“Lovely”
Review of GamlaVaerket Hotel

GamlaVaerket Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Sandnes
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Very nice hotel, in an old factory. The lay out of the ground floor is unusual, which gives the hotel the feeling of a family house with a kitchen, a living room and a dining room. All people were friendly and helpful. I stayed here at the beginning and at the end of my 2014 Kaaptocht. In the meantime they stored my bike box and organized tape etc to get my bicycle packed again. The food was lovely!

Room Tip: Stay in the main building, don't go to new part
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed July 15, 2014

So I wouldn't recommend anyone visiting Sandnes for any reason unless they want to check out this cute hotel. In my opinion, this hotel and Anastasia at the front desk, are the towns only shining stars. I know that sounds harsh, but I guess after visiting Oslo & Bergen prior to our 1 night stay here, my expectations were raised real high! The main street that it sits on may have been something great back in the day, but while we were there it was like a ghost town. We jokingly renamed the town "SADness" as we couldn't wait to leave. The only reason we were here was to get to Pulpit Rock early the next morning (about 1.5 hours away by car on a lovely scenic road). The room was clean but small. The bathroom was very tiny with the smallest sink I've ever seen! No counter space in the bathroom. Annoying. The atmosphere of the hotel was very quaint. The included breakfast was nice. However, our TV didn't work, we had a view of the railroad station and there were no directions on how to use the phone...we couldn't even figure out how to dial the front desk - no directions! Thank goodness we had no emergency because we'd have to run down 4 flights for help! We told the front desk about the broken TV and all that was said was that they'd send someone to take a look! No apology for the inconvenience. I also mentioned the problem with the phone and we were told that they had just finished retyping the phone card directions, but hadn't gotten them into the rooms yet! What???!!! The food was good. The hotel is cute and has a lot of history. Too bad its in a very sad town. Anastasia at the front desk was amazingly helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: If you have to stay in Sandners than this is the only hotel to stay at! Ask for a room with a view...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2014

A little different, but in a good way. Old building, easy to get lost, but very nice. Good beds, fine rooms, good breakfast and friendly, helpful staff who even ran out to get us a newspaper when we asked for one. Comfy and nice! A car is useful, the train station is not very near by and the train/bus services in Sandnes are not impressive.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I stayed at the Gamlavaerket over a Saturday night in Janaury 2014. The reception, restaurant (breakfast) and facilities were very good. The reception is a part of the restaurant and carries the theme of the factory which I suspect it once was. The hotel room, although very simply appointed, was all I needed for a few hours of sleep.

A couple of comments for improvements. The bathroom could have been a bit cleaner - in particular the tracks for the shower door. Also there is no soap dish in the shower (used the shower floor instead) and like most European bathrooms has little to no space for toiletries. Although there was a big party in the third floor banquet hall that same night, the noise and sound of hard heels dancing on a wooden floor didn't disturb my sleep because I went to sleep after they did. That might not be the case for others who were trying to sleep that night. Lastly, the lighting in the room was soft - too soft. I prefer to have the option (particularly on a dark winter day), to have bright light in the room to see the contents of my suitcase.

I prefer this hotel to a chain hotel since it has a bit of history connected to it. I would recommend it to others and would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: The third floor has a large banquet hall for weddings, parties, etc. If you stay over a the weekend...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Charming building.
Clean and ok accommodation. Polite and helpful staff. Good food and a sufficient breakfast, but on the negative side:
Rooms are without aircondition and definately not soundproof. Got a room inside with windows opening into reception area. Not good at all. The room was too hot (this was in wintertime) with no possibilities for fresh air.
Find a bit more expensive and regular hotel.

Room Tip: Only a room facing the streets will give an you an oportunity to get som fresh air. Not too much tra...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I was there on a date a week before Christmas. I impressed the other person with the great food, and also with ghe nice place the restaurant is. I recommend this place for anyone that is looking for a great place to get some food, ether alone or together with others

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Directions1
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I found a good deal for this hotel which was some 700NKR cheaper than other hotels. Check in was a little slow at first as I didn't see the button to summon the staff - the restaurant was very busy being the week before Christmas. After that, it was slick and I was quickly in my room. The corridors are spartan and the room is best described as rustic, tying in with the hotel name which means 'Old Workshop' I was told. The room was spacious, warm and comfortable. Take a book as there wasn't much for non-English speakers on the telly. WiFi is freely available throughout the hotel.

I went back down to reception to see if I could eat in the busy restaurant. I was courteously told that there would be a short wait whilst a table was readied. I was shown a to a sofa and offered a glass of wine. The menu is in Norwegian, understandably, but my waitress was very helpful explaining it and the choice of the Christmas buffet. I opted for the lutefisk, a Norwegian specialty, and not something I had tried before. As it was served I was told that the chef would do me something else if I didn't like it, which was really generous. I did it and it wasn't so bad.

I had a good night's sleep and the buffet breakfast was excellent with many choices.

The hotel is just a couple of minutes from the railway station and the bus interchange but is also by the shops which have great displays and not one Primark to be seen!

Overall, a good stay with friendly and helpful staff and an excellent restaurant.Remember, this is Norway so will be more expensive than the UK. but to my mind was relatively good value

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandnes
Kronen Gaard Hotel
#4 of 27 in Stavanger
Thon Hotel Sandnes
Thon Hotel Sandnes
#7 of 8 in Sandnes

Been to GamlaVaerket Hotel? Share your experiences!