checkin was easy with preferred room and room were small but adequate for a transit

There is nothing near by to visit . Have to reach the oslo city .

Convienent breakfast starts as early as 4 am

Shuttle bus every 20 min

Good place if ur in transit

Stayed June 2014
Thank you so much for this nice feedback. I hope to see you soon again!
oslo, Norway
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

Despite having a reservation guaranteed buy credit card and turning up late and hungry, they had sold my room. They had taken a booking for a party and they place was crammed with drunken people. Everyone with reservations who turned up late was was being driven to a VERY budget hotel after being charged full reservation rate, think of it as selling the same room twice. Asked to be booked into the Park In (had rooms available, walk able to airport as it was very late and I was not going to get much sleep as had been waiting 90min). Finally they 'found' me a room which essentially meant they were lying to me for the 90min prior. Oh and what a room lol, was essentially an office with a bed in it, the great friendly service continued at check out when I asked for a reduction in rate where I was told this was their 'suite'. Anyway they gave me 200kr whoop do woo. If you care about dishonesty from hotels then really you should not stay here as that is what they are. There are plenty of other reasonably priced alternatives across the road, Scandic and on the one whose name escapes me. Seriously hope this review disuades a potential customer from looking elsewhere. Have send a complaint to Best Western Loyalty people also, if I can will update this when they respond.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Andrew S
I would like to tell you that we are very sorry for this incident, and we have now compensated this guest in a way, he expressed he was very happy about.

We did a mistake, which we truly are sorry about. However I think it is important that we acknowledge that and make it right in the end!

I think and hope we will see him again.

Travelers are raving about these Gardermoen hotels

Sant Joan de Vilatorrada, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

A comfortable and nice hotel next to the Oslo-Gardemoen airport. All hotels in the surroundings (which are a lot), are connected directly to the airport via regular bus lines, with a cost of 70NOK (around 9EUR) a single trip.

The rooms are big enough, comfortable and equipped with all necessary things (complete bathroom, a small fridge).

The restaurant of the hotel has really good food. It's quite crowded, as there are no restaurants in the near area, so everyone stays in the hotel for dinner.

Although it is next to the airport, there is no noise inside the hotel, as it is really well isolated!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your very nice feedback. Welcome back:-)
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

The bar area is alright and the staff were nice enough, that's it, rooms are crap the beds worse, if you don't stay dead centre you'll roll out of bed because the mattress gives no support at all. Rooms poor at best and too warm.

• Stayed May 2014

Thank you for taking time to give us this feedback!

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at +4763949500.
Barcelona, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

We stayed here for a night. We knew the kind of hotel we were going to, just modest, ok to sleep and that was all.
But when we arrived to the airport we were surprise to need to pay for the shuttle bus 70K each, one way. And you need to take it again the next morning to go back to the airport or into town, as there is no other way to get out.
If I had of known, I would had spend the 280K in a hotel in he city center rather than spending it in the Shuttle bus.
The hotel is clean, rooms are ok, it defenetly no worth it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank C A
OsloAirport, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Oslo Airport Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
In order to have the shuttle bus running frequently (every 20 minutes) we need to charge NOK 70,- per way (children run free) The other hotels in the area have all the same rate. We pay a lot of money in order to have the shuttle, we dont have any income from this at all. However I am sorry you find this expencive, and of course I understand your frustration. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at +4763949500.

Thank you very much for taking the time to giving us this feedback.