“Perfect airport hotel”

Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Vantaa
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect airport hotel”
Reviewed November 8, 2009

This hotel is perfect for travellers connecting to flights at Helsinki airport. Good hotel bus transfers from and to the airport. Simple clean rooms and great value. For those with early morning flight connections breakfast is available in the restaurant from 4.00 am.

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Reviewed October 29, 2009

At about $100 E a night you could do better elsewhere. The rooms were minimal, in spite of recent re-decorating.. No extras: no kleenex, skimpy pillows, 2 towels no more. Bathroom a pre-fab plastic cube. My dinner choice was not available in the restaurant, waitress acted like I should have known that. When we asked for a phone # for KLM airlines we were given a daytime business # so could not confirm our flight. This from an airport hotel. I just got the feeling they did not care that we were there. There was nothing really wrong, just not what we expected from the website and especially compared to Sello in Espoo where we had stayed the week before, no comparison for the same price. Look for something else, you can't do much worse.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Vantaa hotels

Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed August 1, 2009

After an awful hotel experience in Turku we were relieved when we arrived at the Cumulus. The free bus picked us up and dropped us right outside the international terminal. The front desk clerk was the friendliest and most helpful person we had encountered in Finland. We were withing walking distace of the Flamingo Center which had a large mall, several restaurants, and an entertainment center. The hotel also had a pool and saunas. Our room was large with two twin beds and a couch. Everything was clean and bright. The breakfast begins very early so catching our morning flight was easy.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank jake91
Luxembourg
Reviewed November 6, 2008

Stayed at this hotel in July 2007 for one night. The reception staff was friendly and service-minded. No problem with Internet reservation. 4*

The room, however, was disappointing, and as someone aptly put it here in another review, like a ship's cabin. The bathroom wasn't worthy of 3 stars. Very shabby. 2,5*

Breakfast was disappointing too, the tables were not cleared after guests promptly, so it was hard to find a clean table. The food itself was acceptable, except that some items were apparentely already unavailable and the bread rolls rock hard - well, almost anyway. We went to breakfast after 9 a.m., but if the hotel claims that breakfast is available until 10.00 a.m., then it should actually be available. The interior of the breakfast restaurant should have been redecorated some time ago, too. Definitely not more than 3*.

The hotel is useful for its purpose, a one night stay in the vicinity of the airport, but I wouldn't dream of planning a holiday there, let alone a city trip, since it's far away from anything interesting in the Helsinki area.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FrequentPayer
San Jose, California
Reviewed April 20, 2007

The Cumulus Airport hotel is not a great hotel. It is instead an adequate hotel for most business travelers and probably families. Its strongest point is that it is reasonably priced and convenient to the airport via a free, 10 minute shuttle ride.

Upon check-in, we were alerted that the water was switched off for a few late afternoon hours each day, presumably for renovations or repair work. My colleague unfortunately had brown water from his bathroom sink as a result.

My room was clean and comfortable. My colleagues and I were informed upon checkin that there were no King bed rooms for our room rate. Instead, we could have rooms with two double beds. We were offered an upgrade to a "superior room" for 25 Euros, but all declined.

The room featured a mid-size tube TV, telephone, and wrap-around bench (I wish I had taken a picture). The bed was covered by a very colorful comforter, and the bed itself was fine. The bathroom was basic and functional, again no frills. Large squeeze bottles with hand soap, shampoo, and gel body wash are attached to the walls (this is more convenient than it sounds). If you prefer taking the small trial-size toiletries back home, this hotel is not for you. The room had no iron or ironing board.

The in-room internet is 5 Euros per 24 hours, and it requires you to plug a provided cable into your computer's ethernet jack. The service was fast and easy to use. Wireless internet from Sonera also appears to be available throughout the hotel. The rate for this service is higher.

Consistent with the Hotel Cumulus in Tampere, the Cumulus Airport hotel features an exceptional free breakfast. Unfortunately the breakfast is not open early enough to accommodate a 7am or even 8am departure from the airport, but the food and drink quality is excellent.

My colleagues and I will likely stay at the Cumulus Airport hotel again, because it is a reasonable value and convenient to the airport. That won't prevent us from shopping around a little, but at least we know that the Cumulus offers reliable value.

• Liked — Convenient to airport, excellent free breakfast
  • Disliked — Felt somewhat tired, rooms very basic
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank FT-aquaflyer
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed January 9, 2007

I stayed at this hotel in early October the night before a 7:00 am flight from the airport. I would say this hotel is very shop worn and shabby. The lobby was large but abutted a dark (like no lights were on) lounge (this was 4:00 pm) and restaurant. The personnel were not efficient with registering guests. Over all my impression was very negative. My room was small (which I expected), but the carpet needed replacing and the room needed painting. In the morning no coffee or rolls were available at 5-6:00 am nor did the free bus show up in time to get me to the airport an hour before my international flight so I took a taxi (for 12 Euros). I thought this hotel was a very poor value for the price I paid which was 100 plus Euros.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lack of service, shabbyness
  • Tips/Secrets — Book with one of the other hotels in area.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Jean1409