“Good for business traveller as well as family”

Quality Hotel Skaergaarden
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Langesund
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Spent three nights here in early June which seemed to be off season. The place was deserted the first couple of nights then got a bit busier as there seemed to be a conference on. By far the friendliest and most accommodating front desk staff that I have encountered, over all the service was very good. Room was standard size and comfortable with a great view over the fjord. Breakfast has a good selection, although the omelette station was never manned. Dinner menu was limited and some items not available, probably due to the time of year. The Pizza is massive and very good. I was here on business and would recommend for business and tourists alike, WiFi is free and the swimming pool good for a dip, which my son would have loved with the wave machine and slides. Langesund is just a couple of minutes drive and has a few restaurants worth visiting. All in all an enjoyable visit and will stay here if I have to return to the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Caroline_admin, General Manager at Quality Hotel Skaergaarden, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear duncinmanila,
Thank you so much for taking your time writing about us. I appreciate it, and I will bring on and look trough the comments you are providing me with so we can do better in the future.

June is a quiet month and time for conference. July is the busy month, and if you bring children that is the month where we have the most activities for our young travellers.

I wish you a great summer!

Sincerely, Caroline Laurhammer, GM

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Very friendly and helpful staff at the check in counter. The lobby is large with seating, and also just outside the entrance are seating areas.

The lift was tiny and very slow. I was on 4th floor. The room was fine, but very generic. The bathroom looked updated, so has probably been refurbished recently. Only dispenser soap, but nice soft towels.

There was a minibar with drinks and some snacks. No safe, but I rarely find that in Norwegian hotel rooms. Double bed, but quite small queen size. Slept well, but woke up at 7.30 because the TV suddenly turned itself on... Don´t know if it was some kind of wake up service that was activated, but I had definitely not ordered it.

Breakfast was nothing to rave about. Your typical egg dishes, cold cuts, bread and fruit. They did not fill up when things ran out, e.g the orange juice dispenser was empty. It was not a busy Sunday morning, a lot of empty tables. Also, the tables were not set, so you had to pick up coffee mug, plates, cutlery, napkins etc and set the table yourself.

Check-out was at 11 and even though a line was building up, they only had one person behind the counter. Very friendly and chatty girl.

As the hotel is not very close to any convenience stores and I could´t see that they offered room.service (I may be wrong) it could be difficult if you want something to eat in the wee hours, other than chocolate and peanuts from the minibar.

Wi-fi should be complimentary, but I could´t find out how to access for free, maybe you need some password, but they definitely did not give me any information on that when I checked in.

The hotel has a large parking lot, and the parking is free. I paid NOK 950 for the double room, including breakfast, which I think was a fair price. I believe this also included entrance to the swimming pool etc., but I did not have time to use the swimming facilities.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Caroline_admin, General Manager at Quality Hotel Skaergaarden, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Vestfoldgirl,
Thank you very much for your response and feedback on Tripadvisor. It means a lot to us.
I hope we will see you again, and that we will be able to inform you better about all the services we offer. There is a store just across from the hotel, but we have food all day at the hotel. When the main dinner restaurant is closed, we offer a selectio of smaller menu items to eat in the bar area.
Wifi provided from Telenor is free of use. The code is handed out by reception, and if you are a Nordic Choice member you can use your membernumber. This form is available at all Nordic Choice Hotels.
I hope to see you again, and we are working to better inform you in advance about all our facilities.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I used to come here when i was a kid, our family had a cabin not far from the resort.

I think they have two new features since i was here for many many years ago. The wave machine was new and also the main slide? The pool area are the same tough. Great surroundings for kids in all ages.

Stayed one night at this hotel with my girlfriend for a easter getaway. The hotel had a great offer for a room with breakfast and entry to the pool area included.
Our room was on ground floor and had the typical hotel look. Very comfy beds!
The staff was friendly!

We tought we were going to be almost alone in the hotel cause of easter holiday (norwegians tend to go to the mountains) but the hotel was packed.

So our main purpose was to relax and enjoy the pool area. Despite all the screaming and chaos we did manage to enjoy stay. If you need to charge your batteries, i would recommend another place.

They were short on staff in the restaurant so when we arrived for breakfast in the morning the area looked like a battlefield.

I recommend a visit to Langesund and Brevik if you have the time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Haraldsenb
Caroline_admin, General Manager at Quality Hotel Skaergaarden, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Dear Haraldsenb,
Thank you so much for your response! You had a great review. I am happy you saw the changes we have made, and there are more to come! We will go trough a major renovation in the year to come. Planning period this year, and GO next year.

I am sorry though if you came here to relax. Winter and Easter has been very busy with a lot of families. We are happy of course, but we are very much orientated towards children. I hope, and dear promise, that there will be lot to do also for grown ups after the renovation. BUT - no excuse for the mess at breakfast time. We will take a note of that.

Summer time might be good to come back. A lot of great outdoor concerts during summer time at Wrightegaarden which is just 10 minutes walk from us!
I wish you both a happy 2013, and hope to see you again here in Langesund!

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Quality Hotel is located very close to water front and has a heated pool( large enough for all fun). Is about 40 mins from Sandefjord airport
Great meeting and cond=ference facilities
Very helpful reception staff

Room Tip: Select room facing water. Wireless internet is available through out the hotel even though weak at...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Caroline_admin, General Manager at Quality Hotel Skaergaarden, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2012

Dear Bose J,
Thank you so much for your great review on us. It was a pleasure to have you all here. We don't get too many reviews on our conference facilities, so this is highly appreciated.
Welcome back any time!
Sincerely Caroline Laurhammer
General Manager at Quality Resort Skjærgården

Reviewed August 17, 2012

This was my second visit to the country of Norway and I really enjoy finding small towns with great hotels. This hotel is pleasant to stay at. It is geared more towards families but is also nice for couples. The pool area has a water slide, wave pool, and a mushroom waterfall. It also has a Turkish bath and sauna which was a bonus. The rooms are spacious and the beads are very comfortable. This hotel definitely shows its age and will need an upgrade soon. The blow dryers in the bathrooms are silly as they do not blow hot air. But, overall it is a good price for what it has to offer. I also enjoyed petting the sheep and rabbits what were outside the hotel. What a cool bonus.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the lake is nice.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Caroline_admin, General Manager at Quality Hotel Skaergaarden, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

Dear Kristin r,
Thank you so much for your response to your stay with us. Your rating and comments are valuable to us.
I am happy you liked the animals. We extended our "animal park" this year, and we adore our little friends.
Regarding the hair dryers, I know, they are hopeless. We are in the process of changing to new and stronger ones. Thank you for speeding up the process.

I wish you welcome back to Langesund any time!
Yours Sincerely
Caroline Laurhammer, GM

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Nicely located by the sea, with a big pool/spa activity area, this place could have been good, but...

We had to play play "hide and seek" with the staff in the aqua park, waiting for the simplest service.

The restaurant claimed to have (quote) "..excellent kitchen.... ...preparing the most delicious dishes.."
But on Saturdays they only serve an overpriced and tasteless buffet, and on Sundays they are closed! (Recommending you to order food from a local pizzeria!)

Entering the restaurant, looking forward for a nice Saturday dinner, we found a buffet that was not kept tidy and fresh. We had to go through the remains of salmon to find some attractive pieces.
And the hot dishes where not even hot, but looked as if they had been around for most of the day. Around eight o’clock some of the bread alternatives where already gone.
The amateur waiter looked bored and asked for drink orders without giving us the wine menu.

All in all a big disappointment, and for 325 NOK a person it was a rip-off.
(We expressed our opinion to waiter when we paid, but got absolutely no response..)

The breakfast buffet only confirmed our impression, that the hotel has no reason to be proud of their restaurant!

Slow and uninspired staff and a bad restaurant experience, is not good enough. Especially when the hotel needs some advantages to compensate for the somewhat worn down impression it gives in other areas.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Dear Jazztrotter,
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to read about your experience with our restaurant. I wish there was something I could do to make it up to you. Please contact me via our email if there is anything I can do to make up for your bad experience. This is not how it should be, and I know we are better than this. Write to me, Caroline Laurhammer, via our Front Office e-mail: qr.badeparken@choice.no
I hope the rest of your stay in Norway was better, and I thank you again for your time in writing to us.
Sincerely Caroline Laurhammer

Reviewed February 22, 2012

This was our third visit, the first being 15 years ago, the second exactly a year ago and this most recent visit a few days ago. Last year we were disappointed in the lack of ventilation and the outdated furnishings in the family room. This year we were delighted to find that we got one of the renovated family rooms with bunkbeds for our 2 children. Wow! What an improvement. The room was spacious, tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean. The beds are comfortable however the pillows are pretty poor quality so if you like a firm pillow, I suggest you bring your own as even using 2 of the hotel pillows didn't provide much neck support. The bathroom was adequate but the quality of the shower was poor(virtually no water pressure, almost insufficient to rinse off shampoo) and the toilet paper of the poorest quality imaginable. The ventilation was much improved this year and seems to be timed to come on and off. One little concern in the room is the length of the curtains. These are full-length and in order to have the curtains closed, you need to cover the heater, which clearly states on it that it is a fire hazard to do so..............

The rest of our stay was as before, the kids loved the pool complex and the breakfast and buffet dinner fantastic(if you love seafood). The warm food was very average, nothing outstanding, unlike the seafood selection which is amazing and exceptionally good value for money. At breakfast times however we felt that the restaurant was under-staffed. Several times during our 3-day stay we noticed that things ran out and the guests had to tell the staff to refill. We would have expected that checking the status of juice, milk etc would be standard routine and not reliant on guest feedback. The staff who were there were extremely pleasant and helpfull, can't help wondering if the management are cutting back and that the staff who are there are over-worked and can't do everything that is required to keep things running smoothly? The kids loved the buffet experience and are already asking if we'll going be back next year............One little gripe is the towel situation. Hotel guests have free use of the pool complex which is fantastic, however no extra towels are provided in the rooms. We took our own towels with us as we knew this from before, but feel that it would be a big plus if pool towels(perhaps a different colour) were provided for pool use. Guest could then leave these behind for laundering at the pool at the end of the day. I don't mind bringing my own, but the bathroom just isn't big enough to dry 4 pool towels, 4 bath towels and 4 sets of swimwear.

All in all this is an excellent place to spend a few days with the family and with a few minor improvements could be fantastic.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank duntiblaesnob
Caroline_admin, General Manager at Quality Hotel Skaergaarden, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2012

Dear Dentiblaesnob,
Thank you for coming back to us! And for giving us such excellent feedback. I am happy you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms. We renovated november 2011. Regarding curtains, we thought about the same thing, and the manufacturer has guaranteed they are fire proof.
The other issues you are pointing out, are areas for improvement. Your opinions are important to us, and will help us getting better. Being "Barnas Hotell" / Resort for Kids, we are all working to make this a memorable experience for our young guests, and their parents.

I hope we will see you all back soon,
Sincerely
Caroline Laurhammer

Also consider these accommodations in or near Langesund
Farris Bad Hotel
Quality Hotel Grand Farris
Thon Hotel Hoyers
Thon Hotel Hoyers
#2 of 5 in Skien

Been to Quality Hotel Skaergaarden? Share your experiences!