“Disappointing ”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
“Disappointing ”
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Lovely garden & interior. We had high hopes. Very disappointing Sunday lunch. Potatoes tasted rubbery, chicken was drumsticks, cold Yorkshire pudding. Wife has fish and chips. Fish was all batter. Not worth £25 we paid overall. If you stop here get a bowl of chips / the highlight

Wallingford, United Kingdom
“Very poor value for money”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We went to this pub based on a previous visit about two years ago and because we were looking for a family pub servicing food on a Sunday evening - on this, it delivered. The staff were friendly and it is a nice setting but I was very disappointed with our food. I ordered a 'Light Bite' which by definition, I expected to be small. It was a salmon salad with an apple and beetroot puree and leaves. I ordered a portion of chips on the side and thank goodness I did or I think I would have come away incredibly hungry. The description of the salad was a 'fillet of salmon'. Quite frankly, it was less than a third of a size of a standard supermarket salmon fillet and at a price of £9.95, I had expected considerably more. I did complain and expressed my disappointment that it wasn't adequate for the price and the manager came to see me to say that the price was based on weight and standard mark ups. He rather ungraciously offered a money off voucher for our next meal but that was it and seemed rather unconcerned by my observations. Based on the fact my husband had ordered the steak (satisfactory but again overpriced), my children were eating and we had ordered drinks (my 250ml sauvignon blanc costed £8.00 alone!!!), I had expected a little more courtesy and action based on my feedback that I didn't feel the food met up to the price. Sadly, I have left feeling very disappointed - oh, and hungry! We won't be going back in a hurry. I'm certain other pubs in the area offer more value for money and although it has the capacity to be great, it fell rather short of that bar in this instance.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank Katie F
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Perfect Except....”
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

A lovely pub which is larger that first impression. A large garden with childrens play area.
A good selection of meals. The chicken, ham and leek pie was filled to bursting and the lamb shoulder was of a good size. Served with potatoes and a nice medley of mixed buttered veg.
the only downside was the meals were served on very cold plates and the lamb was slightly overcooked.
Would return again if in the area.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank sweetnecter0
Reading, United Kingdom
“Pack horse dinning”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

A chance visit followed by a planned visit, this time booked visit. Upon arrival reserved tabled was recognisable by our name labels .. Cool! staff were friendly, helpful and willing to offer advice when discussing the menu, even allowed items to be swapped ..now that's service.
Food was bliss , noted there were plenty of keg beers on offer but I like a good cider, so please ditch the trendy trash ciders and get some proper cider on board.

Another great point.. The pack horse is dog friendly !!! What a great place

• Visited May 2014
Reading, United Kingdom
“Always good...”
Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

A good local pub, with a spacious but busy restaurant attached. We frequently drop in at the Packhorse for a meal, and the food is of a consistently good standard and the service efficient and friendly.
Always a good guest beer available.

Visited May 2014