“Cozy, clean, good service”
Review of GamlaVaerket Hotel

GamlaVaerket Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Sandnes
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I stayed at the Gamlavaerket over a Saturday night in Janaury 2014. The reception, restaurant (breakfast) and facilities were very good. The reception is a part of the restaurant and carries the theme of the factory which I suspect it once was. The hotel room, although very simply appointed, was all I needed for a few hours of sleep.

A couple of comments for improvements. The bathroom could have been a bit cleaner - in particular the tracks for the shower door. Also there is no soap dish in the shower (used the shower floor instead) and like most European bathrooms has little to no space for toiletries. Although there was a big party in the third floor banquet hall that same night, the noise and sound of hard heels dancing on a wooden floor didn't disturb my sleep because I went to sleep after they did. That might not be the case for others who were trying to sleep that night. Lastly, the lighting in the room was soft - too soft. I prefer to have the option (particularly on a dark winter day), to have bright light in the room to see the contents of my suitcase.

I prefer this hotel to a chain hotel since it has a bit of history connected to it. I would recommend it to others and would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: The third floor has a large banquet hall for weddings, parties, etc. If you stay over a the weekend...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Charming building.
Clean and ok accommodation. Polite and helpful staff. Good food and a sufficient breakfast, but on the negative side:
Rooms are without aircondition and definately not soundproof. Got a room inside with windows opening into reception area. Not good at all. The room was too hot (this was in wintertime) with no possibilities for fresh air.
Find a bit more expensive and regular hotel.

Room Tip: Only a room facing the streets will give an you an oportunity to get som fresh air. Not too much tra...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I was there on a date a week before Christmas. I impressed the other person with the great food, and also with ghe nice place the restaurant is. I recommend this place for anyone that is looking for a great place to get some food, ether alone or together with others

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Directions1
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I found a good deal for this hotel which was some 700NKR cheaper than other hotels. Check in was a little slow at first as I didn't see the button to summon the staff - the restaurant was very busy being the week before Christmas. After that, it was slick and I was quickly in my room. The corridors are spartan and the room is best described as rustic, tying in with the hotel name which means 'Old Workshop' I was told. The room was spacious, warm and comfortable. Take a book as there wasn't much for non-English speakers on the telly. WiFi is freely available throughout the hotel.

I went back down to reception to see if I could eat in the busy restaurant. I was courteously told that there would be a short wait whilst a table was readied. I was shown a to a sofa and offered a glass of wine. The menu is in Norwegian, understandably, but my waitress was very helpful explaining it and the choice of the Christmas buffet. I opted for the lutefisk, a Norwegian specialty, and not something I had tried before. As it was served I was told that the chef would do me something else if I didn't like it, which was really generous. I did it and it wasn't so bad.

I had a good night's sleep and the buffet breakfast was excellent with many choices.

The hotel is just a couple of minutes from the railway station and the bus interchange but is also by the shops which have great displays and not one Primark to be seen!

Overall, a good stay with friendly and helpful staff and an excellent restaurant.Remember, this is Norway so will be more expensive than the UK. but to my mind was relatively good value

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Nice hotel, friendly and helpful staff, good restaurant and location within walking distance of train and bus station. Easy bus connection to Stavanger. If you are 60+ make sure to mention at ticket places anywhere that you are a "Pensionier" to get up to 50% discount - museums, transportation, etc.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SamChristel
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Just recently visited Gamlavaerket with my girlfriend for dinner. Since I was so amazed over the quality of the food, and also the Hotel in it self I believe it deserves a review.

The staff was very friendly and gave us a nice table by the window.
The Hotel is very old and charming, and also very romantic, and you feel very relaxed sitting down here. The staff provided us with a selection of wine and food, and we ended up ordering a three course meal with a lovely red wine. (the recommended wine). The meal was one of the best we've had, and the main course was excellent. My girlfriend ordered white fish with fresh vegetables, and I got a steak. It's the first time I ever seen my girlfriend finish her meal...

Because of the service level, great food, and also great location in the middle of the city centre I would recommend stopping by this place. And if you would like to stay in a Hotel with a unique concept you should definitely stay here. Its old and rustic, and warm and friendly.

Thanks for a great evening, Gamlavaerket!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Magsve
Reviewed February 6, 2013

The room that I paid handsomely for had a lovely view of the light rail station - about 20 meters away from the window. I never did get the thermostat right. Had to modulate the temperature by opening windows - in the dark of winter.

The bed was only barely tolerable, and the other furnishings were spartan. Phone is useless - unable to call outside the hotel.

One good thing - the WiFi connection was excellent and fast. Another good thing - the front desk staff was outstanding.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandnes
Kronen Gaard Hotel
#4 of 26 in Stavanger
Thon Hotel Stavanger
Thon Hotel Stavanger
#1 of 26 in Stavanger

Been to GamlaVaerket Hotel? Share your experiences!