The Epiphyte Bed and Breakfast
Daintree Rainforest Retreat(Cow Bay)(Great Value!)
$101
$84
  • Pool
Cow Bay Hotel(Cow Bay)(Great Value!)
$93
  • Breakfast included
Daintree Ecolodge(Daintree)
$241
$211
  • Breakfast included
Club Tropical Resort(Port Douglas)
$116
$111
Mantra On The Inlet(Port Douglas)
Hotels.com
Saltwater Luxury Apartments(Port Douglas)(Great Value!)
$404
$363
  • Pool
Mantra Heritage(Port Douglas)(Great Value!)
$152
$133
$398
$366
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Reflections of Port Douglas(Port Douglas)(Great Value!)
$607
$560
Agoda.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsgolden orchidthe main housetropical fruitb bhomemade jamsthe managerssolar powerdaintree rainforestfruit plattereach morningother guestsoutdoor kitchencape tribulationbig tableprivate cottagemagical place to stayhibiscus cottage
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 3, 2011

After reading excellent reviews about this place before we left for our holiday we were totally shocked and let down by what we found. We were really looking forward to staying here and driving up the drive and being met by our host we still were really looking forward to it. It was only when we got into the house that we realised we would be cutting our trip short! It was absolutly filthy. The place clearly hadn't been cleaned in a very long time. The bathroom sink and all the tops was full of dead spiders and bugs. There were cobwebs and spiders everywhere. Everything in the lounge was covered in a thick layer of dust and dead bugs. We were aware that its the rainforest and theres lots of bugs around but these were not fresh spider webs or dead bugs, it just hadn't been cleaned in a very long time. There were no fly nets in the room so at night you need your mozzie net down, However it was full of holes so didn't really serve the purpose. There is no air-con but you can't use the ceiling fan as the mozzie net is attached to it! Instead you are provided with 2 old rusty fans to try and get as close to you as possible. We had the worse nights sleep ever, baking hot and paranoid I was going to wake up covered in bites.Bathroom horrible, rusty old shower and dirty. This place has the potential to do so well, its a beautiful house and the deck off the room is lovely. I'm not sure where its gone wrong since the previous good reviews,, they did say they are just house sitting for the owner, so maybe thats why its gone really down hill. Will definitely not recommend staying here to family and friends...

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank djlaw09
mattsomerset, Owner at The Epiphyte Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

I am very sorry you had this experience. As you can see from all the other Trip Advisor comments, we really are proud to offer a fantastic place to stay with truly welcoming hosts. Unfortunately you (and the only other visitor who gave a poor review) visited us when the long-term managers were away and in the middle of the wet season. I can guarantee guests our rooms are very clean, the B & B is a lovely place to stay and the hosts are really nice. Apologies again...but please return and experience our fantastic home away from home.

Reviewed November 17, 2010

I stayed twice within a few weeks at Epiphyte, and had a wonderful experience both times! First trip was a romantic get away, and the Golden Orchid retreat was fabulous! Tucked away in the gardens away from the main house, you felt all alone in the rainforest, and we were left to ourselves to enjoy the peace and tranquility. The simple but lovely log cabin was great, and we spent three romantic evenings on our own verander, sipping red wine and listening to the sounds of the forest. Each morning we awoke to a beautiful breakfast of home made muffins and fresh tropical fruit. It was all a divine experience.

Few weeks later I returned with Mum, to stay in the main house, a different experience, but if you want to be social, mix with the other guests, enjoy listening to a yarn or two from Glenda and Ernie and their interesting tales, then you will have a wonderful time.

I would recommend Epiphyte to anyone, a real rainforest experience.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2010

We stayed at the Epiphyte for 4 nights at the beginning of August 2010 and it was fantastic. We can recommend this accommodation to anyone who wants to experience nature in the midst of one of the oldest rainforests in the world. One of the highlights of our stay was the warm hospitality extended by couple who run the B&B another was the fantastic breakfast spread provided.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2010

What a wonderful place, I highly recommend it to anyone visiting the Daintree. We had a great stay - very relaxing, just wish we had longer! Thank you to Ernie & Glenda for their hospitality - we can't wait to go back! Jodi & Johnny, Melbourne

Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 8, 2010

This place is an absolute gem in the heart of Cow Bay, a perfect location to explore the Daintree rainforest. I read other reviews about Epiphyte on here and was planning on ringing them to book for the night but (I will warn you now) there is absolutely NO mobile service anywhere around there. I ended up showing up in their driveway a little after 5:00pm and Ernie greeted me from the porch with a warm, "Hello!" It already felt like home. I told them I was looking for a place to stay for the evening to which both he and his wife, Glenda, responded with a smiling "sure!"

Ernie pointed me to room 1 at the end, which has access from the porch and a private deck (note: all the rooms to have a private deck). He told me to make myself at home and come to the porch to meet the other guests, a nice Dutch couple staying for the evening as well. Glenda welcomed me to make a cup of tea or coffee if I liked and have a seat. They also warned me about the mozzies and showed me where the spray was located.

I didn't have a plan for the trip or evening and Ernie told me I was welcome to take a torch from their place and go on my own night walk in the rainforest or I could join the other couple on a two-hour night walk with Cooper's Wilderness Tours at 8pm. I decided I would love the insight from a local guide and asked Ernie what I needed to do to book the tour. He picked up the phone right then and called Cooper's and reserved the spot for me!

Breakfast the next morning was a WONDERFUL spread of fresh, local tropical fruit (enough to feed about 6 people, but the three of us took care of it quite well :) ) and meusli, cereals, toasts, and an array of spreads. Ernie and Glenda were so absolutely warm and inviting, offering great assistance and insight into local sights.

The best part? As I was leaving the next morning, reversing out of the driveway, I looked up to see Glenda on the porch waving me goodbye. It was such a treat to stay with this couple in such a heavenly nook. My only regret is not staying for longer! The only reason I gave "sleep quality" 4 instead of 5 stars was because it IS the rainforest so there ARE mosquitos... but there was a net around the bed which did help!

Thanks to you both!