“The happiest place in Europe?!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Disneyland Park

and up
Disneyland Paris 1-Day Ticket
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Although this Disney theme park, originally named Euro-Disney, was met with protest following its opening in 1992, Disneyland Paris is now frequented by large crowds drawn by technologically advanced rides and attractions.
Wilmslow, Cheshire, UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 219 helpful votes
“The happiest place in Europe?!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2005

Me and my young family think that Disneyland in Paris is fabulous! We’ve visited it twice now (Easter 2004 and August 2005) and we’ve had a trip to Disney World in Florida in-between (Christmas/New Year) and I couldn’t honestly say which is better. Sure, Disney World is bigger and it’s all in English but it’s so far away! In my experience both have their positives and negatives.

People also say that the weather in Florida is better. Well, it certainly doesn’t get cold in Florida but it can get unbearably hot which can make the Disney experience miserable. I’d much rather have mild/warm weather (like you get in Paris in the summer) than soaring temperatures when you’re trying to navigate round a busy theme park. The heat saps everyone’s energy and makes everyone irritable.

People also say that Disneyland Paris is expensive but I’d say that’s true about Disney in whichever country you go to. Whether you’re talking about the cost of accommodation, food, snacks or gifts, Disney isn’t cheap but then the experience is second to none and nobody does a theme park like Disney!

One thing really going for Orlando is that there is so much to do there (maybe too much?!) and each one of the 4 Disney Parks is fabulous. However, when it comes to Paris there is a major imbalance between the Disneyland Park and the Disney Studios. We struggle to find things to do at the Studios in Paris and if it wasn’t for the Stunt Car Show then it wouldn’t really be worth the visit. This is a massive disappointment because the Disney/MGM Studios in Florida is fantastic and needs two days set aside to see everything.

When you compare the Magic Kingdom in Florida against Disneyland in Paris then the obvious differences are the size and the language. But then the use of space in Disneyland is phenomenal with so much packed in and they also do try and cater for all languages (English, German, Spanish and French). You do have to remember that you are in Europe. We found that most of the signs were in French with English underneath; most of the staff speak pretty good English (much better than my French!) and that they make a good effort during the shows too. When we went to see the Legend of The Lion King it was entirely in English with French and German shows scheduled for other times during the day. The Winnie The Pooh show was in a mix of French & English and for Honey, I Shrunk The Audience you get a pair of headphones to put on and you can choose your language.

Ok, enough of the comparisons because it’s fair to say that its “swings and roundabouts” when you try to compare the two side by side.

Each time we’ve been to Disneyland in Paris we’ve stayed there for 4 nights and stayed at the fabulous Disneyland Hotel which sits pride of place right over the entrance to the Disneyland Park which means that you can be in Fantasyland one minute and back in your room 5 minutes later. I’ve written a separate review for the Disneyland Hotel in the appropriate section but I will stress that staying here has made our visits so much more enjoyable.

The first thing that strikes you about any Disney Park is how clean it is. Then you might notice the fabulous attention to detail. There really is so much to gaze and marvel at and the flowerbeds, trees and grass are always pristine. Disney really does go out of its way to make the surroundings pleasant and safe.

One word of advice (and this applies to everything Disney whether it’s meal times, retiring to bed or getting into the Parks)… THE EARLIER THE BETTER! The best time to be in the Disneyland Park is between opening time (usually 9:00am) and 11:00am, during this time you more or less have the park to yourself and can walk up to any ride and get on pretty much straight away. After 11:00am it does start to get busy. When it gets to noon you should be thinking about lunch because by 12:30/1:00pm everywhere will be packed.

We managed to spend the equivalent of 2 full days in the Disneyland Park and we enjoyed everything that we did whether it was Star Tours, Big Thunder Mountain, Pirates of The Caribbean, Honey I Shrunk The Audience, Peter Pans Flight, It’s A Small World, Casey Jr – Dumbo’s Circus Train, Mad Hatters Tea Cups, Carousel, Adventure Island, Dumbo The Flying Elephant, Autopia (speedway), Alice’s Curios Labyrinth and the Pirates Beach.

Yes you have to queue sometimes, annoying as it is, but if you do get in early then you can get so much more done before the hoards arrive. I think that every queue that we did encounter stayed moving and we never really became frustrated or fed up.

Both of the parades were wonderful but then I’ve yet to see a duff Disney Parade! This Fantalusion Parade which was on at 10:30pm was especially good. Each float is wonderfully lit and this is enhanced by all the lights in the park being switched off as the parade starts. This parade was then followed by the Wishes Firework Display which was nothing short of spectacular and really does fill the sky.

Our two kids are aged 7 and 2 and there is much to do here no matter what age you are. There is certainly as much for the little kids as there is for the big kids. Our 2 year old daughter had a whale of a time and still talks animatedly about what she did and saw at “The Disneyland”. We didn’t take our own buggy this time and instead we hired one which is easy to do and costs €6.50 a day. When you take it back you can ask for a receipt so that if you also visit the Studios on the same day (or vice versa) then you can get a stroller without having to pay twice. The buggies also have a useful foot plate on the back for slightly bigger kids to stand on.

As I said earlier the Studios Park feels a bit empty when compared to the Disneyland Park. However, the redeeming features are the Stunt Car Show which is awesome (even if there is a bit too much talking in-between the stunts), Aladdin’s Flying Carpets and the Studio Tram Tour (complete with Disaster Canyon). I think there’ll be more for us to do here when our kids are a bit older.

All in all I cannot fault a trip to Disneyland in Paris especially if you stay at a Disney Hotel (I would definitely recommend the Disneyland Hotel!). There’s always something to do and marvel at, it’s clean and it’s safe.

You will find yourself being swept away with it all because it’s truly magical, totally unique, utterly charming and your kids will love you for it!

41 Thank phgannon

70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 310 helpful votes
“Excellant Family Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2005

This was our first trip to a Disney park and as a sceptic I thought there wouldn't be much for adults to do. However, after this trip I can thoroughly reccommend a trip there for the whole family. We stayed close by in the Pierre + Vacances ( see separate review) appartments. Having done a bit of research in a specific DLP book we had some good tips for our visit. However, we didn't do too well in getting there early, about 1015 each day, so the first day was spent waiting 20-30 minutes to buy tickets. Spookily enough we bought our next tickets in the hotel ( or RER station/disney store/tourist office) so we didn't have to queue. One bad point is that the ticket staff try to sell you the two park ticket, which is advertised a lot more prominentaly, with the cheaper ticket appearing in very small print by the ticket booths. Having asked for the 1 park ticket, the price was a lot more than I was expecting so I challenged this in french, at which point I was given the sales patter in english about the great Studio parks. Again after some more sales chat I got the tickets I wanted, but how many people realise , or are to timid to challenge this attitude?
Having entered the park we took the train around it to discovery land. The guide recommended using the fast pass system which we did throughout, the most annoying thing being many of these ticket machines were unserviceable leaving maybe 1 in 3 or 4 working and eventually a cast member would hand out the tickets manually. I was amazed how many people didn't use these tickets and muttered when your short queue joined the normal long queues for rides! I felt sorry for the cast members at the fast pass entrances as some people would show up early for their pass times and then argue sometimes aggressively with the cast trying to get in early, luckily they stood their ground and told them to wait! Using the passes for the rides at the end of Day1 we had pretty much done all the big rides in the park. We'd missed the tickets for the first Lion king performance, but at that time it rained heavily so we stood in the theatre to keep dry. Again the cast were good as there were a few spare seats left and they allowed children to sit down whilst we stood behind the barrier.
The rides I enjoyed with my eldest son 7 years were space mountain (managed to sneak him on twice - technically a bit too short), Thunder mountain, Pirates of the caribbean, haunted house and indianna jones ( the books say you loop backwards not so). The kids enjoyed the rockets in discovery ride, star wars and the car driving. One of the frontier land rides ie the boats various was not working in August at all.
The shows were good although the boys didn't really enjoy tarzan, but the Honey I shrank the audience made a lot of people jump and squirm. On the second day we saw all the evening parades/fireworks which were very impressive- we saw the fireworks from our hotel every night which at a distance are under whelming.
I think 2 days is enough for DLP, we had been on every ride, seen all the shows and contary to the book's advice had managed to bring in a packed lunch / drinks each day. The drinks/ice creams are comparable to UK theme park/london prices. A lot of forumites complained of cigarette smoke, I don't like smoke, but found only a tiny amount of people smoked in queues etc so it was no great bother. We visited on a monday and wednesday in the august school holidays and it wasn't too bad for queues especially as the rides stay open late.
So go visit and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32 Thank daveashuk
Devon UK
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“Fantastic holiday!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2005

Just got back from Disneyland Paris, and we had a really great time.
We stayed outside the park at Pierre et Vacances and had a two day pass to enjoy the park and then spent some time in Paris itself.
I noticed that I had saved about £1600 by booking my own flights (Flybe) accomodation via Expedia and by buying my tickets direct from Disney on the internet. I don't know how happy I'd be to spend so much on a Disneyland hotel,especially as eating in the park was expensive.
The best rides were Big Thunder Mountain, Rock and Roll Rollercoaster and Pirates of the Carribean.Don't miss Honey I shrunk the audience and the Stunt show spectacular, both were really amazing experiences!
We ate at the Blue Lagoon one evening but the food was disappointing for the cost. Save your money and eat in Paris in the Latin Quarter one evening-Much better.
We used a really good guide called "A Brits guide to Disneyland Resort Paris" which was really good.
Other tips I'd give are Wear comfortable shoes, and don't go on Saturday or Sunday because Parisiens do fill the place up at weekends.
Go and have fun, and don't forget the romantic city itself!

23 Thank countysw
A TripAdvisor Member
“Living a Fairytale”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2005

It was a dream - especially for a 5 year old disney fan. Travelled to Paris for 5 days and combined Disney for the last 3 days of our Holiday. Together with my husband and 5 yr old daughter we had the time of our lives.

Disney is Disney - you have to live the magic and will become a child once again. It is rather expensive, but we were prepared for it and budgeted our costs prior to going there. We had a very good breakfast at Santafe, which is an excellent Hotel and ideal venue (very cheap compared with the other Hotels). Grabbed take-away fast food for lunchtime and dinner and managed disneyland park in 2 days and the studios on the 3rd day.

Reading other tripadvisor comments, we took their advise and headed off to the rides early, exactly at the opening times we were already in the park. Managed to do the majority of the rides between 09.00 and 11.00 am - no queues whatsover at the early hours. You will then have to wait in lines later on in the day, and had to really rush around from one ride to another in order to make the most out of it. Shows are NOT to be missed, especially Lion King and Tarzan - excellent performance.

Staff were very helpful and English language is used by all. The park itself was very clean and even the rest-rooms smelled of sweets!!!

Another tip for disney character lovers - do not queue and run after the disney characters whilst in the park. We only queued for the disney princesses, which are my daughter's idols as you do not see them anywhere else in the park, apart from the parade. All the other disney characters will be waiting for the kids in the Studios between 09.00 and 09.30 am. We walked in the Studios on Sunday morning at 09.00 am and found all the characters literally waiting for the kids. No queues, no pushing - managed to get autographs and photos with ALL!! Whilst in the park, the characters couldn't even move with the amount of kids (and adults) pushing for autographs and photos.

Walt Disney Studios is a must for cinema lovers. Both my husband and myself are big cinema fans and loved the park. We highly recommend the Train Tour, Cinemagique and Armageddon and above all the Motor Action Stunt Show - it was amazing.

Do not bother to shop during the park hours. The shops are crowded at all times and you need to queue to pay. Get to Disney Village after the park closing hours and souvenier shopping can be done at ease. Same prices everywhere in all shops - don't try to shop around!

Fantillusion and Wishes are marvellous - the lights / laser show and fireworks are the 'cherry on the cake' for a beautiful disney experience.

Will definately return to Disneyland Paris, but we will prefer having 5 full days instead of 3. This way we can manage to do both parks a little bit in comfort instead of rushing from 1 ride to another. We ended up to be exhausted in the end, but did not mind at all - had a wonderful time!

26 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 166 helpful votes
“Don't forget this Disney is in France!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2005

Disneyland Paris is a great holiday for the whole family! But there is one thing to remember-- it is in FRANCE, not the US. By this I mean that you can not go there thinking that you will have the same experience in France as you would in the US. You won't. And you will probably end up as disappointed as some of the other reviewers seemed to be.

Here are the differences:
1) People smoke there. People still smoke in France (and then some), so there will be people smoking at Disney.
2) The characters are often (but not always) not as warm and cuddly. French people are not as warm and cuddly...
3) Customer service is not as good. No country in Europe has customer service as good as in the US. I am an American living in Europe, this is a fact that I have come to accept.

The only truly bad aspect to Disney Paris is the food. It is extremely expensive, which is also the case in the US, but it is AWFUL. Really bad.

All's said, Disney Paris is STILL a great place to take the family, just don't forget that it is not Disney Orlando or Cali. It's French with all the 'charm' that goes with their culture.

15 Thank screennamesstink