“Amazing experience”

and 1 more site!
Sorrisniva Igloo Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Specialty Lodging in Alta
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Stayed for just one night last week as part of a longer northern lights trip based in Alta. We had a great two days at Sorrisniva and strongly recommend it.

The ice hotel hotel itself was a once in a lifetime experience, it is straight out of a film set, stunning ice sculptures, amazing light, a beautiful chapel and fabulous bar area - a magical fairy tale place. We slept well in a winter wonderland.

The non-ice built parts of the hotel (dining room, sauna, tv room etc) were also excellent, lots of warmth and very comfortable. Hans and the staff were really friendly, very helpful and went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed our stay.The restaurant was very good indeed, superb dinner made from local produce - great cod and elk.

The surroundings were magical, moonlit walks with kick sleds on the frozen Tana river, exploring the Tana valley on dog sleds and going up onto the plateau by snowmobile - all unforgettable experiences.

Staying here is not cheap, but then nothing is in Norway. Overall an experience I would definitely do again.

Room Tip: The two "suites" in the ice hotel are bigger rooms, have their own ice sculptures and seem...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mh1961
There are newer reviews for Sorrisniva Igloo Hotel

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Do it! If you are considering booking at the Igloo Hotel, do not consider any longer. I took a group of 17 people to the Sorrisniva, all diverse in culture and age range but every single one of us had a ball. It was incredible. Ingrid & Hans were so amazing and helpful, they made sure our trip was perfect. We were recommended the snowmobile trip and were not disappointed, the views we saw were incredible. Also the food was absolutely stunning (Dinner & Breakfast), the cod was the best I have ever tasted - perfect. Hans had to wake some of me and my colleages up as we slept that well.

It was a trip I will cherish forever and I will be bringing people back!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank DominiqueGrace
Reviewed February 8, 2014

If you are visiting Norway wintertime, why focus on big cities and other crowded places? Spend a little more money, go to Alta and visit Tor-Kjetil & co at Sorrisniva icehotel/iglohotel. It's is worth every penny, ask for a tour to the mountains with snow mobile. Take Norwegian to Alta from Oslo, they will pick you up in Alta, you stay at the hotel night over, sleeping in 4-7 dgr below zero, inside the icehotel. It's a magical moment, quiet and it's like beeing in a fairy tale. The kitchen makes you the best dishes from rain deer, moose and fish.
It will cost you few penny more than staying at Clarion, but it's worth it.

Visit www.sorrisniva.no for more info

Thank you Tor-Kjetil for unforgettable moments.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank OyvindMahle
Reviewed February 4, 2014

First the good - the food in the restaurant at dinner was very good, breakfast less so but we were still full from the night before. We also did the snowmobile safari which was good fun.

Nothing was actually bad, it was an interesting experience but once you have seen the ice hotel you probably don't need to stay there as well - for the price you pay to do so, I was expecting a bit more attentive service or provisions. A unique experience but would suggest saving your money and just visiting.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stuart L
Reviewed January 31, 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a 2 week once in a lifetime holiday to Norway. We stayed in Tromso, Alta, Hammerfest and Bergen and included a Hurtigruten cruise. The Ice Hotel was the icing on the cake - amazing !! Extremely friendly staff, great service and a wonderful night's sleep !! The waiter served us drinks in the hot tub - fantastic ! We were so lucky, as we were the only guests booked in that night and had the whole Ice Hotel to ourselves. It was magical. We loved Norway and were fortunate to see the Northern Lights in Tromso - brilliant ! This should be on everyone's 'bucket list' !!!

Room Tip: We wore our thermals in bed and were very snug and cozy.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dee S
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I had wanted to stay at Sorrisniva since seeing Joanna Lumley visit there on TV. I arrived there in a blizzard but received a really warm welcome. I had a tour of the facilities and there was everything I needed in the main service building: luggage-storage, toilets/showers/sauna, lounge with an open, roaring fire (could be a good place to take refuge I guess, in the event that sleeping in the igloo hotel is too chilly!) and not forgetting the fabulous wooden lavvu-shaped restaurant! Of course, like a kid I wanted to go straight to the igloo hotel out the back. Totally amazing! People really need to see it for themselves! A lot of people were in there just visiting (not staying) and when I told them I was spending the night there, the reaction tended to be "Are you crazy?" Ha ha. The sculptures in there were interesting (depicting famous characters from Norwegian history) and there was the Ice chapel, bar, a lounge with 'fire' and of course. the bedrooms! The whole effect was other-worldly being surrounded by the blue-tinged figures and listening to the eerie silence.

I had eaten on a budget all week due to the high prices in Norway so decided to treat myself and have a meal in the lavvu-restaurant. Due to there being only meat/fish dishes on the menu, I spoke to the chef who happily prepared me a vegetarian meal. And it was out of this world! Goats cheese tart then romanesco broccoli risotto followed by a cloudberry dessert! With the two glasses of wine I thought the 755 NOK (£83) cost was very reasonable, considering the quality of the food and the charming restaurant surroundings.

And so to bed! I was extremely excited to be spending the night in the igloo hotel and thought that I would stay awake to absorb/appreciate the experience. I had chatted with someone who had already stayed there and he told me he had been so hot, he had slept in his boxer shorts! I didn't quite believe him!! I went to bed in thermals, sleeping on a reindeer skin and in two sleeping bags. The room was -7 degrees.... and I fell straight to sleep and slept solid for seven hours! No problem. I had been perfectly snug/warm! I had a great night's sleep!! Thankfully I hadn't had to get up in the night and go to the toilet. Crossing to the service building in my thermals, in a blizzard, would have been 'interesting'! Then it was the buffet breakfast (included in the room price) and I had warm pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream. Delicious.

I finished my stay there with a husky dog-sled (which they organize through Northern Lights Husky in Alta) It was awesome to get chance to sled through the Alta canyon (you drive/mush the dogs yourself!) I can't really articulate how amazing the whole experience was. You must try it for yourselves!!!!

Room Tip: I slept with my camera battery in my thermal underwear (as to not lose it's charge in the cold...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank RitaSueAndBob
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We spent a night ashore at the Igloo Hotel whilst on a Saga Sapphire cruise. A wonderful experience albeit it very expensive. The price is understandable given Saga's mark up and that it is only there for about three months. Reindeer skins and arctic sleeping bags don't come cheap. Even the visit to the loo at 4.30 am allowed us to see the sun rising over the snow-covered mountains. We were made very welcome and the dinner and breakfast were top quality. Unfortunately the northern lights did not perform for us but we did see them the following two nights.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alta
Scandic Alta
Ongajok Mountain Lodge
Holmen Husky Lodge
Holmen Husky Lodge
#2 of 8 in Alta

Been to Sorrisniva Igloo Hotel? Share your experiences!