“Managers must be helpful”
Review of Charles & De

Charles & De
Ranked #14 of 69 Restaurants in Sandnes
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Mathuset Charles & De opened its doors in 2005. The name tells of exquisite taste and the importance of good cooperation. Charles Tjessem was given the title world champion in 2003, when he won the gold medal in the prestigious competition Bocuse d'Or. He has also been the general manager for the Culinary Institute and captain for the Norwegian Culinary Team. Tjessem is known for its great commitment to craftsmanship based on selected ingredients from local food. He is uncompromising with regard to the quality of the finished result and clever to let talented employees forward. With the team he has a select group of highly skilled professionals who will go to great lengths to thrill you. Teamwork & Passion is the secret to a good working environment. If you visit us often, you know that we like to renew the concept periodically. We like challenges and loves to dream up new and improved ideas. The menus changes 5 times a year. It gives us the opportunity to focus on the best seasonal ingredients and prepare them according to etiquette when they are at their best. Our values ​​are reflected in what we serve. We are concerned with honesty and purity - pure flavors, pure ingredients, clean employees and clean kitchen. We believe in transparency. We are popular, but snobs with cigars are of course also welcome with us.
Stavanger, Noruega
“Managers must be helpful”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Even I have a bad experience but I could eat I would give 2 stars. If I could not eat at all I must mark one circle just, right? That's pretty much the case.
I couldn't even eat a toast.

I came to the restaurant, no one received me, and so I went straight to the women in charge. She seemed in charge because she wasn't wearing the uniform like the other girls, and look way much older, but not wiser. She keeps a severe authoritarian perform, but she also was bad skilled for end solutions like one had to happen before my eyes.
One of the youngster waitresses came to talk to her after I made my question to her (- what are the specials of the day?). She couldn't answer me, but she tried to help one of her new employees (2 mistakes in one, two unskilled performers, I must say). When she let me waiting instead answer me, I noticed the plate that dominated the entire picture was hard to swallow. Some client refused to eat the food. For sure, the pasta they tried to serve was too cooked, the whole thing looked like a red porridge.

After she sends away the little waitress, she turns to me without any smile, or sound, she CAST the paper menu. I took a look in all the dishes and the prices. Absurdly (!!!) they were the highest prices for a café place. It is more expensive them night dinners in the big cities. Wake up! There's no moon outside, nor attractive scene view, the food looked awful and worst, the manager is impolite as a primate.
Soon I realized that, I hear:
- Are you made your mind?
- Sure. – I answered, turned my back & went away from this pan demon coffee bar.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank flaviaviland

Sandnes, Norway
“Good food”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Expencive but good food from one of the best cooks in Norway. The menu could have some more options, but in all a place to go for special occasions.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Stein Erik A
Sandnes, Norway
“Nice place, quality food”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Nice place to get quality food. The food always tastes good. A little to "cafè" in style, otherwise very good.

• Visited September 2012
Houston, Texas
“Worst service ever, good food.”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We were on a business trip from USA and was told Charles was a awarding winning chef. The exceptions were high and to be fair, the food was good. But that is pretty much the only positive thing we can say form that visit. Is the place about to be discontinued?
The service was the worst we have ever experienced in Norway, which for a starter is fairly poor anyway. In addition, the table we were given had hardly any lights.
There were too many things below expected standard to be listed here but unless you only care about food stay away.
I doubt we will try that place again, not recommended.

• Visited February 2013
4 Thank GeoTravel49
Stavanger, Norway
“Try out the Superclub Sandwich...”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

If you're looking for a cozy eatery in Sandnes, this would be it. To my surprise, the menu comes with a quite a few variety of foods and drinks. You can either get a quick bite with one of their salads/sandwiches or try out their entrees. Thety even offer mussel soup which sounds pretty good. I have only had the Superclub Sandwich and that was a treat itself. The panfried potatoes and aioli sauce brought the sandwich to another level. Incredibly tasty. If their other foods are as good as the sandwich that I had, this eating establishment is a no-brainer for Sandnes locals. It rivals even some of the cafes in Stavanger like Ostehuset...

The only minus is the service. Could be better. The place is vibrant with people actively waiting in line to get their orders in. So don't wait for someone to get your order at the table.

• Visited December 2012